AP Images Taken with Original NexStar

• Please log in to reply
1128 replies to this topic

#776 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

:shocked: I didn't realize that was mine. Yeah the rotation got me as well as the mention of X3 barlowed, but still...I find it hard to believe.

#777 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:01 PM

Hi Haseeb,

Looking back on the original, I see now that I was presumptive in thinking you'd used a X3 Barlow. I noted that you'd described a Barlow as having been used but now see there was no "multiple" provided.

Was it a X3 ? (Just for my interest).

As to rotating the image, I just thought it looked a little better displayed in this way. (?) :idea:

In all events, congratulations, once more, on the fine cloud/storm detail you were able to capture, particularly under those skies I know you have to endure ! :bow:

Best regards,
Tel

#778 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

I used X2 now that I am imaging through the diagonal and which has made life a lot easier as far as focusing is concerned. :grin: Thank you once again and yes that rotated image indeed looks better. :bow:

#779 TmaninTn

TmaninTn

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN USA

Posted 29 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Tel, that's probably the best "enhancement" of an image you've done in this thread.

Stunning work. It makes me want to get a better one for you next time. :goodjob:

And Haseeb, great work! Glad to see you're hitting your stride with the Nexstar setup. Alex (and others) have set a pretty solid bar, but I think the potential with this equipment is greater than most people give it credit for.

Yes, I know, GEM vs. Alt-Az....I get it.

#780 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:08 AM

Hi Tim,

Many thanks for your appreciation; it's very kind of you ! :bow:

With the atrocious, but usual weather over here of late, messing about like this at least gives me some processing practice for when I can finally take some decent images for myself ! :4

So saying, and I'm sure you don't mind, but I sat this morning practising on your own Jupiter and Io shot. I hope you like the result.

Incidentally..........

How do you guys get these Galilean satellites into your images ? It's something I've never really been able to do ? :idea:

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#781 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

This is my first attempt at Jupiter, the conditions were less than ideal due to a full moon! Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm determined to do better!

EOS 550d attached to a 5SE, via a t-ring & adapter.
Single exposure ISO 400, 1/100 sec, heavily cropped but no other changes.

I also took a photo of the moon that night which I'm fairly pleased with, although it's a little over-exposed:

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Cheers

Robin :jump:

Attached Files

#782 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:53 AM

Hi Robin,

A very commendable first attempt at Jupiter especially since it represents a single frame ! :bow: :bow:

I took a look at it to establish whether there was any more detail within it and was able to find a little more. (See attached). My effort's a little noisy but........ :idea:

As to suggestions or recommendations, can I ask whether your Canon Eos 550D is capable of taking multi-frames, i.e. can make a video ? If so, you should be able to reduce the noise thereby enhancing the signal significantly ready for a preliminary stack of the best frames in Registax.

Additionally I assume this image of Jupiter wasn't taken using a Barlow lens ? If this was so, try perhaps using a X2 next time around.

Finally, I looked at your image of the full Moon on "Flickr". It's fine ! That over-exposure you speak of is neglible and I think easily corrected. If you care to publish it here in jpeg format, I'll willingly "pass" it through Photoshop. I'm sure it will adjust !

Hoping these comments help,

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#783 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

Hi Robin, very nice first attempts at Jupiter and the Moon, far better than my early attempts.

It also looks as if you caught 3 of Jupiters moons in that shot, they are faint, but there.(unless i`m seeing things,)very well done given a single frame. :bow: :bow: :waytogo:

Your full moon shot looks pretty good to me, cant really see any over exposure to speak of, as you probably know, the full moon is not the best time to capture detail, as the full disc, tends to look very flat and does not show detail of craters, mountains in stark relief, look forward to seeing some moon shots from you at different phases so that the shadows show up the detail of features along the terminator

best regards,

Tom.

#784 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:52 AM

My goodness, Tom, I wish I had your eyesight ! :bow::bow:

After you pointed them out, I had to pass Robin's image through Photoshop and really "crank up" the Levels before I was able to see those Galilean satellites !

Anyway,..... have you finished decorating that kitchen yet ? :4

:rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#785 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

Hi Tel & Tom

Many thanks for your kind comments & suggestions. I haven't got a barlow yet; I'm in the very early stages of this so far & I thought I'd have a 'play' for a couple of weeks before buying anything else! My EOS can shoot HD video, although when I tried it when linked to the telescope (via the t-ring & adapter) I got an error message which said that I needed to use a lens....I'm don't know if there's a way around this? Perhaps it's in one of the manual settings.....

Tel: Thanks for the tweaks, a definite improvement! :bow:

I've attached a copy of both the moon (reduced by 50%) & Jupiter in a .jpeg format, please feel free to have a play with them, it will be interesting to see what you can do! Apologies if the file sizes are too large.

Tom: Yes, I think that the photo includes 3 moons, unless it's my eyesight as well :lol:

Cheers, Robin

Attached Files

#786 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

And the moon (sorry, I didn't realise that you can only attach one at a time!). I've reduced this to 800 pixels, but can email you the original 2.92mb file if that's any help?

Cheers, Robin

Attached Files

#787 hopskipson

hopskipson

Apollo

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:55 AM

Hi Robin

If you want to use your canon for AP I suggest you get an inexpensive program called Backyard EOS. It will let you capture the video from the liveview screen in the .avi format so you can process it in Registax (free pr0gram). It will also help you shoot DSO's when you are ready for that.

James

#788 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I`m pretty sure Robin, that you can have more than one image in the same post, at least i have done so in the past, the key thing is the size of the image i think,such as your reduced sized moon shot, nice BTW. :waytogo:

Tel, still at it with the kitchen, :bangbangbang:, btw ,how long since your last eye test, perhaps your current glasses need to be renewed,just a thought, these things tend to creep up on one without us noticing,i myself need to get my eyes tested again in the near future.

best regards,

Tom.

#789 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

Hi Robin,

Thank you for the invitation to "mess" with your full Moon image. I hope you like the result of such ! :praying:

Off to see if I can spot those Galilean satellites ! :watching:

Tom : .... eye test ? Five years, .... at least ! :scratchhead:

Best regards to you both,
Tel

Attached Files

#790 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

Got 'em !

Attached Files

#791 jassan

jassan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:05 PM

Picture of the Straight Wall from a few nights back. Trying to make a mosaic, but that's going to take a while... if ever. Anyways, this is dark as I have processed my images in photoshop yet. I figure it gives Tel a chance to play! :D

Posted Image
** Click to full size **

#792 jassan

jassan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:07 PM

This is my first attempt at Jupiter, the conditions were less than ideal due to a full moon! Any suggestions greatly appreciated, I'm determined to do better!

EOS 550d attached to a 5SE, via a t-ring & adapter.
Single exposure ISO 400, 1/100 sec, heavily cropped but no other changes.

I also took a photo of the moon that night which I'm fairly pleased with, although it's a little over-exposed:

http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream

Cheers

Robin :jump:

This is pretty exciting for a first attempt! Those first photos are always memorable.

#793 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Got 'em !

Hi Tel, thanks for working your magic on both of these for me, most impressive work! :bow: :bow:

I think that I'll have to invest in Photoshop shortly....I can see this becomming a rather expensive hobby!

Cheers, Robin

#794 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

Hi Robin,

Very many thanks for your kind words; they are much appreciated and thank you for allowing me to practise my processing ! :bow: :bow:

I think if you are serious about getting into imaging as you seem to be, you will inevitably have to invest in a good piece of software such as Photoshop or something similar, in order to be able to appreciate the vast amount data which can be contained in any basic "shot".

To that end, I have always held the view that it is as important to invest in such good processing software as it is to invest in the appropriate camera.

Meantime, one can always explore the merits of perhaps, the free download GIMP software which, although somewhat limited, will, with a little practice, serve to enhance your images reasonably well.

Best regards,
Tel

#795 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:33 PM

Hi Jassan,

Thank you for allowing me, like Robin, to practise my processing on your image of the "Straight Wall" region of the Moon.

Let me also say, that in the first instance your image is extemely detailed and the resolution is quite stunning.

For example, if you look at the largest, (158 Km or 93 Miles diameter), crater in the picture, Ptolemaeus, you'll see it contains a small crater at about the one o'clock position. This is the 9 Km or 5 Miles diameter crater Ammonius. More interesting though, as far as the resolution of your image is concerned, you'll see that also within Ptolemaeus, there are several craterlets towards its bottom edge, one of which, by comparison with Ammonius, can't be much larger than 5 Km or 2 Miles across !

Excellent ! :bow: :bow:

What equipment are you using to capture such fine detail ?

Hoping you like my effort and thanks once again for allowing me to "mess" with this spectacular image. :bow:

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#796 jassan

jassan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 01 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

Hi Jassan,

Thank you for allowing me, like Robin, to practise my processing on your image of the "Straight Wall" region of the Moon.

Let me also say, that in the first instance your image is extemely detailed and the resolution is quite stunning.

For example, if you look at the largest, (158 Km or 93 Miles diameter), crater in the picture, Ptolemaeus, you'll see it contains a small crater at about the one o'clock position. This is the 9 Km or 5 Miles diameter crater Ammonius. More interesting though, as far as the resolution of your image is concerned, you'll see that also within Ptolemaeus, there are several craterlets towards its bottom edge, one of which, by comparison with Ammonius, can't be much larger than 5 Km or 2 Miles across !

Excellent ! :bow: :bow:

What equipment are you using to capture such fine detail ?

Hoping you like my effort and thanks once again for allowing me to "mess" with this spectacular image. :bow:

Best regards,
Tel

Wow, I had no idea Tel, thanks for the perspective on the resolution. Silly me had never thought to look up the respective craters and sizes. I like your efforts on the the photo. It helps give me ideas for it, too.

As for equipment, I was using my NexStar Mount with a C8 attached along with a DMK31. It was my second time testing the camera. I filmed most of the moon that evening, but I'm not sure I got it all. I know for a fact I didn't get it all with this level of focus. At one point my laptop died and I had to wait a couple of hours to finish filming, after which the moon had rotated enough to see changes in the shadows as well as the sky conditions to be much more problematic.

I have couple of other photos from that session that have some detail I find pleasing, I'm happy to post them if anyone wants. I'm also happy tho host a video Straight Wall if someone wants to give their favorite stacking program ago. I know for a fact the image can be sharpened a touch further than what's show here. Maybe someone else can work some magic.

#797 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:49 AM

Great camera performance, Jassan ! Was it "Barlowed" at all ?

Talking also of mosaicking, you're not the only one to suspect you might have missed a portion of the moon. Here is one of my early attempts from 2007 ! I misjudged the shot and lost a portion of the upper left quadrant; (and I wasn't very good at "stitching" either) !

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#798 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Nice straight wall Jassan,lots of detail in this image for the eye`s to ponder on :bow: :bow: :waytogo:

Like the enhancement you applied Tel :waytogo:

regards,

Tom.

#799 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Lewiston, Maine

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

Jasson, Good work I've not managed a shot of the wall yet.
But, like they say you've got to play if you want to win looks like you won, and viewing has been far from optimal here. Cloudy or temps in the teens. So for the next couple of months I'm working on an on-line astronomy course and then a photography course.
Thanks for sharing.
Be Well
Grey

#800 jassan

jassan

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 02 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Great camera performance, Jassan ! Was it "Barlowed" at all ?

Talking also of mosaicking, you're not the only one to suspect you might have missed a portion of the moon. Here is one of my early attempts from 2007 ! I misjudged the shot and lost a portion of the upper left quadrant; (and I wasn't very good at "stitching" either) !

Best regards,
Tel

At least you almost got the entire full moon! I know the feeling when you're going through your video and dammit, you missed a spot. I tend to miss spots because the alignment of the camera isn't lined up with my handcontroller controls. I didn't think about this until this last time photographing the moon. So hopefully I can avoid those unintentional mistakes.

No, I wasn't using a barlow for the filming, just the camera into my diagonal.

Anyways, here's my partial attempt at doing a mosaic. I've only used about half my films and haven't done any enhancements in photoshop yet. Moon it starting to look oblong to me...

Posted Image
** Click for (very) large fullsize **

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics