Photo

Would you buy a Skywatcher SkyTee 2 if available ?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:35 PM

If available in the USA that is....

After seeing this mount offered by Skywatcher but not available in the USA I wrote to Skywatcher.

Not the Celestron division (although I did mail them they have not replied)
but Skywatcher themselves.

Initially they responded as follows...

Unfortunately, this product is not being considered for the North American market at the moment. If you would like to order one, you might have to order it online through Optical Limited Vision.

I thanked them & mentioned I would look online but I thought there could be a real demand in North America

They wrote back....

We are sorry about the inconvenience, but it's an item that the Head Office is really not sure about.
If they would import this product to North America, how big of a demand you would think there will be?
It is a very complicated question for you to answer, but if you would to estimate. How much you think would be in demand?

Cheers,

Sky-Watcher Support

So I told them I would ask here on CN for them & see if there was much interest.

For those that have not seen it here it is....
SKYTEE-2

Please give your input & I will relay it to support.

Thanks

#2 jason_milani

jason_milani

Vanguard

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:25 PM

I've seen that mount in a previous posting and it looks impressive and unique. It looks as though you can operate 2 scopes independently. I would be interested.

#3 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:14 PM

Apparently, I was the first person to inquire about this mount, both to Skywatcher USA, and to Celestron, as directed by Skywatcher. Neither had any interest. In fact, Celestron never even acknowledged my message, nor responded to it...

So I bought an Orion Sky View AZ instead, even though I believe the SKYTEE 2 is a better mount, based on a lot of research, listening to what European (mostly UK) customers had to say about theirs... Too bad neither Skywatcher nor Celestron had any interest in bringing it here... I'd have bought it in a heartbeat then...

I *might* be interested, but, then, I also remember trying to convince them it was a good idea once before...

I've begun to like the Sky View AZ mount better every day... And Orion is behind that one, so I know I'll get good customer service if needed, even though I couldn't talk THEM into bringing the SKYTEE 2 into the US either...

#4 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

Thanks Jan

Yes yours was the first mention of it I had seen.

Also like you I have never heard back from Celestron....
No big surprise there

#5 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 10:54 PM

Here's a little of the stuff I dug up when I was getting ready to buy the SKYTEE 2 from a UK dealer...

http://stargazerslou...impression.html

#6 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 16 August 2011 - 11:03 PM

Another...

http://stargazerslou...skytee-2-a.html

#7 drshr

drshr

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Darwin, Australia

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:32 AM

Isn't it the same as the Orion AZ?

#8 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:52 AM

Isn't it the same as the Orion AZ?

The Orions do not have slo-mo controls or a counterweight ability. Also the Orion is rated at 25lbs each side but the SkyTee is rated at 15kg/33lbs each side

Thanks for the links Jan

#9 AlienRatDog

AlienRatDog

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ann Arbor

Posted 17 August 2011 - 06:49 AM

I like the slow motion controls...when are they going to clone the TREX mount?

#10 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 17 August 2011 - 07:35 AM

I really don't like the vixen saddle on top of the altitude arm, should be on the same plane for better balance and though it does has a cw, the whole setup looks like a pita to balance.

The SV MG2 looks like a better option, if a twin arm, slow motion control alt/az is desired.

#11 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:13 PM

Your concerns are valid, but only for folks who want to mount two scopes at the same time...

I have no plans to put two scopes on the mount, so balancing would be quite straightforward for me (though I have posted a photo or two of my new Sky View AZ mount with two refractors onboard simultaneously - that was a photo-op, and not the real world for me - most of the photos I've posted have had only one scope mounted).

With the counterweight bar in the horizontal position opposite the horizontal dovetail saddle (with appropriate weights, if any), and one scope in the horizontal dovetail saddle, it's perfect for scopes right up to the stated carrying capacity.

It's pretty hard to make anything that'll make everyone happy...

#12 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:27 PM

The counterweight issue is easy to fix. See photo.

Attached Files

#13 Kingbreaker

Kingbreaker

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: The only light dome in Vermont

Posted 17 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

I have an mg2 on order now. If this had been available, I absolutely would have considered it. There is a dearth of inexpensive alt az, slow-mo mounts that can carry a decent sized scope. The dual mounting feature is cool but not a priority for me.

#14 Chris Drage

Chris Drage

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: London UK

Posted 18 August 2011 - 09:59 AM

I did and I love it! One proviso though....you do need to change those cheap and nasty little saddles it is provided with for something a bit stronger/heavier duty - especially if you are using heavy scope (i.e. >4kg. That done this mount has everything you could wish for except perhaps for a couple of flexible, slo-mo controls for use with BIG scopes. I use this mount with both an FLT110 and Lunt60/BF1200DS solar scope and it works a treat as it is. I particularly like the fact that the horizontal saddle plate is adjustable in two axes thus making ideal for honing in on another close target.

#15 dscarpa

dscarpa

Gemini

• Loc: San Diego Ca.

Posted 18 August 2011 - 10:38 AM

Put me down as very interested. I have my overweight C9.25 on a Giro 3 which is stable with it but the mount doesn't have slomo. Action is smooth but the mass of the scope makes tracking not as easy as my WO EZTouch with a IM715. David

#16 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 18 August 2011 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for all the replies so far.
I am sure Skywatcher will be interested to hear not just
the reasons why you would buy it if it were available.
But also any reasons why you would not.

I did get a response from Celestron yesterday

Thanks for your inquiry.

Not at this time.

Please contact:
http://www.skywatche...tinc/index2.php

So I am glad I did in fact contact SkyWatcher directly to begin with.
Also interesting was skywatchers comment
"There are many products that we are interested in bringing them into North America."

Thanks

#17 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:18 PM

I would buy one if I didn't already have one! There is a review of one on e Stargazerlonge.com site from 2005 that makes it look very good indeed. Sitl waiting for the used one I purchased to arrive, but for a higher end AltAz mount it looks great.

#18 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Surveyor 1

• Loc: S.E. PA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:02 PM

What is the cost for this mount in American dollars?

#19 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 01 September 2011 - 04:23 PM

What is the cost for this mount in American dollars?

I have only seen prices in the UK
Looks to average GBP 230 pounds or $372 Head only

And GBP 312 pounds or $504 with Tripod & Head

#20 Wilsonman

Wilsonman

Surveyor 1

• Loc: S.E. PA

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:01 PM

At $504, it might be a bit too pricey unless it proves to be a great mount. Would like to see it @ $400- that's just my opinion. :question:

#21 astroneil

astroneil

Surveyor 1

• Loc: res publica caledoniae

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:16 PM

Hi,

I've had this mount for just a wee while and I am quite impressed with it. It has a few little issues but it works brilliantly (I was pleasantly surprised) with my 4" f/15 classic refractor as well as my 5" f/9 semiapo. I enjoyed some high magnification views of Jove through the 5" glass sitting comfortably and using the slow mo extension cables - an absolute must IMO for longer refractors. Tracking at high power is very good! I have also found that the head is not raised off the ground nearly as much as I'd like. That's why I ordered up a 16" half pillar that mates to the tripod and allows the head to sit on top. An additional £89 UK cost plus shipping.Should be here tomorrow. I'll post some pics once it's all set up.
Link here:
http://www.widescree...n_for_EQ5_.html

First pic shows my 5" refractor.

Regards,

Neil. ;)

Attached Files

#22 astroneil

astroneil

Surveyor 1

• Loc: res publica caledoniae

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:17 PM

And here is the Skytee with my 4" f/15 classical achromat

Attached Files

#23 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:35 PM

If you think about it, $504 probably isn't out of line, given it's greater payload capacity, AND the slo-motion controls, when compared to the SkyView AZ at $449. However, it's your money, so it's also your opinion that counts for your own use, for SURE...

I knew what the price would be, but I still tried to get Skyview USA, and their compatriots at Celestron, not to mention even Orion, to bring the SKYTEE 2 to the US, all to no avail.

So I bought the SkyView AZ, because I could GET one here, not because I thought it was a better mount, or a better value.

I certainly like my SkyView AZ, but I'd still have rather had the SKYTEE 2...

#24 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:46 PM

With those scopes of yours, you'll like the pier extension you have enroute... Nice looking scopes they are, too!

I also use the 16" extension with my SkyView AZ mount(since I couldn't convince anyone here in the US to bring the SKYTEE 2 here, and was nervous about ordering one direct from the UK without having experience with any sellers there). It makes a great match with my EON 120...

Attached Files

#25 ioflying

ioflying

Ranger 4

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

Yes the price seems ok to me too.

Reason being I really looked around when I decided I wanted an Alt-Az
I think I looked at all of them including, ES,Orion,Vixen,UA etc. I saw only one available in the US that met the requirements of payload capacity (thinking ahead for a heavier scope) + having slow motion controls.

That was the Stellarvue MG2. That head is $379 or $500 with tripod & is wait listed. So the SkyTee2 seems like a fair price. Also the MG2 holds 20lbs per side & the SW 33 lbs per side.Through Jan's posts I saw the SkyTee2... & thought That would really fit the bill.

As detailed in the OP I wrote SW & they were very nice & seemed really interested in what I though about it being viable in the US. Their last response thanked me & said they were forwarding it to management so we will see if anything ever comes of it. I mentioned to them I thought their product would do well & the lack of comparable mounts in the USA. So we will see.

For now I am ok because I have converted my SVP to alt-az & am very happy with it. But if the SkyTee2 comes to the US I would still buy one for future heavier scopes.

Thanks for the pics Neil nice to see one in actual use. Please post a shot with the pier extension when you get it if you can

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics