4 replies to this topic

#1 HuskyDude

HuskyDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 29 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

OK my first post. Be gentle.
My CPC800 should be on its way soon. I'm very interested in purchasing a Binoviewer also before they ship it. Has anyone tried the WO Bino with a set of Hyperion Zooms in it? Would this be recommended and if not why? I still have so so much to learn. Thx :help:

#2 Astrojensen

Astrojensen

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Bornholm, Denmark

Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Sounds like an interesting combo to me, if somewhat expensive! The Hyperion III zooms are not cheap... And I'd recommend the Baader Maxbright bino over the WO any day, as quality seems to be more consistent, from what I can infer from reviews and personal experience. I've seen only one WO bino, so my experience with them is limited, but it was definitely not as sharp as my Maxbright and had differences in sharpness between the two sides with the left side clearly inferior to the right side. Also, the Maxbright uses Baader's wonderful T2 thread system, which means superb adaptability.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

#3 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 29 August 2011 - 09:35 PM

Whether or not the Hyperion zooms are comfortable in a binoviewer is a matter of personal preference. I tried them and they worked but were not confortable enough for me - not enough nose clearance which restricted the angle of my head with respect to the binoviewer. I much prefer plossl or ortho sized eyepieces for binoviewing.

Having owned a Denk previously I like my WO binoviewer - the only criticism I have is that the unit is not well baffled, so there's a bit of glare on the Moon which reduces contrast a little. Collimation is very good.

Welcome to CN :)

Tony

#4 HuskyDude

HuskyDude

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:43 PM

Thx guys. Tony I was wondering if when you used the Hyperions in the bino if you had any trouble getting both to focus the same?(same power) Hope I asked that right? Maybe a binoviewer are just made for non zoom type eyepieces

#5 tonyt

tonyt

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 30 August 2011 - 12:46 AM

I didn't have any trouble getting both zooms to focus due to the clickstop settings - the images were as easy to merge as other eyepieces.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics