• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:49 AM

I was wondering if anyone had looked at traveling to a favorable location for observing?

Anyone looked at getting a solar scope or solar filter for their scope?

Has anyone considered any locations for travel to, granted most of the USA is going to be able to see it the event, but some places have more favorable weather.

Has anyone looked for any specific outreach events, or are planning on doing any?

I have been surfing the net while I consider staying close to home and chancing it with the weather while buying a solar scope VS traveling to a major observatory or center who would have a scope(s) already set up. Getting my own scope would be nice, but when I had my previous Lunt scope I really didn't use it that much, so I have a harder time justifying the cost. However they have brought out the smaller scope since I had my scope.

Thoughts anyone?

(The transit occurs on June 5–June 6 in 2012 depending on where on the globe you are.)

#2 MikeBOKC

MikeBOKC

Aurora

• Loc: Oklahoma City, OK

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:02 PM

Since it is a late afternoon event I am sure many local clubs will do public outreach viewings.

Also, given the fairly perpetual backorder status for many solar scopes and the likely uptick in demand for them as this event approaches, I would bet that anyone who waits until spring to try to get a solar scope will be sorely disappointed.

#3 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 10 August 2011 - 01:43 PM

Early morning for me - but I'm going out to Cyprus as that adds an hour to the period I can observe and the clear sky stats are favourable at 90%!

#4 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:26 PM

I will probably travel to clear skies as long as it isn't over about 4 hours. To determine that, I will make a decision about a couple days to a week before the transit.

#5 RenoNV

RenoNV

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South South Reno

Posted 10 August 2011 - 04:32 PM

The "favorable" location for viewing the entire transit appears to be out in the Pacific between Wake and Saipan. Most of the US West Coast will settle for late afternoon til sunset. You can just barely see Venus against the sun with eclipse sunglasses, as I learned the other week (big sunspot groups are visible to the naked eye). The local groups are talking about outreach and broadcast now, I might be able to do something from the location I am planning.

I watched the last transit via WWW and the best thing I did was watch real-time from two widely distant locations. It was very clear that Venus appeared differently and that trigonometry would indeed size the Solar System.

#6 rfic1

rfic1

Messenger

Posted 10 August 2011 - 05:18 PM

I'm actually glad some of the transit will be visable at sunset. The last was a early morning transit. The morning sky was hazy and you were able to look at dim rising orange colored sun without optical aid just like a summer sunset. I remember seeing the black dot on the surface giving you a unique perspective. That was more memorable than viewing the disc on the sun through my scope.

#7 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 13 August 2011 - 01:51 AM

I got a full aperture solar filter from Orion for my 120mm achro, and I hope to tape the entire event (or as much as I can) for posterity using my Meade Electronic Eyepiece (a wonderful little device!)
I also got a PST recently so I can watch the event from various vantage points in my yard. (Those PST's are really great!)
So, I've done about as much as I can to try and capture it. The only problem will be the weather - it's usually about 115 degrees that time of year.

#8 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:55 PM

I’ve created preview graphics of the transit as seen from sixteen cities. The views are in horizontal (alt-az) coordinates with zenith continually toward to top, which explains the seemingly curved paths of Venus across the solar disk. They can be seen at www.CurtRenz.com/venustransit . I may add more cities, if I get a significant number of requests.

#9 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:40 PM

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is does not exist to those from chicago.

You really do good work and I appreciate what you do but I really do feel slighted on this one.

#10 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:48 PM

Curt:

Thanks.. Looks like it will be decent from San Diego...

Jon

#11 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2011 - 08:50 PM

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Miami, Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Washington, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is unimportant to those from chicago.

Apparently you forgot to put on your eyeglasses. Miami and Washington are on the list, Houston too. Chicago is the only Midwestern city. You also seem to have overlooked my offer to accept suggested locations. Since you want to be nasty about it, I’ll let you do the work creating graphics for other cities. Too bad the secession attempt was unsuccessful.

#12 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:01 PM

Curt:

Jon

You’re welcome, Jon; thank you for your understanding response. Indeed, the Los Angeles graphic should do fairly well for you. If I get more requests for San Diego, I may add it.

#13 idealistic

idealistic

Viking 1

• Loc: massachusetts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 09:33 PM

Too bad the secession attempt was unsuccessful.

:usa: Thats classic.

#14 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:31 PM

Wow, nothing in the South or Southeastern USA. Not Atlanta, Charlotte, Norfolk, Nashville or New Orleans. I guess this part of the country is does not exist to those from chicago.

You really do good work and I appreciate what you do but I really do feel slighted on this one.

Curt,
You should have quoted the whole post. I said that you do great work and I appreciate what you do. Sorry you got upset. I just felt slighted and said it, that's all, nothing more.
:foreheadslap:

#15 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

Curt,
You should have quoted the whole post. I said that you do great work and I appreciate what you do. Sorry you got upset. I just felt slighted and said it, that's all, nothing more.
:foreheadslap:

Apparently you edited in your final sentence and edited out two cities in your first reply to me. Among the sixteen cities in my list, only nine are in the contiguous 48 states. Only one is in the northeastern US and only one is in the Midwest. Two are in the Rocky Mountain region and two are on the Pacific coast. The two (or three if we count Washington) in the South seems to leave that region fairly represented. When choosing them I considered wide dispersal that would allow for interpolation by those residing in between. I also stated that I was accepting suggestions. There probably will be quite a few between now and June. My brother and his family live in North Carolina. I figured I would eventually hear from him and add his city. Here in the Midwest we do not look gift horses in the mouth.

#16 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:52 PM

Perhaps I should have looked at your charts before I spoke. There isn't that much difference between Washington and Miami. So let me apologize for speaking out to quickly. :rainbow:

I still think you do a good job. Thanks for the hard work that I know you do not have to do.

#17 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:56 PM

Curt:

Jon

You’re welcome, Jon; thank you for your understanding response. Indeed, the Los Angeles graphic should do fairly well for you. If I get more requests for San Diego, I may add it.

Curt:

I looked at the LA graphic and the SF graphic and there wasn't a huge difference so I figured 100 miles wasn't a big deal...

Besides, if I get too picky I might just upset the Cloud Gods and we all know what that means.

Jon

#18 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:00 PM

Perhaps I should have looked at your charts before I spoke. There isn't that much difference between Washington and Miami. So let me apologize for speaking out to quickly. :rainbow:

I still think you do a good job. Thanks for the hard work that I know you do not have to do.

Okay, all is forgiven. My godparents live in Alabama (godfather born there) so I know southerners can be quite hospitable.

#19 Tommy5

Tommy5

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:12 PM

Thanks Curt let's hope for good weather, i remember seeing the transit in the morning a few years ago, being 2 for 2 for transits in chicago weather wiil almost make up for 103 years of no Cubs world series victory.

#20 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Thanks Curt let's hope for good weather, i remember seeing the transit in the morning a few years ago, being 2 for 2 for transits in chicago weather wiil almost make up for 103 years of no Cubs world series victory.

You’re welcome, Tommy. Indeed, the weather was fine here for the morning of the transit in 2004. Let's hope for a repeat in 2012. I’m watching the Cub game right now as they blow a lead. They certainly will go at least 104 years before they can win a World Series championship. At least the White Sox grabbed one six years ago. Maybe we shouldn’t talk about that, or somebody will somehow find a way to blame us Chicagolanders for there being no MLB teams in the Carolinas.

#21 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 19 August 2011 - 08:09 PM

Hopefully it'll be clear here in Tomahawk. :praying:

The Sky Tools 3 simulation shows it beginning at 5:08pm and lasting past sunset. Thankfully there won't be a need to set the alarm clock this time (i have a bad allergy to those things :lol:). Last time, the clouds at sunrise only allowed a 10 minute view but hey, at least i got to see it. :grin:

#22 PJ Anway

PJ Anway

Double-Star Observer

• Moderators
  • Loc: North Coast

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:28 PM

Curt,

I used SkyTools 3 to make a transit path for my local (46°23', 86°40'). It does't seem to have the "hook" that yours have. Not sure why the difference?

Attached Files

#23 Centaur

Centaur

Vendor

• Vendors

Posted 21 August 2011 - 09:20 PM

Curt,

I used SkyTools 3 to make a transit path for my local (46°23', 86°40'). It does't seem to have the "hook" that yours have. Not sure why the difference?

There’s nothing wrong with your image, PJ. It appears to be formatted in equatorial coordinates, i.e. celestial north is toward the top. Please reread my first post in this thread for a description of the coordinates that I utilized. The Earth’s rotation produces the curved hook.

#24 LivingNDixie

LivingNDixie

TSP Chowhound

• Moderators
  • Loc: Trussville, AL

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:26 PM

Well I just thought I would give this a quick bump... I have been looking for a scope to travel with. I am really considering the AT72 with the Voyager mount. Anyone else been thinking about a solar filter or anything. I really want to get this scope ordered once I get my Christmas bonus... I am just concerned there will be a dash for filters as the transit draws near.

#25 BrentAbba

BrentAbba

Vostok 1

• Loc: FL

Posted 20 October 2011 - 02:17 PM

Can I put in a request for someplace like Vancouver or Seattle? :question: Or how would I interpolate from Anchorage?

Brent

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics