Photo

DIY Intensified IIT setup for around $200 project.

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#51 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 24 January 2014 - 02:31 AM

Furmo which Celestron 15mm{Plossi, Ortho} are you using? Would you take a picture so I could see how you attached the eyepiece? Exactly what do you mean by dismantled and
how did you apply the washers. OH Please give me a picture!
Thanks for the help. Will be buying the 8079HP soon. I can't wait to assemble and try it out on M79 and 42.
De Lorme

#52 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: York, UK

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

Hi

REALLY sorry for the late reply - life has been very hectic recently and I rarely get on the net these days.

I will take some pictures and provide more details when I get home tonight.

Sorry again for the delay in my reply.

Kind regards

Furmo

#53 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:22 PM

I understand, Sounds like your running with your tonged
hanging out!LOL. This is so exciting! I believe this is a real solution to the light pollution and aperture problems!
I can't wait to see the picture and info.
Thanks for the help. Clear Skies, De Lorme

#54 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 27 January 2014 - 09:50 PM

Furmo, BTW my intensifier is on it's way from Starlight.
De Lorme

#55 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2014 - 05:58 AM

Hi De Lorme

Please see the attached photos!

The eyepiece holder is simply an eyepiece cap with the end cut off and then superglued into place - it actually fits PERFECTLY into the rubber ring around the projection screen.

The eyepiece I took apart came with a Celestron accessory kit I got free with my Nexstar scope. It had 2 glass elements and I just experimented with swapping them around in various positions using plastic rings and washers before I found the perfect position. I tested this by placing the EP on a mobile phone screen to see if it reached focus at (effectively) zero distance.

I think I actually ended up using the bottom of the 2 elements placed on top of a plastic ring which was originally on top of it (if that makes sense) so after all the trial and error, I didn'y actually use any additional parts!

I have also included a photo of my assembled tube for reference.

I hope some of this proves useful, and please do let me know if you have any other questions!

Kind regards

Furmo

Attached Files

#56 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

I just realised I can only post one picture with each message - this is what the EP looked like before I dismantled it:

Attached Files

#57 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:01 AM

And this is it in bits:

Attached Files

#58 Furmo

Furmo

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 28 January 2014 - 06:02 AM

Finally - this is the finished unit:

Attached Files

#59 StarStuff1

StarStuff1

Soyuz

• Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:41 PM

A photographic deep red filter should help some with the light pollution. Put it between the eyeepiece and the output lens.

Good luck and best wishes with your IIE experience!

#60 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 28 January 2014 - 04:23 PM

Furmo, The tube that goes into the diagonal is it just taped into place on the intensifier? Does it seem pretty stable in the diagonal? Is it a 1.25" or 2" tube? Thanks for the great help! This is going to be easier than I thought. It's freezing cold here in Colorado Springs Co
and it's going to be this way for a week! The intensifier has been shipped and I cannot wait to put the intensifier
together. Thanks again and Clear Skies! De Lorme

#61 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2014 - 02:49 AM

Furmo, I don't understand how the eyepiece is set up to go
into the cap. Would you try and explain how the eyepiece set
is or even better show a picture as though your getting ready to put it inside the cap. Many thanks for the help.
I really appreciate it. De Lorme

#62 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: SW London, UK

Posted 29 January 2014 - 01:51 PM

I got cj7hawks 3d parts made up, jammed a c-cs mount adapter in the front and wedged a 10x loupe I had up the back. Can fit prime focus or use cheap CCTV lenses. Simple, the battery and switch are held on by sticky tape at the moment.

Cheers

Peter

#63 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:55 PM

Peter, Take a picture so we can see what you have done.
Have you looked up with the intensifier yet? If so how
good was the view. De Lorme

#64 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:51 AM

Here goes, simple, keepeaning to put it in a proper tube. Probably need to blacken the lens end to stop stray light.

Peter

Attached Files

#65 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

And

Attached Files

#66 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:53 AM

Looking up is hard as it hasn't stopped raining in who knows how long, we're all swimming over here.

Peter

#67 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:30 PM

http://imageintensif...blogspot.co.uk/
Peter, That looks real good. Dave{at the above website}said that he had light going through the tube so he first wrapped his in duck tape{mans best friend LOL} and then put heavy gage aluminum foil over the tape and then duck tape over the aluminum foil. That solved the problem. How close
would you say is the 10x loupe is to the viewing screen?
Thanks De Lorme

#68 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 02 February 2014 - 02:41 AM

Pretty close, it came with a clear spacer to hold it at focus which was removed. The printed parts have a helical focus that works well but might need a tint bit of sanding to get working first time. The front lens mount is a cmount spacer FORCED into place so it'll never go anywhere.

Peterw

#69 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:32 PM

StarStuff1, Which would be better Lumicon 25 red or 29 red?
I would be using it on a CR6". De Lorme

#70 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Does any body here know where to buy a gain control and how to wire it in? Thanks De Lorme

#71 PEterW

PEterW

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:00 AM

No gain, just power on/off.
Quick cascade check in my streetlight infested backyard, no moon and I tried to hide from the streetlights. The cascade(50mm f1.4 CCTV lens) shows more stars with bright green background than naked eye. Pop a 12nm halpha filter and there is still a noticeable green background with slight scintillation (and probably some dust visible on the screen) The stars are pretty much all gone, m42 seems less visible too, no other nebulae around.

Comparing to a "proper" NV (25mm f1.5? stock lens) there are more stars (resolution better) and still stars with the halpha, darker sky background, m42 improved with the filter and California and Rosetta nebulae faintly visible too.
Ok not a fair test, should have tested the rg630 filter instead as this wouldn't have affected it so much. The cascade is definitely sensitive, I was reading book covers in a pitch black room with it.

Cheers

Peter

#72 cuivienor

cuivienor

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, Japan

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:33 AM

Guys, please please try to couple this with a narrowband H-alpha filter - I think 12nm is still too broad, as excess LP will make its way and get magnified - this could be the answer to light pollution for live nebula viewing:

Telescope + 7nm Baader H-alpha filter + image intensifier + eyepiece = awesomeness?

Basically you filter out all the light pollution and moonglow, and amplify the most common frequency to have nebulae stand out. This could really be a killer in light polluted area. I'll venture and say you could probably view the horse nebula from heavily polluted sky with that kind of setup. I cannot stress enough how awesome that would be.

So now, on to how to procure those tubes and how to build. It seems the difficulty here is to get good tubes. Gluing some batteries, eyepiece lens, etc is the easy part.

So my understanding is the Gen1 is available everywhere, but Gen3 is restricted to the US. However, Gen1 can be cascaded (but doesn't that multiply the price? i.e. multiple units are needed). How about all those night vision scopes? Do they contain such tubes?

Honestly, I'd gladly buy such an "eyepiece" at a reasonable price (rather than the expensive Collins eyepieces).

Looking forward to some progress on this, and some international smuggling of Gen1 tubes :p (note to NSA Prism: smuggling term is a joke. Gen1 seems OK around the world, so relax).

Cheers,

Yannick

#73 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:24 AM

starlightnv@zen.co.uk
Yannick, Starlight says that they will ship world wide.
imageintensifier.blogspot.co.uk/
Check out the above website. If you do a search there are others doing this. De Lorme

#74 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:36 AM

Did you do anything with 9644 tube?

#75 De Lorme

De Lorme

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:43 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...sistor-pot_W...

Peter the above website shows where you can buy a gain control. I read recently that it was installed between the
positive{on the tube}and the on off switch. But don't know how the wiring would go. De Lorme

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics