Photo

Would you buy a Skywatcher SkyTee 2 if available ?

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#76 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:03 PM

After reading through this thread I've searched high and low looking for any distributors that have these in stock. No luck! Canadian telescope had the Duo-T at one point, but appear not to sell them anymore. Have they dropped off the market due to problems with the mounts or lack of demand? Figures I come late to the party on mount that would be perfect for my needs!
Btw Joh, awesome job on mod-ing up yours!

Don't know why Canadian Telescope stopped selling their version of the mount but I doubt that it was because of problems with it. I had a SkyTee II and loved it. If you can fInd one buy it. Don't know what shipping would be from Europe, that may make it prohibitively expensive. For about $400 without the tripod it was a great buy.

Mike

#77 MLB

MLB

Lift Off

• Loc: NOVA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:29 PM

Mike,
I posted a "Wanted" in the classifieds, watch and wait I guess. I agree, haven't really seen bad postings on them. I have family that travels to Europe fairly frequently, I suppose just the mount would fit in a carry on bag. We'll see which one pans out first.......

#78 Mkofski

Mkofski

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 09:51 PM

The mount would fit easily in a carry on bag but is on the heavy side. About 15 to 20 pounds as I remember. It fits nicely on a CG5 tripod and uses the same size counterweight. Good luck finding one.

#79 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:34 PM

"Would you buy a Skywatcher SkyTee 2 if available ? If available in the USA that is...."

Nah.

There's no shortage of good alt-az mounts available in the USA. Desert Sky Astro, Disc Mounts, Half Hitch, T-Rex, UA, etc.

CT sold a similar Chinese import called the Duo T for awhile, too.

http://www.cloudynig...wflat.php/Cat/1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11/Number/5137585/Main/5135042

Not sure why they dropped it, but I believe it was in the $450 range.

Regards,

Jim

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics