Best regards,
Tel

#1652 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:59 AM

Another stunner George, like the wide field you captured taking in both the H/H and Flame, looks like your on a roll with your imaging set up :bow: :bow: :waytogo:

regards,

Tom.

#1653 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

This is a completely different HH to what I am accustomed to seeing. Brilliant!

#1654 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:43 AM

Thanks James, Milby, Tel, Tom and Haseeb. My rig has been very cooperative the last few evenings. Good polar alignment using Celestron's ASPA has been key and empirically identifying settings in PHD for guiding in declination one session. The CG5 is notoriously hard to guide in declination so I spent time a lot of time with balance, PA and PHD. I am not swapping out my OTA anytime soon!!

I would like to put the 8SE OTA and its longer FL on a GEM but that may be better suited for braver souls with a CG5 and for me that means adding a beefier mount to the collection at some point down the road. I bought this CG5 used to dip my toe into AP and some nights I justed wanted to scream but I will take the past few good nights as compensation!

Tel, I think it is surely the other way around!!!

I want to add some HA data to the HH and see what effect that has on the image. Maybe tonight if I am so lucky.

Best,

George

#1655 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

Outstanding imaging ! What more can one say ? :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best regards,
Tel

Seconded! Simply stunning and worthy of publication.

Art

#1656 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:19 PM

Great professional quality images George.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

#1657 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Wow! Great images George. Like Bri, I prefer the 1st shot of M45. More nebulosity in the second, but, for me , it all seems to wash together. The HH and Flame shot is absolutely beautiful. I love it!! :bow: :bow:

#1658 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:07 PM

Thanks Peter and Skip. What's nice about tinkering with the processing is that it is easy to oblige different folks tastes. AP is such a wonderful combination of tech and art and can be so engaging!

Best,

George

#1659 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:56 PM

That's true what you said George, each has their own taste for colours and sometimes the monitor too can play a small part in what we see. :D

#1660 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:23 AM

Looking at George's HH and Flame Nebula prompts me to get back to some DSO imaging but at the moment Jupiter is so tempting particularly as it's riding so high in the British skies at this time.

Last night the conditions were very still so I went for it, as they say !

'Scope: Nexstar 8i OTA on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GEM

Camera: Philips Webcam SPC900NC plus X2 Barlow. 120secs. at 30 fps.

Stacked in Registax with applied Wavelets. Final processing in Photoshop CS2.

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#1661 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:15 AM

Wow!! What a gorgeous image of Jupiter. Just fabulous Tel. I agree that Jupiter is screaming for attention right now. Congratulations!!

Best,

George

#1662 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

Nice capture Tel, good to see you got out, i notice too one of Jupiters moons at about the 2 o clock position near the edge of the field. Great catch. :jump: :bow: :waytogo:

Hoping to join you in getting out tonight, looks to be a good sky given the forecast(where have i heard that before).

Might have a go at IC405 the flaming star nebula, here`s hoping.

best regards,

Tom.

#1663 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:53 AM

Wonderful image Tel. Nice to see you "at it" again.

I, like Tom, am hoping to be out there tonight.

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

#1664 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:28 PM

Lovely capture and processing Tel. :bow: One comment I have is that the rippling effect may perhaps be due to the last slider of wavelet?

#1665 milby

milby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Beautiful Jupiter, Tel! Love the detail in the cloud bands. Gorgeous Horsehead George. You've really hit the sweet spot in your rig, obviously. Keep'em coming, guys!

#1666 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oxfordshire. UK.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

Looking at George's HH and Flame Nebula prompts me to get back to some DSO imaging

Very true - some lovely captures there George. :bow:

at the moment Jupiter is so tempting particularly as it's riding so high in the British skies at this time.

Snap! Considered trying my hand at M45 last night but decided to have another go Jupiter

Scope: Nexstar SE 8 OTA on a Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro GEM
Camera: Philips Webcam SPC900NC plus X3 Barlow.
120secs. at 30 fps.

Stacked in Registax with applied Wavelets.
Final processing in Photoshop.

Spent a lot of time trying to get the collimation right and (hopefully you'll agree) got my best Jupiter to date. For some reason the processed images look better on my laptop but I'll have another go after work. Still I'm quite pleased with this effort...

Attached Files

#1667 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

I was able to have my first decent (cloud & moon free!) view last night using my new 5SE, between 10.30 - 12.30 but then it got a bit too frosty for me! :snowedin:

I'm quite pleased with Jupiter, considering that I didn't use a barlow & haven't adjusted the image apart from cropping it (single exposure, ISO 200, 1/80 sec):

http://www.flickr.co...l-bbcskyatnight

I also had a first attempt at the Orion Nebula (single exposure, 4 secs, ISO 6400):

http://www.flickr.co...l-bbcskyatnight

I must admit I was a little dissapointed by the star trails, I took several other longer exposures which had more detail but the trails were awful! :thumbsdown: Am I expecting too much, or is there anything I can do to correct this? The telescope was level & I aligned it via the two-star method, I've also entered my full lat/long for my location. Would I get better results if I used a 'piggy back' mount & a 300mm lens? Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

Robin

#1668 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:00 AM

Hi Robin

How are you activating the shutter on the camera? Manually, via remote or timer? Could it be the mount wobbling after you've touched the camera?

#1669 Lobot

Lobot

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:37 AM

I had it set to take 2 x images following a 10 sec timer, which I hoped would give it sufficient time to settle down.

Apologies for the basic question, but do I need to do a 'polar align' and/or use the wedge? I've only used the 'two star align' method so far although I've tried to be very careful each time: I levelled the telescope, entered the precise time, lat & long, & used two stars approx 90 degrees apart, and each time it's stated 'alignment successful'. However, it doesn't seem to work very accurately & often it's 5-10 degrees out?

This is my first telescope and I'm still not sure what I should expect from it! For example, when I've viewed the nebula via the 10x 'liveview' of my camera the main stars were clear, but were gradually moving across the screen, so I needed to keep adjusting it. Is this normal? :question:

Cheers

Robin

#1670 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

Andy, yes totally agree this is your best Jupiter for detail yet, looks like your collimation did the trick. background colour is odd being reddish,(on my monitor anyways) but i`m sure you can deal with that.

I did have a fiddle with your image and got more detail out of it, however as you know, my colour skills are zero and i could not get it right, but there`s definitly more you can bring out with another process. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Best regards

#1671 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:15 AM

Hi Robin,your quite right to be pleased with your Jupiter capture, very well done for a single exposure :bow: :bow: :waytogo:

As for your star trailing problem, i will leave that to those that use the alt/Az mount, i can say though, that several here on this thread have managed 20 second exposures, and a bit more in some cases with great results, i`m sure others will point you in the right direction to help you get the most out of your mount, so hang in there.

regards,

Tom.

#1672 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

Lovely captures that Bill. :D

Excellent for a single snapshot Robin. :like:

#1673 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:34 AM

Hi Robin

I have a Nexstar although once I decided I liked astrophotography I abandoned the mount! I'm not sure what setup you have - just a standard nexstar?

The usual things I remember checking were the mount being level, then the balance and stability. Others on here have had great results with the mount for at least 30 seconds of exposure so it can be done.

Have a read of some of the stickies - find the balance point of the scope and hang something heavy off the bottom of the mount.

Having the anti-vibration pads on the tripod feet helped dampen movement. A breeze could cause trails too - the 8SE is a bit like a big sail on the nexstar mount!

Check the setting for tracking rate - is it on Lunar or Solar?

I'd say have a go with the 10 exposures on timer. It may've stablised by the end of the image run.

Finally, don't dance around on the patio in excited anticipation of your images - that doesn't help!!!! :D

Hope some of this is of use.

Andy

#1674 MushroomBill

MushroomBill

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Tom and Maverick.

Think my laptop is doing odd things to my images. Will try again later.

#1675 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Actually got out last night, seems months since my last serious attempt, in fact it has been. However last night, at least for a few hours, allowed me to finally make a capture, conditions were clear of cloud, but some mist, still i had to give it a go.

I went for a target that i`m pretty sure Tel mentioned to me a while back, that being IC405 the Flaming star nebula, i cannot get the entire nebula in my FOV so here`s a close up.

IC405 is a combination of emmision and reflection nebula and lies in Auriga approx 1500 L/Y away, the large star in this image, is a giant blue star, AE Auriga, and is responsible for the illumination of the nebula.

Image comprises of 8 X 20 minute subs in mono Hydrogen Alpha.

Imaged with Skywatcher ED80 DS PRO refractor, Atik, 314E CCD and 7 nm Baader Ha filter.

Posted Image

thanks for looking, this is my initial process of the data, so will most probably re-process at some time.

best regards,

Tom

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics