By Dr. Willie K. Yee.

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:18 PM

Thanks Willie!

Those look like entertaining resources.

It kind of reminds me of one of my old favorites from Edmund Scientific's heyday.

Regards,

Jim

#3 ken hubal

ken hubal

Apollo

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:18 PM

Thanks Willie.
Guy Ottewell's publication is a great companion for use at the desk as well as in the field!
Ken

#4 Jim Shaffer

Jim Shaffer

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 17 July 2011 - 06:00 PM

It's been a long time since I've bought one of Ottewell's calendars (and the price reflects this, yikes!), but I thoroughly enjoyed them when I did. I always thought of them as sort of like a yearly edition of Burnham's Celestial Handbook, because Ottewell's narrative style, incorporating historical and liberal arts references along with voluminous scientific data, reminded me of Burnham's.

#5 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

Did anyone prefer the longer version (link in the article)? I had a long debate with my beta readers on how long to leave it.

#6 starsplitter_ne

starsplitter_ne

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: CT

Posted 09 August 2011 - 02:50 PM

I first saw this atlas when I first started out in astronomy. A very good friend who I've since lost (no he didn't die, he just disappeared...Email me Les you big weenie!) handed me one the night of first light for my first 5" refractor. I was stunned at the beautiful maps and charts, but mostly that I was pretty much able to understand most of what was there. Since that day I have not missed a year. Some years I hardly use it, others I use it constantly. I'm with a very active club (ASNH) and check it every time I go out or to some public outreach, so I can see what to look for. It's also very useful for tracking meteor showers, eclipses and occultations. Most of all it's cool to show to newbies and oldbies and see their expressions. Also nice to sit back and just peruse it when you have time. IMHO a worthwhile investment for any astro buff.

#7 Jim Rosenstock

Jim Rosenstock

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: MD, south of the DC Nebula

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:56 AM

Did anyone prefer the longer version (link in the article)? I had a long debate with my beta readers on how long to leave it.

Doc Willie,

I FAR preferred your long version. I'm a big fan of Ottewell's calendar (as well as the RASC Handbook), and you need the longer review to do it justice.

Great review! :bow:

Jim

#8 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

As the year end approaches, if I had to order only one, I would get the RASC guide, based on what I have actually used during the year.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics