#1 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Portland Oregon

Posted 03 July 2011 - 09:40 PM

Posted Image
A 19" X 25" pastel sketch - July 1, 2011

An homage to Picasso and Dali's wife Gala, as I was influenced by telescopic observation of the moon since childhood, seeing Dali's art works in a 1939 LIFE magazine at age 13, the scene from atop Mount Tabor in Central Portland and then virtually duplicated Picasso's Blue Nude. As Picasso has said himself, "great artists will steal."

I scribbled this out in an hour yesterday; questions, comments, criticisms are strongly welcomed
- Mark Seibold ©2011

*Larger higher resolution version may be viewed at DP Review- at site, click on "Fullscreen" in above tool bar > http://www.dpreview....hotos/slideshow

#2 saywardstudio

saywardstudio

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:02 PM

Nicely done.

#3 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:28 PM

Very nice - especially the form and colour of the nude.

In some ways, the Moon and nude are not integrated, but contrasted:
The modernist depiction of the nude contrasts with an almost medieval Moon.
The Moon is a bit pointy at the bottom - so not as voluptuous as the nude. While the Moon is often female and "pregnant", I don't see this Moon that way. Perhaps an old love, or even a parent.

Interesting title, but hard to render in French.

I think the correct French would be "Le Nu Lune Bleue", if the phrase is "Blue Moon Nude"; i.e., the nude of the blue moon.

But, if it is the Nude that is blue, and not the Moon (as indeed is the colouration), then "Le Nu Bleu et La Lune."

These comments are not meant to be criticisms - the sketch is wonderful! - just personal responses.

#4 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 13 July 2011 - 12:18 AM

Rather an intriguing and iconic view of Portland from Mt. Tabor, with the Marquam and Fremont Bridges, the taller buildings in downtown Portland, and I assume those are the radio towers in the background.

I love the mixture of colors, and the dominance of the nude in the foreground. Almost conveys a surrealistic and even harsh view of the big city with the four streets converging on downtown Portland across a rather featureless, flat terrain.

Doesn't make me want to see Portland again anytime soon, though.

But, very nicely done!

John :refractor:

#5 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:08 PM

Thank you saywardstudio and Peg

Peg- That is the most input I have received on this art as yet since I sketched it on July 2. I merely translated with Google Translator The Blue Moon Nude- It comes out in French translation exactly as I titled it. But it is nice to see someone offer so much attention to detail and especially in language- I am quite interested in language and translations as this also applies to ancient astronomy from Latin, French, and other documented writing.

I appreciate your insight and would ask for more. Several people that I showed the original to, liked it; one lady said she might buy it but a gentleman said that he did not like the cityscape below in the center distance. He did not really say why. Can you comment on that?

Thanks again,

Mark

#6 dvb

dvb

different Syndrome.

• Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

I just toured the Surrealist exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. Your piece would have fit in very well.

#7 7331Peg

7331Peg

Sirius Observer

• Loc: North coast of Oregon

Posted 15 July 2011 - 12:35 AM

If you study the city closely, and let the full impression of it settle in for a few minutes, it seems (at least to me) to have a Gotham City kind of atmosphere to it. The flat terrain with the bare outlines of the streets converging at the center of the city, and the towers in the background partially immersed in the fog -- all of that gives a slightly harsh tone to the scene. And then add in the very large, slightly brooding moon hovering over all of it.

Anyway, my guess is that's what the person who didn't like the cityscape was reacting to.

But the more I look at the whole scene, the more I like it. There's a lot there to take in. And the colors really blend together very well, which is part of what makes it attractive.

One question: what are the ghost-like images to the right and left of the nude?

John :refractor:

#8 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 15 July 2011 - 04:45 PM

Thanks again to all

I apologize in my last response as I confused that two of you were the same person. Interesting that I just noticed Peg resides near here on the north Oregon coast. I too get my fill of the city and will eventually venture down to Cannon Beach often for photo shoots or to sketch from nature. You can see some of that in the DP Review link below. To answer your question about the side images, the actual scene may be reviewed in more realism with another recent past pastel image of the hilltop park at Mount Tabor with a setting crescent moon and Noctilucent Clouds. That pastel image was placed into the Astro Sketch Forums for discussion although it was more from direct observation so I fetl that it barely qualified for the technical sketch material there. You can see the actual surrounding park landscape and trees > http://www.cloudynig...5/o/all/fpart/1

Yet again in this Picasso and Dali-like sketch, I also borrowed from Picasso's Blue Nude; notice the random shapes in Picasso's foreground and other areas of his perimeter so I included a combination of the Picasso abstract and somewhat a compromise of the actual real landscape scene in the park. In this sketch I just added a few of the trees lineage to help in framing the otherwise emptyiness. Other artist friends say they would like to see this done with more desolation and less detail; which would move it more toward the bleakness of the Picasso or Dali's barren landscapes.

You also mentioned the "pointed moon"; that image was just roughed in or faked and not from direct observation- I did look a little at a past accurate sketch of the moon I made in 2008 with similar threee quarter gibbous phase for reference but I have the moons lighted side turned to the wrond side if one sees that the sun sets below right to the northwest at this time of year- The image is rendered from looking west toward the city from Mt Tabor. As you also mentioned the flat terrain of the ciy. Other than Portland's West Hills seen over downtown, I did not include the other hills throughout the city as they are not visible in this small framed scene. Portland does have some flat terrrain in areas but overall it is really surrounded with many hilly regions and covered with parks and gardens- This is why it is recently voted in surveys across America as the most European-like city now. *As I reread your response about the lack of features of the city in this work, I just edited to add a more elaborate image of the city that you might like with much of the cityscape and much more details- It was a recent revisited sketch of the noctilucant clouds as observed in July 2009 from the same hilltop location on Mt Tabor as a local store wanted to display it; although I gave the original to my daughter so I recreated a new version in late May 2011- Please see the better high resolution image in DP Rreview; the address link is below the image here- Also below in the next continued post, the actual photo of the event in the sky on July 23rd 2009 and then myself added as producing it- a bit of Photoshop cut and paste of the actual event being sketched- That 22" X 30" pastel sketched image was originally displayed in the Sketch Forums a coule months ago, yet the first original was here in late on the July 24th 2009 but was not here in the AstroArt. You can see my gallery to review those. The latter work is now included below here.

I plan on doing many variatiions of this same work, possibly as Warhol made new duplicate generations of the same prints with a slight variation to each. Many artists have been shown to plagiarize their own work.

To respond to dvb: Thank you. I am honored to be compared with great surreal artists that displayed in a large exhibit in Vancouver. Can you tell me which Vancouver you are indicating? I assume that is Vancouver BC and not Vancouver Washington in my local metro Portland Oregon area? Can you describe some of the surreal images that you saw? I hope to at least see a sample of this online. Can you direct me to a website of the art at the exhibit?

*Also, you may like seeing my www.markseibold.com (also other than the front page, see the upper right icons “About” and About Me”) Also see the gallery here of many pages with 12 per page- Early works were mostly or only of the sun, then finallly I turned to the moon and entered many technical scientific sketches in the Astro Sketch Forum contests here, winning more against the photography than any other artists there. >
http://www.cloudynig...&stype=&ppuser=

And the DP Review where the screen can be enlarged to a total black background with the upper middle tool bar controls> “Slideshow-Start”, then in the next window, “Fullscreen.” There are over 6 pages holding the thumbnail index and including over 100 images of my art and photography >
http://www.dpreview....7/photos#page=1

Thanks again,
Mark
Posted Image *A higher resolution image may be viewed here in DP Review- At site, click in upper tool bar on "Slideshow-Start", then in next window, click in the upper tool bar on the icon "Fullscreen", and allow your mouse to rest by pushing it out of the screen. In a few seconds the boarders and toll bars will disappear for your maximum viewing pleasure. Return your mouse cursor to select other images at bottom thumbnail index of over 100 images to repeat your viewing of many other images. *Arrow <Left or Right> as each page holds only 20 thumbnail images of the over 100 images total > http://www.dpreview....by-mark-seibold

#9 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 04 September 2011 - 05:31 PM

Interesting concept.

#10 rick rian  Happy Birthday!

rick rian

Seeker of Truth(s)

• Loc: Upper Mid West

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:45 PM

Very nice, Mark! :waytogo:

#11 markseibold

markseibold

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:43 AM

Thank you Gene T and Rick

This was the last pastel that I rendered. I am overdue for some new work and may start something new any day now. If any of you have any advice or have seen my technical approved renderings in the sketch forums or once in Astronomy Picture of the Day Nov 17th 2006 or many times in Spaceweather.com, please feel free to write and advise me as to what you might like to see in a large pastel. I am open for ideas.

Thank you,

Mark
www.markseibold.com
My CN Gallery
Mark Seibolds DP Review - 140 images

#12 timwetherell

timwetherell

Messenger

• Loc: A Land Down Under

Posted 22 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

Beautiful work :)

#13 Rutilus

Rutilus

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 02 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

Lovely work.

#14 orionthehunters

orionthehunters

Vanguard

• Loc: england

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Great work Mark good to see your still at it (not been online for months here). great stuff! :)

#15 Zul

Zul

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Lithuania

Posted 26 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

Beautiful paintings :)

#16 JeanB

JeanB

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Montreal, Canada

Posted 20 August 2012 - 12:05 PM

I am always impressed by your work, Mark.

Jean

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics