Photo

Observer Pro is now available on the App Store!

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#51 pfile

pfile

Gemini

• -----

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:58 PM

good lord, i really like how it computes the 'green line' including the moon phase and moonrise time. brilliant.

just about the only criticism i might have is that the horizon mapping feature is slightly janky. i am really boxed in and i have to hold the iphone at some pretty extreme angles, and it seems like the gyros/compass don't like that too much. i wonder if it might make more sense to take something like a panoramic photo and binarize it to capture the horizon?

#52 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Oregon, USA

Posted 08 July 2012 - 11:15 PM

I'm definitely not happy with how finicky the horizon measurement can be. I blame it on the compass readings. I weight the compass readings with the gyro readings but sometimes the compass has a mind of its own and throws everything off. I've definitely thought about an image-based approach and will probably adopt that in the future for improved accuracy.

Not a day goes by that I don't wish that I could work on Observer Pro full time, there are so many improvements I want to make!

Josh

#53 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

• Loc: New York City/ CT

Posted 19 July 2012 - 10:02 AM

Josh-

What is the ETA on the ipad version? Also wanted to know, can i use the horizon feature using an IPAD 3 now? Or does it have to wait until the v2.0 is out?

Thanks!
Al

P.S. when you release the new one, i would suggest 2 tiers of pricing. $4.99 for the basic and maybe $14.99 for the version with the enhanced catalogues. Generally, I think you can make more $ by attracting wider adoption and then offering 'upgrade' to basic users for $9.99 to pro version... just my 2c...

#54 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 19 July 2012 - 06:15 PM

Hi Al,

I'm still planning on releasing the v2 update sometime this summer. There's still a lot of work to do though. Pretty soon I'm going to post some screens of the new sky map that will be part of the next version to give everyone an idea of what's on the way.

However, you don't have to wait to do your horizon measurements. It works great on the iPad 2 and the new iPad :)

That's an interesting idea for pricing. I have been thinking of ways to lower the barrier for new users. Right now I'm planning on releasing a much simpler free app that shares some features with Observer Pro. Sort of an 'observing outlook' app that will give you a quick look at what's up and which parts of the sky are going to be best for observing/imaging. Of course the free app will be designed such that you'll definitely want Observer Pro to go with it!

Josh

#55 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:59 AM

I am going to download your app tonight and will do the horizon measurement using my wife's ipad 3. (my ipad is the old v.1 :bawling:)

I look forward to the full Ipad version!

-Al

#56 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 13 January 2013 - 06:07 AM

Every time I use OP, I feel grateful to you Joshua. Version 2 will be the icing on the cake.

Will it be possible to import from Sky Tools 3 ? Sorry if this has been asked and answered before.

Greetings.

Sedat

#57 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Sedat,

Thank you for the encouragement! It's just killing me not having time to finish version 2 right now... :tonofbricks:

I think what I'm going to do for supporting various formats is provide web-based conversion tools. Yes, at the moment I have a terrible track record with that (I still haven't figured out how to get Sky Safari horizon converter working again...) but at least the other conversion tools won't require any custom settings on my web server (the horizon converter required a custom build of php do be able to do the graphics). Speaking of php administration, anyone out there have any experience with that?

Clear skies,

Josh

#58 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Good news! I finally have a solution online for converting Observer Pro horizon files into SkySafari panoramas. Head over to http://observerpro.com/converters to download the converter script.

Feel free to send feedback my way if you have improvement suggestions. Thanks for all your patience!

Josh

#59 kkokkolis

kkokkolis

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Piraeus, Greece

Posted 10 August 2013 - 02:59 PM

I would love to have an upgrade after one year of ownership.

#60 Amaranthus

Amaranthus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 03 February 2014 - 10:40 AM

Hi Josh - now Feb 2014, about a year on from your previous posting about Observer Pro - any chance of an update on progress towards v2?

#61 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:59 PM

I hope it gets an up date, it's only second to Sky Safari as being my most used app.

#62 Amaranthus

Amaranthus

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Adelaide, Australia

Posted 04 February 2014 - 02:35 AM

I agree - the two apps you mention demiles are highly complementary (I have Sky Safari Pro 4 on my iOS, used mostly on my iPad due to the extra screen real estate). At the scope, Observer Pro is my #1 planning/logging tool - I love the fact that I have a perfect representation of my horizon!

If Josh is looking for suggestions for v2 (or feedback on how I use v1 lists etc.), then I'll be happy to supply!

#63 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Are there still plans on making an Android version of this? I have a version on my iPod but would prefer to use it on my Android Galaxy. thanks

#64 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 07 August 2014 - 04:35 PM

Hi Everyone!

I realize that Observer Pro has effectively been abandoned (no updates in WAY too long). The last couple of years have seen many changes for me and my family (new job, new house, more kids) and I haven't been very good at making time for Observer Pro. I still use it regularly for my own imaging planning so I'm painfully aware of how dated it is :-)

So, I have good news and bad news.

Bad news first: I've been 'testing' Observer Pro with the iOS 8 betas and so far it does not work at all. There's a good chance that when Apple ships iOS 8 this fall that Observer Pro will no longer function. Obviously, if you enjoy using Observer Pro you may want to hold off on updating to iOS 8.

Now the good news! A couple of months ago I started actively working on Observer Pro again. Progress is going well so far and, while I hope to be finished before iOS 8 ships, I'm not sure I'll make that deadline.

I also started a new blog where I'm going to post news and development details as I work. There are some things that I am going to want some feedback on so keep an eye out for future posts (I'll post links here too for anyone who doesn't want to subscribe to the blog).

The new site is at observer.pro. The blog is at observer.pro/blog.

Thank you for your patience!

Josh

#65 demiles

demiles

Viking 1

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

That's great news Josh! I'm looking forward to the new version.

#66 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:51 AM

Josh this is a killer app. Every time I'm out observing or imaging, I am certainly using Observer Pro. 

Too bad it's not running on IOS8. I will dedicate an IOS device to Observer Pro and I will not upgrade it to IOS8. Observer Pro is that important to me.

Good luck with all the novelties in your life!

#67 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 August 2014 - 10:35 AM

It's great to know that I'm not the only one still using it :-)
  • bilgebay likes this

#68 A. Viegas

A. Viegas

Apollo

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Great news Josh.   I will definitely upgrade to the new version too.  I have an old IPAD 1 I still have around which cannot be upgraded to anything past IOS 5!   So if you can make it downward compatible with that version that would be cool.  Otherwise I have other IOS devices if not...   Welcome back!

Al

#69 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

I have an old IPAD 1 I still have around which cannot be upgraded to anything past IOS 5!   So if you can make it downward compatible with that version that would be cool.  Otherwise I have other IOS devices if not...

Hi Al,

The update will only be compatible with iOS 7 and up.

Josh

#70 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

Are there still plans on making an Android version of this?

I don't have any plans for an Android version at this time (not saying it will never happen though).

Josh

#71 mkothe

mkothe

Vostok 1

• Loc: Boston, MA

Posted 12 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

That's great to hear that an update is in the works! This is such a useful and well thought out app!

One feature I would love to see is an improved logging feature. I'm not interested in keeping detailed notes, but I find the app very inviting to keep track of what I have seen. I would like to be able to:

• give a simple 1 to 5 star rating
  • automatically log the date and location of the observation
  • track which instrument was used
  • log the same object more than once (different instruments or nights).

It would also be nice if sites and logs could be synchronized between devices, because I am sometimes using just the phone, but other times the iPad.

When I first installed the app I had a very overgrown lot and was interested in a way to deal with an obstructed zenith, but that is no longer a priority for me since I moved  :)

#72 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

Any plans for an Android version?

Yes, I would like to port Observer Pro over to Android but it probably won't be for a while.

Clear skies!
Josh

You need to come up with an Android version soonest, please.

#73 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 13 August 2014 - 03:51 PM

That's great to hear that an update is in the works! This is such a useful and well thought out app!

One feature I would love to see is an improved logging feature. I'm not interested in keeping detailed notes, but I find the app very inviting to keep track of what I have seen. I would like to be able to:

• give a simple 1 to 5 star rating
  • automatically log the date and location of the observation
  • track which instrument was used
  • log the same object more than once (different instruments or nights).

It would also be nice if sites and logs could be synchronized between devices, because I am sometimes using just the phone, but other times the iPad.

When I first installed the app I had a very overgrown lot and was interested in a way to deal with an obstructed zenith, but that is no longer a priority for me since I moved  :)

I do plan on adding more logging features but I haven't figured out the details yet. These are some great ideas. Thanks!

Josh

#74 wboeck

wboeck

Sputnik

• Loc: Nebraska

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:38 AM

My wife has taken over my iPad so it would be great to have an Android version. 

#75 jbury

jbury

Vendor - ObserverPro

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 August 2014 - 01:31 PM

My wife has taken over my iPad so it would be great to have an Android version. 

I've had lots of requests for an Android version so I think that I will take a look at the feasibility of bringing Observer Pro to Android once the iOS version is updated.

Josh

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics