MS Lifecam Studio/Cinema Side-by-side Mod

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 AFAdrenaline

AFAdrenaline

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

just for fun i tried this on m42 last fall... more or less worthless in this regard from what i was able to try... not that I tried that hard. of course if anyone tries and has any luck i'd be thrilled to hear about it.

#52 JoeM101

JoeM101

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: 45.66086, -73.54702

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:21 PM

The fact the camera is limited to 1 sec exposures makes all the difference. If there were a mod available or maybe even a software solution to take quarter frames or something like that, there may be hope. I know of a mod i'm sure people have heard of, it's one conceived by a chap named Steve Chambers for a couple of ccd cams like the toUcam, being that this camera has a CMOS chip maybe the reason no one has done it, not sure.... I think most DSLRs use a CMOS and i imagine if someone undertook the challenge and got it done, this cam could prove to be pretty good for planetary and DSO imaging.

anyhow, i have a thread on peltier cooling for this cam, one that i'm hoping to undertake as soon as i get my 15mm x 15mm peltier. I find it gets pretty hot after only a few minutes of use, so, i cut away the housing to expose the aluminum coldfinger, as shown in the images below, that connects to the back of the chip where i will be placing the peltier... so if i could get a mod for long exposure combined with the peltier cooler, well... here's dreaming :thinking:

Posted Image
Posted Image

notice the teflon tape around the front of the housing... this works great, it allows me to simply screw it into the adapter for a tight fit, centering the unit precisely every time

#53 enklined

enklined

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Sacramento, Ca

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:31 PM

You don't need to cut anything. Just open the front cover and remove the lens, leave the autofocus system in place. It will even offer some kind of protection to your sensor.

I found out too late.

Any truth to this?

Also, is this the 1.25" extension tubes you used, AFAdrenaline? http://agenaastro.co...-extension.html

#54 GpB311

GpB311

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, CA

Posted 08 August 2012 - 01:02 PM

I only have an orion shorty barlow and will be looking at televue powermates since it seems a number of people use those for this. Is 2x the best choice or can higher powers be used?

#55 ROursamajor

ROursamajor

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Braila, Romania

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:11 AM

Hi! I modified a Lifecam 6000HD and I want to buy another Lifecam. Which one is better for astro purposes between Cinema and Studio?

PS: http://www.astronomy...=10384&start=15

#56 bigcountrysky

bigcountrysky

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:51 AM

Nice writeup!

Did you happen to take measurements of the sensor's physical size (ie, millimeters height x width overall) while you had the webcams open? I'm looking to modify one of these with a wide-field lens, and I can't find the sensor size specs anywhere--I need that last bit of info to calculate angle of view. =/

Thanks!

#57 ROursamajor

ROursamajor

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Braila, Romania

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:17 AM

http://astro-forum.f...am-modificat...

I updated the link from above... who were expired.

No, I didn't took measurements, but you can check technical data sheets of the sensors.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics