• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 JonM

JonM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 29 July 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hello Everyone,

I'm a new guy here who just got interested in these small aperture classic refractors after I had a conversation with one of your members (Jon). So, I was looking for a cheapo on FleaBay and purchased a Sears Discoverer 46333-a Model that looked like it was in fair to good condition. I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. Can any of you tell me anything about that model?

Jon

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 29 July 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi Jon, and welcome.

The 6333-A scopes were made over a considerable period of time (late 1960s through late 1970s I'd guess). I have a 1976-78 version. It looks very similar to another CNers earlier version; the main difference being some details on the latitude scale attached to the mount head. His is brass tone and mine is black painted.

The scopes themselves were fabricated by a Japanese firm called Towa for Sears. You'll see a Circle-T symbol on the tag on your focuser when you get yours. I really like the distinctive color scheme Sears chose for these scopes. Sort of a gray-blue with teal-blue dew shade and focuser trim.

The scopes are equipped with a 0.965" "Japanese standard" focuser. In more recent times the industry has largely abandoned the Japanese 0.965" standard for eyepiece and accessory barrel diameters in favor of the 1.25" American standard and even larger 2" accessories. The three 0.965" eyepieces that come with the scope aren't bad, but likewise aren't great either, lacking eye relief in the shorter focal lengths.

There are quality vintage 0.965" eyepieces available, as well as diagonals with a 0.965" nosepiece and 1.25" tailpiece allowing use of 1.25" eyepieces with a 0.965" format focuser.

These focusers feature a manually extendable focuser draw tube segment that you'll need to slide out in order to reach focus at infinity. Optical quality is decent. All in all, these are fun and functional little scopes. I think the mount and its lack of stability is the weakest link. I use mine on a modern mount as a result.

Here are a few pictures of what you have to look forward to:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 JonM

JonM

Vostok 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm sure the example I will receive will not be near as perfect as yours but, I just want it to look at and probably won't really use it very much to look through.I am pretty much into astro-photography now using a 120ed refractor on an Atlas mount. I wanted something that would remind me of my old Jason and this one was available. I will try to make it look nice. Hope all the parts are there. It will look nice set up in the den.

#4 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 31 July 2011 - 10:14 PM

Hi Jon.

My first scope was an old Jason too, and the 6333-A was my foray into the past. The Sears/Towa scopes are considerably nicer put together than the old Jasons. Also, I wouldn't be afraid to mount it up to the Atlas (if you can figure out how to adapt the tube clamp to a Vixen doveail - I couldn't) and enjoy some nostalgia.

The mounts on these scopes really are their Achilles heel. The optics are quite good as are the OTA mechanicals.

Enjoy!

- Jim

#5 DJD57

DJD57

Soyuz

• Loc: NORCO,LA. USA

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:20 PM

Hey jim on another subject i wanted to ask you personally if the 9mm fullerscope eyepiece with the N.S. sticker on the side of the eyepiece you think it will be the same qualtiy and sharpness as a uo orthoscopic with my sears 6344 76mmf/16 refractor you think it will be sharp fron on-axis to the off-axis looking at the planets dale

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics