• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 David Lane

David Lane

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Kansas City

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:26 PM

This is sort of a continuation of my observatory thread but now I'm curious about other peoples observatories. Painted a lot of the walls with liquid tin paint so it sparkles like crazy so I'm going to need to paint the walls some color I'm torn between a light color (white) and a dark color (black). Anyone have a suggestion? A color they particularly love? colors to avoid?

Thanks as always for the great ideas I get from the more experianced.

#2 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:53 PM

There will be thermal issues with dark colours. White or bare metal is traditional for that reason, but not always popular with HOAs and other non astronomers. (And wives...)

#3 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:30 PM

Are we discussing inside or outside walls? :grin:

Outside, I have light colored walls; inside presently med. blue walls, soon to be repainted to a dark blue.

#4 Mirzam

Mirzam

Skylab

• Loc: Lovettsville, VA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:06 PM

I once saw a "laser safe" room with flat black walls and thought it was pretty cool. So now my obs interior is flat black.

When taking astrophotos the black walls are helpful for reducing secondary reflections from the laptop screen. If my neighbor turns on his porch light the walls help reduce reflections from that as well.

JimC

#5 BPO

BPO

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: South Island, NZ

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:16 PM

Sorry, somehow I missed the "inside" part of the question. :foreheadslap:

#6 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:44 PM

Dark blue
Posted Image

#7 David Lane

David Lane

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

Is that felt on the walls Mary?

#8 David Lane

David Lane

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 25 June 2011 - 05:24 PM

I was thinking black so I could take people to the "black hole" :)

#9 Mike Clemens

Mike Clemens

Frozen to Eyepiece

• Loc: Alaska, USA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:01 PM

Mine is plain cedar inside and out... turning silver outside, looks pretty fresh inside. When it gets humid it smells like a cedar chest.

#10 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:35 PM

Mine is bare 2X4s and exterior plywood. Au naturale, as it were. A couple of pieces of peg board and that's about it. Well, the ceiling has that silver coated bubble insulation.

David

#11 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:11 AM

If you saw "what" I killed on my tan-beige walls tonight you might consider that pleasing color. My block walls are "cool" to the touch on these muggy nights and they are actually no brighter than the night sky....just a different shade in the night. :grin:Mike

#12 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:30 AM

Dark blue paint on the smooth side of OSB sheathing.

#13 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 26 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

For the exterior of Mount Jennings Observatory, siding similar to what is on the house was used.

Although there are some lights nearby I observe sitting down so they are not visible directly. To minimize the effect of local lighting however, I opted for flat black for the interior walls.

Don :usa:

Attached Files

#14 bluestar

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland Eastern Shore

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:25 AM

White vinyl on the outside.
Natural/bare wood but transitioning to pegboard interior but I haven't decided on the color...I do solar AND night observing so I'm leaning away from dark blue and black...absorb solar radiation and get hot. I'm leaning toward a neutral industrial/scientific gray that will highlight the brass rack containing the lab coats. :smirk:

Attached Files

#15 DeanS

DeanS

Gemini

• Loc: Central Kentucky

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:17 AM

My inside walls are black. Downsides are it is harder to see inside when closed unless I have bright lights on. And it makes my skies look worse in contrast to the very dark walls. Perhaps a neutral color would make the sky look darker.

#16 quantumac

quantumac

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:08 AM

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I've got medium gray on the inside and white on the outside. There was a book published many years ago about building observatories which recommended that color scheme for temperature equalization. I forget the name of the book. In theory I've still got it somewhere.

#17 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 05 July 2011 - 04:21 PM

My inside walls are black. Downsides are it is harder to see inside when closed unless I have bright lights on. And it makes my skies look worse in contrast to the very dark walls. Perhaps a neutral color would make the sky look darker.

Dean, Don't like being reminded of the light pollution we face? :)

Joe

#18 bluestar

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:44 PM

This is an interesting concept akin to fishing's "match the hatch"...match the skies. Shades of black, gray, tan...orange if you're near urban/suburban streetlights for that seamless experience. The sky color, some years back when I observed next to a Baltimore steel plant, would surely confound paint chips...it was other-worldly but I got some of my best planetary observations under that urban/industrial dome.

#19 bluestar

bluestar

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

Being somewhat of a traditionalist, I've got medium gray on the inside and white on the outside. There was a book published many years ago about building observatories which recommended that color scheme for temperature equalization. I forget the name of the book. In theory I've still got it somewhere.

I haven't read any old book (love to know the title if you stumble upon it) re color but this meshes with my color plan...for the same reason. Traditionalist...perfect for an old school observer like me and the D&G 8" f/12 Beast classic refractor. Great minds think alike :grin:

#20 rwiederrich

rwiederrich

Goldfinger

• Loc: Gorst Washington(center of the Universe)

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

I haven't read any old book (love to know the title if you stumble upon it) re color but this meshes with my color plan...for the same reason. Traditionalist...perfect for an old school observer like me and the D&G 8" f/12 Beast classic refractor. Great minds think alike :grin:

Well..I'm surely a traditionalist as far as my scope goes..but my OB is another thing. I prefer the old sail loft..boat shed theme personally. I decorate heavely in nautical..both in my office and in my OB....so I left the wood natural and I add enough wood items to tie it all together...plus I luv my nautical flags......
Just look in my Gold Mtn OB thread.

Rob

#21 mtlott

mtlott

Explorer 1

• Loc: Georgia

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

I went with "Star Spangled" from Home Depot. It's a really nice dark blue - WarmUp Room Walls

#22 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Dark blue walls, black with white stars rubberized flooring.

#23 1965healy

1965healy

The Snarkster

• Moderators
  • Loc: San Antonio, TX

Posted 18 September 2013 - 07:30 PM

Dark blue cabinets, black walls, dark grey rubber flooring.

#24 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:27 PM

Mine are medium blue; but next Spring I plan on repainting them a dark blue.

#25 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 18 September 2013 - 10:30 PM

Mine is a tan - yellow sort of color called 'wood', inside and out, Given enough time, it'll be a nice golden brown.....

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics