Photo

DIY Intensified IIT setup for around $200 project.

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#26 runner70

runner70

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 August 2013 - 04:44 PM

I'd be interested in seeing your results; which cascade tube are you using?

#27 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

• Loc: La-la land.

Posted 18 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

I just found a decent looking, new-old-stock GenII tube on fleabay, which I just procured for $300. When I get around to doing something with it, which may not be soon, as I'm trying to finish my dissertation by early spring, I'll start a thread. I'll probably attach it to my Lumenera camera.

#28 Live_Steam_Mad

Live_Steam_Mad

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Moss Bank, St.Helens, England

Posted 21 September 2013 - 12:38 AM

I'd be very interested to see a cheap DIY version of something not too unlike the Collins I3 Piece (an eyepiece IIT device using Gen 3 USA Military technology that can't be easily bought by me in England) but that uses either one single gen 1 tube (CHEAPEST possible tube please! Either used or new) or cascaded in 2 or 3 stages. Please tell us all how you construct such a thing, I believe there would be much interest in it. I have access to a Myford 7 lathe etc so could make stuff (maybe) and at least I can solder well so that's something I can do if I have to. Let us know how it works out.

Here is the Collins I3 piece for reference ;-

http://www.ceoptics.com/ccd/i3.html

http://www.ceoptics....essierpics.html

Regards,

Alistair G.

#29 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 21 September 2013 - 05:21 AM

Someone in the uk did put one of the cascade systems on a scope, did have some effect, but not amazing from what I heard.
Problem is anything less than the best is not going to perform as well. Build a cascade system and try... Cheap and you have a nifty (though heavy) night vision system if it doesn't work do so well in the scope.

Cheers

PeterW

#30 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

Posted 07 October 2013 - 01:47 PM

I found the wiring diagram to power this puppy and built a quick and dirty power converter. The thing has a built-in high voltage power supply and takes an input of 2.7 volts. It has an adjustable gain. I'm going to test it at the scope. It has a bonded fiber optic output that acts like a screen, so I won't need an eyepiece for a quick and dirty test. (I tested it indoors, with a camera lens for the input.) I'll post a pic when I get back from gazing tonight. Everything is already loaded and I'm only waiting for the batteries on my little tablet PC to fully charge.

#31 seryddwr

seryddwr

Innocent Bystander

Posted 13 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

It's been a while since I've posted on this. I was able to do a few tests with the device, I used a very wide angle, f/2.5 lens to do a test. It works, but I'm not sure if I saw any more stars than I could with my eye, but again, the thing is very wide angle. With my Dob, everything was brighter than with my eye, but I couldn't hold it very steady. It looks like it might work to intensify the image in front of a video cam, to try and negate the read noise. We'll see.

Attached Files

#32 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 14 December 2013 - 08:18 PM

Hi David, What's the quality like using the EEV P80 79 HP
on globular clusters and nebulas? Most definitely I'm interested. I found a web site called Sourcing intensifiers
in which Andy and Damian made an intensifier{showing how to make one} and gave some reviews on how it worked but not
enough on globular clusters. De Lorme

#33 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:31 AM

"Proper" intensifiers resolve globs very well, not had the chance to try my cascade on them.... Clouds :-(

Peter

#34 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 15 December 2013 - 12:17 PM

Peter, when you say "Proper" would a EEV P8079 HP be more than adequate? I don't need the very best{because I can't afford the best LOL} just don't want a tube that's not quite up tot the task. So I would be willing to squeeze the budget to get a tube that's more than adequate. This is exciting! I have a CGEM with a MoonLight focuser and a 2" diagonal. I would like to put the tube in the diagonal and look through it like a regular eyepiece. I think
the MoonLight would handle the weight what do you think?
De Lorme

#35 Dxvid55

Dxvid55

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 16 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

I have just started a blog about using the kind of intensifier mentioned in the first post. You can see it here if you are interested,

http://dxvid55.blogspot.co.uk/

Clear skies!

#36 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:25 PM

Hi Furmo, YES please put up some photos so we can see how your using the Cascade on your refractor. Thanks for doing this. De Lorme

#37 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 December 2013 - 04:19 AM

Great info, good to see another UK person trying this, keep us posted on how it performs!

PEterw

#38 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 17 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

From what I've read the EEV P8079 HP tube cannot be used directly on a{CR6"} OTA without cutting the tube.
Are their any image intensifiers that could be adapted to
an eyepiece and then used on my refractor? Thanks De Lorme

#39 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 18 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but won't the EOD output screen radiate over 180degs hemisphere- how do you efficiently collect and reimage this onto the output camera?

A CCD sensor in contact with the output screen would be interesting IF there was no intervening cover glass etc to the sensor :grin:

#40 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:01 AM

Yes, but like a TV, but it's bright and you can take a picture of it with any camera you can poke down the eyepiece.

PEterW

#41 nytecam

nytecam

Voyager 1

• Loc: London UK

Posted 19 December 2013 - 03:22 AM

Yes, but like a TV, but it's bright and you can take a picture of it with any camera you can poke down the eyepiece.

PEterW

Thanks Peter - that's the standard / casual technique but is it efficient ? When we talk of CCD cameras the overall QE is important - why isn't it with EODs !!

#42 Dxvid55

Dxvid55

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:15 PM

Just changed the link for the blog mentioned on page 2, to make it more search-engine friendly,

http://imageintensif...blogspot.co.uk/

#43 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: York, UK

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:13 AM

Please accept my apologies, I haven't been back on the forum since I posted so didn't see your request.

I see that Dxvid55 has provided some excellent info on his blog so anything I post will probably be redundant now but I have clear skies predicted tonight so I'll try and take some pictures of my own setup and provide some comments on my kit as well to compliment his.

#44 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 10 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Thanks Furmo, Would like to see the potential of the 7980HP tube before I spend the $200. De Lorme

#45 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 14 January 2014 - 03:14 AM

Furmo, In doing some research I ran across this statement;
"Ion scintillations increase with input signal, but are more visible when there's high gain at low light levels and not enough signal to hide them".
Is this the reason that the 7980HP would not be good to use with an eyepiece at the telescope? De Lorme

#46 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hi De Lorme

Unfortunately you have mistaken me for someone who knows what they are talking about! :confused: :o

I initially bought one of these tubes to assemble a hand-held unit and only attempted to bolt it to my telescope out of curiosity - I know nothing about the technical aspects of these tubes I'm afraid, and it was probably only sheer luck that I got my 2 projects to work! Hopefully someone more intelligent than me will be able to help you with your question!

I did drag my gear out the other night but, as I suspected, my results add nothing to the excellent blog above.

I have attempted to attach an image I took through the eyepiece of Orion (using my mobile phone camera). It's not very good and doesn't really do the real view much justice - comparing it to the view I had through the scope with the cascade tube removed, I would say I could see twice as much of the nebula with the P8079HP attached. For info, I live in a terraced house near a city centre so light pollution and other viewing conditions are pretty awful.

Living in North Yorkshire, I also only had a limited window of time before the clouds rolled in and prevented me trying any other targets.

I'm sorry that I probably haven't helped you one bit, I was fortunate enough to buy my tubes when they were a lot cheaper than they are now so I appreciate your reluctance at the current price.

If I get any clear skies again soon, I'll try and carry out some more tests.

Regards

Furmo

Attached Files

#47 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 15 January 2014 - 11:58 PM

http://imageintensif...blogspot.co.uk/
Hello Furmo, You've been a lot of help;and I know next to nothing about image intensifiers to. Take a look at Dave
Jones web site{above}. He said when the moon goes away{and he gets a chance}he will take a picture of M79 which is a
Mag 7.7. This is really exciting. I've been believing for a solution to cut through the light pollution. In my minds
eye I'm thinking that the 7980hp will show a 40 to 45 degree
view with the heart of the view pretty good; which clusters and most nebula will fit nicely into. Yes it won't be a Generation 3 but as a comparison plossi eyepiece at least
let you look and this will{hopefully} be even better.
Clear Skies, De Lorme

#48 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 19 January 2014 - 05:46 AM

Hi Furmo, What eyepiece are you using? Are you using a 1.25
eyepiece{low or high profile?}adaptor attached to the intensifier and then the eyepiece inserted into the adaptor. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated.
De Lorme

#49 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 January 2014 - 10:53 AM

I use a 10x magnifier I had though some people use 25ish mm plossl eyepieces that are chopped down, anything that magnifies the screen a hit is fine.

PeterW

#50 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 January 2014 - 12:09 PM

Hi De Lorme

I dismantled a cheap 15mm Celestron eyepiece which came with my telescope and experimented with putting the lenses in different positions using washers until I found the perfect position for it to focus on the rear screen of the cascade tube.

I made an eyepiece holder by cutting the end off an eyepiece cap and stuck that in place - this allows me to use the single adapted eyepiece on both of my cascade tubes, depending on whether I want to use the one attached to my telescope, or the hand-held unit.

Probably a bit crude compared to other peoples solutions, but it works well for my setup :)

Furmo

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics