• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 vidman

vidman

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Htfd, CT

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:35 AM

Hope this is the right area to post this.
We have an Atlas Eq-G mount/tripod along with an Explore Scientific CF ED 127, mounted with a Orion 50mm Mini AutoGuider package and a Canon 60D camera....
Any recommendations for a Tripod Dolly?

Chuck

#2 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 17 September 2011 - 08:51 AM

I like the JMI Wheely Bars. Joe

#3 mich_al

mich_al

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural central lower Michigan Yellow Skies

Posted 17 September 2011 - 10:45 AM

http://www.scoperoll...m/casters.shtml

A different approach the the problem but they worked really well for me.

Al

#4 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

I word of caution on those type casters. Because they don't have a link between the wheels (one piece platform), they reduce the friction normally in place along with downward force. With the friction gone, the legs can split apart if the tie between them on the tripod is not strong (like on the ATS in the Ad). The principal at work is - it's easier to slip on the ice than the pavement. :)

#5 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

• Loc: Florida

Posted 17 September 2011 - 01:24 PM

We have an Atlas Eq-G mount/tripod along with an Explore Scientific CF ED 127, mounted with a Orion 50mm Mini AutoGuider package and a Canon 60D camera....

Chuck

For less than $100 and 3 hours work I built my own. One 2x4, scrap sheet of plywood, 3 4" castors and a few connectors. Make a Tee from the 2x4s using a connector to screw them together. Cut the plywood in half, bolt triangles to the 2x4 tee for stability and to provide a shelf for carrying accessories. Bolt castors to the tee and cross bar.

Paint or varnish to protect dolly from dew.

Put the tripod on the dolly at a comfortable height and mark the position of the legs. Use a hole saw at an angle to accept the legs. Use a couple of eyehooks with bungee cords to stabilize the tripod.

Get 3 sprinkler head protectors and, when setting up, place them under the castors to prevent the dolly from shifting.

Works great.

#6 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 17 September 2011 - 06:14 PM

photo!

#7 jp071848

jp071848

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 18 September 2011 - 08:25 PM

Chuck

How about this DIY solution...

http://www.amyrobb.c...7175035_g8kxHhG

Mine is very similar and holds a CGE plus scopes very well.

#8 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 18 September 2011 - 11:11 PM

I like the Celestron orange wheels. Looks like a nice job. Joe

#9 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:24 AM

Chuck

How about this DIY solution...

http://www.amyrobb.c...7175035_g8kxHhG

Mine is very similar and holds a CGE plus scopes very well.

Mine looks just like this but using castors mounted underneath rather than the rubber wheels. The castors allowed me to not have to deal with axels.

Also, by using sprinkler head protectors underneath the castors I don't need the vertical bars that contact the ground.

#10 jp071848

jp071848

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 19 September 2011 - 06:35 AM

[/quote]
Mine looks just like this but using castors mounted underneath rather than the rubber wheels. The castors allowed me to not have to deal with axels.

Also, by using sprinkler head protectors underneath the castors I don't need the vertical bars that contact the ground. [/quote]

I'm very curious as to what you mean by "sprinkler head protectors" Do you have a photograph, or could you find a link to them?

Thanks in advance

Jeff

#11 jimb1001

jimb1001

Messenger

Posted 19 September 2011 - 12:55 PM

[quote name="jp071848"][/quote]

Also, by using sprinkler head protectors underneath the castors I don't need the vertical bars that contact the ground. [/quote]

I'm very curious as to what you mean by "sprinkler head protectors" Do you have a photograph, or could you find a link to them?

Thanks in advance

Jeff [/quote]

They are very common here in Florida where we have lots of sprinkler systems.

What they are is a cast ceramic doughnut, flat on the bottom, about 5" in diameter. Home depot, lowes both have them.

LIft a corner of the dolly and slide the sprinkler protector under the wheel and it won't move.

I have my regular observing spot in the back yard with with one foot square pavers. When the dolly is on the sprinkler protectors on the pavers it won't move or shift position.

If I'm polar aligning I can, however, nudge the dolly an inch or two with a little effort.

#12 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 19 September 2011 - 01:02 PM

I like the JMI Wheely Bars. Joe

+1 I bought one used, & love it!

Attached Files

#13 Stan Feather

Stan Feather

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 24 September 2011 - 02:33 AM

I'll add another mention for the JMI wheeley bars.

They've added over an hour to photo sessions, by reducing setup and tear down times. I also sneak a peek on weeknights, sometimes. That never happened before I got the wheeley bar.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics