• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Skynyrd

Skynyrd

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fayetteville Arkansas

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:32 PM

The wife brought home a yard sale find for me. A Tasco 11TR 4.5 inch, 900 mm. Japan, coated optics, refractor telescope with an equatorial tripod. The OTA has several dings in it, but still useable.......
The tripod is so hard to use that it makes it almost not worth using, eye piece is 20mm and not worth much...but the mirror looks really good. I was wondering if the old scope would be worth fixing up?
Can I put a 2 inch focuser and eye pieces on it.
Can I make a dob base for it? This is my first reflector and I would like to make it work....but not if it would be better to just buy a new scope from orion for $200, and be better off.
Any help would really go a long way for this newbie.
Really, I wanted to get an 8 inch reflector from Orion, but :foreheadslap: the wife brought this thing home to me....how cool is that? I got to love a woman who bears telescopes for me. :jump:

#2 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:36 PM

Very cool - how about a picture?

#3 Skynyrd

Skynyrd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:48 PM

Am I authorized to post pictures yet? Never tried....
The Tasco 11TR is red....pretty neat looking old scope.
I would think it must be from the 1980s, but I really don't know.
I guess it has been a couple decades since Tasco has put their name on a telescope made in JAPAN.....I think maybe the Japaneese part, is one reason I would like to save it.

#4 Falcon-

Falcon-

Aurora

• Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:18 PM

I have a earlier version of the same scope, mine is white but otherwise I believe they are just about the same (Tasco 11 TE-5). If the mirror is in good shape then yes, the scope is worth saving.

If you have not used an equatorial mount before it may or may not be in as bad shape as you suspect - but in any case you could indeed make a dob mount for it if the mount is not salvageable.

As for the focuser - your scope *may* have an old 0.965" sized focuser. You can certainly upgrade that to a 1.25" focuser (I did), but a 2" would be larger then is useful with that scope.

Yes you should be able to post pictures (and they will help!) you just have to keep them under 800 pixels wide and less then 125k file size. When you create a post or reply to a post you have an option to attach a file on the submit-confirmation page. :)

#5 Don W

Don W

demi-god

• Loc: Wisconsin, USA

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:41 PM

You can post pictures as long as they are yours.

#6 Skynyrd

Skynyrd

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:37 PM

I guess I will try the flea bay for parts, does anyone know of a good place for parts. I will need to talk to someone who will know what I need. I really don't have any support here local. The forum is the only place I have to ask questions.

#7 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:40 PM

Don't worry about minor dings in the tube ,they won't affect the view. The tripod/mount may just need a little penetrating oil if rusted,or maybe the various locking screws need to be adjusted.Equatorial mounts can be confusing.It is possible to adjust some equatorial mounts to az/el --simply set it for 0 degrees as though you were on the equator!Then the motion will be the same as a dobsonian mount without having to build one.
Changing to a 1.25" focuser is an eye-opener.But you can also find a few new(er) .965 on ebay and probably elsewhere.I like the Meade MA25mm .965 to give old scopes a new view.There are also 15mm Konig,and the .965 barlow will still work with those and probably be better than using the old SR4 for high power.

#8 BigC

BigC

Gemini

• Loc: SE Indiana

Posted 17 June 2011 - 10:45 PM

Do a search for 11tr telescope and you should find some good hints. There is a fellow on CN that has posted some nice pictures of, and taken through that scope.Tasco sold a LOT of those,and most other brands of 114mm/4.5" reflectors sold until the 90s are similar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics