Apollo

• Loc: East Bernard, TX

Posted 01 August 2013 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Grey and Peter.

Grey, the shot is:

50% frames stacked of 1100 in AS!2
Wavelets in registax
Post-processing in GIMP.
The framesize is max resolution (1280x900)? I think.

The same file was used to make 2 images like the Saturn w/ moons pic.

Moons were bottom layer of GIMP, selected the moons, inverted selection, darkened everything. Then re-inverted and brightened the moons. Top layer was the good image of Jupiter. Cut and pasted onto bottom layer.

I'm glad I was first Peter. I managed to set the bar low for everyone else. :grin:

#1003 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: 16 miles south of the Buckfield Mall

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Albireo 15 25sec stacked in DSS processed in Elements 11 nexstar 5i 6.3 focal reducer/field flatterer.
BE Well
Grey

Attached Files

#1004 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

M013 25X 30sec. 5 darks Nexstar 5i 6.3 FR/FF Canon1100D DSS? Elements11
Be Well
Grey

Attached Files

#1005 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 05 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

M027 same set up
Grey

Attached Files

#1006 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 05 August 2013 - 08:00 PM

Nice!

#1007 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

• Loc: North Alabama

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

Used my nexstar 8SE mount but an AT72 scope @430mm fl. Just a shot of Altair and its surroundings. This is 7 x 30 sec subs. No calibrations were done. Surprised that alt-az can do 30 seconds fairly well...John

Attached Files

#1008 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 16 August 2013 - 09:54 PM

Nice one John...

#1009 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:59 AM

Late to the party once again, :bigblush: but congratulations, Grey, on the images of Albireo, M13 and (I think you'll find), M57. It really is all coming together for you and in particular your ability to retain round background stars despite imaging from an Alt./Az mount ! :bow::bow:

Also congratulations, John ! :bow::bow: I particularly like that image of Altair. Despite its dominating brightness, you've retained those few faint stars very close to it without losing them in the glare ! :waytogo:

Best regards,
Tel

#1010 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:04 AM

Really nice images Grey. I too think you have captured M57 in the third one.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

#1011 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Tel,Tony and Peter all of the Nexstar people here make it easy to share this hobby, even when I mislabel a M object :o . The feedback I get from everyone really helps. I can't thank all of you enough.
Be Well
Grey

#1012 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:51 PM

Thanks Tel! Took me a while, but I have finally learned how to use curves in Photoshop to keep the fainter stuff showing without blowing out the brighter stuff...John

Late to the party once again, :bigblush: but congratulations, Grey, on the images of Albireo, M13 and (I think you'll find), M57. It really is all coming together for you and in particular your ability to retain round background stars despite imaging from an Alt./Az mount ! :bow::bow:

Also congratulations, John ! :bow::bow: I particularly like that image of Altair. Despite its dominating brightness, you've retained those few faint stars very close to it without losing them in the glare ! :waytogo:

Best regards,
Tel

#1013 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:08 AM

I was attempting a new target for me last night. The Blue Snowball planetary nebula. I was very pleased with the clear,dry Canadian air that moved in last night the high humidity of the last few days moved out and temps were hovering in the mid 50's F dew points mid 40's F. The Snowball was so bright in the test shots it seemed more like Neptune than a nebula. 30x30sec.@ Iso 1600 with darks subtracted. The first is the original stacked DSS photo
the second is my attempt at getting detail from the nebula using PScs2.Nexstar 5i 6.3 FR/FF 1100D Canon.
Thanks for looking.
Be Well
Grey

Attached Files

#1014 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:12 AM

My attempt at pulling detail from the Blue Snowball planetary nebula. Using PScs2.
Be Well
Grey

Attached Files

#1015 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi Grey,

Your first image is absolutely fine; just what one might expect and certainly something on which to work in terms of processing but perhaps a few observations which I hope you find constructive:

The Blue Snowball ia very small planetary nebula so why use a f/6.3 reducer and not remain with the normal f/10 of your N5i ?

True, (and I've been there !), imaging from an Alt./Az., spur gear driven mount at f/10 is by no means the easiest of tasks and, given the exposure time limitations, might not have brought out any real detail, but maybe it might just have been worth a try, reverting if necessary, to f/6.3 if the result proved disappointing. (Perhaps however, this was the route you took) ?

Secondly, in raising the lightness of the background, two phenomena emerge; the image is strangely offset and sloping from what appears to be the main frame dimensions while also containing an odd set of concentric circles. No doubt you saw this yourself when beginning processing, but if not, place the image in your P/Shop and click on the Auto Level feature.

Any explanation ?

BTW. I'm still trying to prepare some kind of guide for you to the features I personally fluctuate among in P/Shop CS2 but as I'm sure you appreciate, no two images are the same so it's all very much a case of, "if it works, keep it: if it doesn't: delete it" ! :idea:

So saying, it doesn't take too long before one has a feeling as to what feature and "follow-ups" to apply.

Best regards,
Tel

#1016 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 25 August 2013 - 08:52 AM

Tel, as always thanks for your gentle critique of my snowball attempt. We have had a remarkable streak of clear nights( if 3 in a row qualifies as a streak) and tonight promises to be good also so I'm planning to try to recapture this image sans FR/FF. It will give me some needed experience in comparing the same object different set up comparisons. I really pushed the shot hard to try to get any detail out of the nebula, I am surprised that the center of the nebula was so bright. I saw images of the snowball that show structure in the nebula but these I'm sure were not taken with a comparable imaging set up to mine. I think you're the only CN'er that has been at all encouraging as far as attempting to use the N5i for imaging and I thank you.
Be Well
Grey

#1017 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 25 August 2013 - 03:41 PM

Hi Grey,

There is absolutely no reason why the Nexstar 5i shouldn't be used for imaging, particularly if, (for most DSO attempts), the focal ratio is reduced to:

a) Provide the (usually) necessary increase in the FOV,

and

b) Reduce exposure time, thus avoiding field rotation.

Perhaps therefore, give a little thought to what might be the difference between you using your Nexstar 5i at reduced focal length, (e.g. f/6.3) and I using my "cheapo" Chinese Phenix 4" refractor at f/5.9. I'm sure the conclusion you'll reach is that there is little if anything between them. Where I score, is (only) in the use of a good, worm gear driven GEM !

As to imaging this evening, if you do manage to make a f/10 attempt at the "Snowball" tonight, may I suggest that, because it might well be more difficult to hold in the FOV, perhaps cut your exposure time to, say, 20/25 seconds. max. ? It may be more difficult to see in the collected and stacked subs, but remember, P/Shop is a very powerful tool !

Don't however look for too much detail in the nebula itself, it will still be very small even at f/10 and thus the resolution very restricted. In other words, don't try to stretch it !

On the other hand, If you do want to attempt something similar, I think you'll find that the Ring Nebula, (M57), resolves a lot better at f/10 particularly after a little tweaking in P/shop !

Just a few further thoughts which might help. Good luck with both the weather and thus with your planned imaging tonight ! :fingerscrossed:

Best regards,
Tel

BTW: Many thanks for the very kind comment. :bigblush:

#1018 John Miele

John Miele

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:30 PM

Hi grey,

I am impressed by how round your stars are in the cropped shot with 30 second subs. I am finding that 20 seconds is as far as I can go to keep trailing to a minimum. Here is a shot I took of M39 last night. I stacked 50 x 20 seconds using an AT72 and a QHY9C on my Nexstar 8SE mount...CS...John

Attached Files

#1019 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:49 PM

Hi John,

Congratulations on a fine image of M39 ! :bow::bow:

I would entirely agree with you in not trying to "push" too far with the exposure time. More has been managed with success, there's no denying, but in my experience, (rule of thumb), around 30 seconds is pretty well the cut-off point. At that, I prefer to let P/Shop processing take over ! :waytogo:

Best regards,
Tel

#1020 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 26 August 2013 - 03:23 AM

By the way, Grey, I've just seen, on looking back over a few posts, that you've already imaged the Ring Nebula to good effect but, then again, I assume this was carried out at f/6.3. (?)

If this were the case, then I think it would still be worth tackling M57 at f/10 in order to gain better resolution of the gaseous, outer layer and at the same time, the probable capture of the central, Mag. 15 star !

Best regards,
Tel

#1021 Greyhaven

Greyhaven

Surveyor 1

• Moderators

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

John and Tel thanks for the feed back. I got clouded out last night. My fault for bragging about a few clear night skies. :foreheadslap: The astronomy gods forgive so little. I just started using the FR/FF a few weeks ago, and honestly I think the reason was to attempt to get more of M031 into the field of view and really was disappointed with the results, but found it seemed to do well on the scorpion cluster. Tel I have only used my 90mm Gem mounted refr. for solar or lunar photography and visual use. It has a motor driven drive so I should do a polar alignment and try some AP with it. As far as keeping round stars I do my alignment, 2 star, using BYEOS and my 1100D Canon and the only mod done to the mount was the addition of Ray's Brackets for clearance and balance reasons and tracking issues are usually caused by cables snagging and that I guess happens because of my poor planning. I now tend to work a much smaller area of the sky during a session. I also work with just jpeg format so that means I'm not using a great deal of data that is available. My observatory lap top has a intel 5i processor and 8 gigs of ram with a 1 TB hard drive so I should not worry about processing Raw images. Just one more speed bump on the AP highway of my life. :confused:. Thanks for your help and advice from all of the NS group.
Be Well
Grey

#1022 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 29 August 2013 - 10:47 AM

After weeks of cloudy skies, I finally got astro session. Tried Veil Nebula and here's what I managed to produce. ISO 1600, 88X 30secs frames (total exposure 47min), and used 2" Baader UHC-S filter.

Attached Files

#1023 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:12 AM

Hi Jeff,

The basis of a good image here with good round stars, no drift ! Many congratulations ! :bow::bow:

I hope you don't mind, but I passed the image through P/Shop to see if any further detail could be extracted and sure enough, came up with this. It might not be to your taste but perhaps it demonstrates that, in many cases, there's more to these original images than meets the eye ! :lol:

Best regards,
Tel

BYW: I thought I'd put a new perspective on it by rotating it CW 90 degs.

Attached Files

#1024 Unidentified130

Unidentified130

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Fort Collins, CO

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

I'm getting to a point that my sessions are always into AP instead of visual. To be honest, personally, I find visual gets boring now. I only use my Baader Zoom as a zoom adapter for my Rebel XSI. Taking a picture gives more satisfaction than just looking at an object which makes AP more rewarding than visual. I even thought about selling my SE mount to fund for a Celestron VX mount. Living in the Orange Zone and not having access to a dark site (with work and family, don't have the time to go into one), I do my visual through AP if that makes sense.

#1025 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 30 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I'm getting to a point that my sessions are always into AP instead of visual. To be honest, personally, I find visual gets boring now. I only use my Baader Zoom as a zoom adapter for my Rebel XSI. Taking a picture gives more satisfaction than just looking at an object which makes AP more rewarding than visual. I even thought about selling my SE mount to fund for a Celestron VX mount. Living in the Orange Zone and not having access to a dark site (with work and family, don't have the time to go into one), I do my visual through AP if that makes sense.

Everything you say makes perfect sense to me, i also live in a heavily light polluted area, thats why i turned to imaging with help from others here like Tel.I now pretty much only shoot narrowband, as this often takes care of L/P, mainly in the Ha waveband.

Cameras and CCD equipment certaily can capture far more than the eye can ever see,and as you rightly say its more rewarding. Its good fun to be able to capture the targets and retain them in images, you cannot do that visually.

Mind you, these comments might stir up those visual observers, Peter........ :roflmao:

best regards,

Tom.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics