327 replies to this topic

#1 frebie

frebie

Chief assistant to the assistant chief

• -----
  • Administrators
  • Loc: Neither here nor there.

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:51 PM

Some people have asked how the construction of the new Astronomics building is coming along. I’ve attached some images taken over the past few months that will give you an idea. More will be coming along.

The first image is the start of construction when we started to raise the roof on the second floor. Since we were going to have to put a new roof on the building anyway, we decided to raise the roof by three feet or so to give the 4000+ square foot showroom a more open feeling. If we were going to have the largest showroom in the U. S. (according to all the manufacturers), we might as well have the tallest, too. Glad the weather was dry while this was underway. That hole would make one heck of a leak if it rained.

Attached Files

#2 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

One wall of what is eventually going to be my office on the second floor. Big window overlooking the street on the left, another window overlooking the town on the far right. We’re saving the old painted advertising signs on the walls. They should clean up nicely when the dust and plaster is removed.

Attached Files

#3 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

The Arbuckle’s Coffee sign we uncovered on what will be one wall of the showroom. Arbuckle’s Ariosa is the “cowboy coffee” all the chuck wagons carried during the cattle drives in the late 1800s. The “coffee that won the West” is still being produced.

Attached Files

#4 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 04:55 PM

This shot is after a lot of the roof has been replaced on the second floor. It might give you an idea of the size of the showroom area. The showroom will run a little over 80’ from the camera position, which is where some of the offices will be, to the overexposed area in the distance where the roof is off which will be rest rooms, break room, and video production room. The light wells for five of the six skylights we are putting in are visible. The roof has been raised, so you can compare the more open feeling the showroom will have compared to the yet to be raised roof in the previous Arbuckle’s sign shot. The showroom is 50’ wide. More pictures to come in a few days if anyone is interested.

Attached Files

#5 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 16 September 2011 - 05:05 PM

Indeed we are interested!! It's so nice that you are preserving the old signs on the walls; this is history that could not be replaced! :bow:

You guys are going to have a fantastic new Astronomics! :waytogo:

#6 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:11 PM

This is an earlier shot to give you a little sense of scale of the showroom. That’s 6’3” Michael in the shot.

Attached Files

#7 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:12 PM

First floor, looking towards the street. The big hole is the bottom of what will be the elevator shaft. Warehouse is on the first floor (makes no sense to carry big boxes up to a second floor warehouse, only to carry them down later). Showroom is on the second floor, with both stairs and an elevator to get to it. The stairs will wrap around the elevator shaft. It’s a ways up to the second floor, so we expect most people will take the elevator. I know I will.

Attached Files

#8 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:13 PM

Second floor showroom again. The big hole in the ceiling is for the top of the elevator shaft. The camera is roughly positioned at the doorway into Michael’s office, which is at one end of the showroom, while the bright area in the distance will be where the rest rooms, break room, and video production room will be located at the opposite end of the show room. Individual offices for Pete, Billy, Tom, etc. will be against the wall to the right. Big showroom space, which will eventually be filled with scopes, mounts, accessories, binoculars, spotting scopes, and more. The piles of lumber on the floor are the old ceiling beams and joists we removed to put the new roof in. They will be split and repurposed in the new building, wrapping the elevator shaft in wood, baseboards, trim, etc. We’ll save the advertising art and as much of the old building as possible.

Attached Files

#9 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:14 PM

About 40% of the first floor warehouse space. The 3’6” deep pits with the rebar will be filled with concrete and act as the piers for the steel framework that will support the second floor to meet the city’s 100 pounds per square foot load-bearing requirement for retail space. At least I’ll be confident that my office won’t fall through the floor of the second story. The warehouse will hold pallets stacked two high, giving us a lot of inventory room.

Attached Files

#10 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 16 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

From the back of the warehouse looking towards the front of the building, showing about 40% of the warehouse space. It’s not quite big enough to get lost in, but then again I can get lost in a closet.

Attached Files

#11 edl

edl

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:10 PM

Coffee, the amateur astronomer's best friend.
How fitting!

Ed L.

#12 Astronomics

Astronomics

Vendor: Astronomics

• Administrators
  • Loc: Right Here

Posted 16 September 2011 - 09:17 PM

Actually they will stack three pallets high. :grin:

#13 Zebra24601

Zebra24601

Hubble

• Loc: San Gabriel Valley, CA 91770

Posted 16 September 2011 - 10:55 PM

Very neat about those old advertisements.

Looks huge, but with a ways to go. Depending on when it's all done, I might be forced to make an additional detour off of I-40 when I drive back to California in December.

#14 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 17 September 2011 - 11:36 AM

They’ve put in the temporary covered walkway out front so they can knock out the cinder blocks that are currently filling up the second floor office windows. Then they will install windows up there to bring light into the offices and showroom.

Attached Files

#15 David Pavlich

David Pavlich

Transmographied

• Administrators
  • Loc: Mandeville, LA USA

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for posting the updates. It won't be long now!

David

#16 SkyscraperJim

SkyscraperJim

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Providence, RI

Posted 18 September 2011 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for the updates. The progress is coming along well. Hopefully with the building improvements they will change out that nasty streetlight out front. :)

#17 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 18 September 2011 - 01:53 PM

Luckily my office is at the far left, so the light won't be too much of an issue for me.

#18 Doug76

Doug76

Long Achro Junkie

• Loc: Refractor Heaven

Posted 18 September 2011 - 06:45 PM

Love the pics update!

#19 bob irvin

bob irvin

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Greater Los Angeles, CA

Posted 18 September 2011 - 07:21 PM

Thanks for posting the photos, I like the idea of keeping the old signs too, very retro. :smirk:

bob

#20 Bill Barlow

Bill Barlow

Vanguard

• Loc: Overland Park KS

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

A lot of progress has been made from when I saw the first photos after you bought the building. I like the old wall paintings/advertiisements as well.

You will have to have a grand opening party/sale when the time comes.

Bill

#21 okieav8r

okieav8r

I'd rather be flying!

• Administrators
  • Loc: Oklahoma!

Posted 18 September 2011 - 10:38 PM

Do you have an approximate timetable as to when the new facility should be open? I'm looking forward to seeing it and the preserved signs. Will there be a grand opening?

#22 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:21 PM

They’ve put in the temporary covered walkway out front so they can knock out the cinder blocks that are currently filling up the second floor office windows. Then they will install windows up there to bring light into the offices and showroom.

Bet that will make a clatter if any fall on the covered walkway! :lol:

Beautiful building! Glad you are giving it new life! :bow:

#23 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:24 AM

The finished pit for the elevator. CMU (cement block) walls for the elevator shaft start going up this week. Elevator gets installed a few weeks after.

Attached Files

#24 frebie

frebie

• -----
  • Administrators

Posted 19 September 2011 - 10:25 AM

Looking up where the elevator shaft will be. One of the skylight openings on the right (temporarily covered to keep out the rain). This is centered over one of the landings for the staircase. The raised area at the left (partially cover by the framing) is where the top of the eight person capacity elevator will fit.

Attached Files

#25 Jim7728

Jim7728

Cosmos

• Loc: Stoop Landing Observatory, NYC

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:14 PM

Neat!

I guess the original conveyor belt has been eliminated with the installation of an elevator. ;)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics