• Please log in to reply
2672 replies to this topic

#1801 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 25 December 2012 - 12:46 PM

What a lovely picture Milby.

Isn't left and right swapped over though??

Art

#1802 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

Wow! Nice Flame and Horsehead!!

#1803 ghataa

ghataa

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central, NJ

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:34 PM

Beautiful HH!!

Congratulations!!

George

#1804 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:49 AM

Belated many thanks for all the feedback, Andy and I have received from you guys re. our joint Jupiter webcam/processing project. It's nice to know that it looks good to others and therefore confirms that we've not exhausted the ability of the ol' Philips SPC900NC !

Congratulations also to Milby on his fine images of the Rosette and the Horse Head ! :bow::bow::bow: They get ever better !

Best regards,
Tel

#1805 Alex Post

Alex Post

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Stunning. You folks are amazing. Thank you.

#1806 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:11 PM

Nothing new due to the atrocious weather of late.

As a result, and to prevent complete "stir craziness", I've spent the afternoon reworking a few AVIs of Saturn captured back in May of this year. (This is in line with my exploration of latent capacity within my webcam before deciding to move to something more sophisticated for planetary imaging).

Thus:

Celestron 8i mounted on a Skywatcher HEQ5Pro + X2 Celestron Barlow.

15 fps X 180 secs. using a Philips SPC900NC webcam.

Stacked and processed in Registax 5 completed in P/Shop CS2

Thank you for viewing.

Best regards,
Tel

Attached Files

#1807 milby

milby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:35 PM

Just a thought that's probably been explored previously but I wonder if posters have shared FITS files for processing here. It would be very interesting to see the different interpretations of the data. Especially when the weather is overcast over much of our sight-lines!

#1808 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 28 December 2012 - 06:32 AM

Nice one Tel, good banding and "C" div, like the scale too. :waytogo:.I might well join you in processing some older data, after all, its not as if we in the UK have any imaging options at the moment given this crud weather of ours.

milby, theres no way of sharing fits files on this forum given file size restrictions,there are third party sites that allow you to link to them, where you can upload fits files to share, however many including myself wont do that as you have to give email and possibly other personal information, for security reasons then, you can understand why people are reluctant to share files when you cannot be certain whats happening to your personal details.

best regards,

Tom.

#1809 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 28 December 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thanks Tom, it's amazing how one has to amuse oneself on these eternally bleak afternoons !

On your other comment though, and bearing in mind what you say about the problems in supplying FITS format, would it not perhaps be possible to provide an image, (of whatever object), purely stacked from its subframes in, let's say, Registax, but without any further processing, converted to jpeg format for the various interpretations according to Milby's interest ?

I know it's not an ideal format, but perhaps better than none and surely capable of producing the probable variation in processor techniques which appears to be of interest here ?

(Of course, the quality of the outcome would depend entirely on the quality of the initially submitted subframe stack).

Possible ? Worth doing ? What do you guys think ?

Best regards,
Tel

#1810 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 28 December 2012 - 08:19 AM

Hi Tel,

milby`s mention of fits files,and i am assuming, was mentioned on the grounds, that with fits files, we dont get any compression of data, therefore, as we all know, its the best format to allow full processing of data captured.So i dont think milbys mention of us sharing fits files was anything other than what he said, milby can correct me if i`m wrong of course.

It is of course possible, to stack and align our fits files as you mentioned, then using the stacked fits file,totally unprocessed, convert the fits file to jpeg for posting and allowing others to manipulate the data, but again, being so compressed, we are never going to get the best out of the data in jpeg format, even if the converted jpeg is totally unprocessed.

milby of course can jump in and perhaps just clarify the situation, as to whether as i suspect, its the sharing of fits files is what he means.

best regards,

Tom.

#1811 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

Hi Tom,

What you say is very true. :bow:

Unwanted jpeg compression is certainly undesirable but then if we, as a forum group, have already been interactive in the past in "reworking" (jpeg) images produced and posted here by each other to (hopefully) good effect and have perhaps learnt a little more of processing techniques in passing, then isn't this "messing" (with permission of course), worthwhile .... (even with jpegs) ?

So saying and I thank you for the appreciation of my Saturn rework, but I note from your email that the final colour was not to your particular taste. As always therefore, Tom, and in keeping with the spirit of this post, please feel free to adjust it ! :rofl2:

Best regards,
Tel

#1812 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Tel,

not much point my messing and adjusting your Saturn Tel, you know full well i usually steer clear of colour images as i have no skills in that direction, give me mono anyday, far less of a problem :rofl5:

Having said that, and given that like you, i have no new data to play with, i too went back and found a Saturn AVI capture i made back in 2007, (i think it was 2007).

Just had a play with my old Saturn data and came up with this,still not happy with the colour though.

Posted Image

best regards,

Tom.

#1813 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Lovely snap of Saturn Tom.

Colour looks fine to me :waytogo:

Art

#1814 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:26 AM

Lovely banding with excellent resolution and a good Cassini division, Tom ! :bow::bow:

Was that taken with your now defunct "Neximage" back in '07 ?

Best regards,
Tel

#1815 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

Many thank`s Art,sad though that i have to play with old data rather than something new given our cruddy weather.

Hi Tel, many thanks to you too for your kind comments, yes i think it must have been the old original NexImage planetary ccd,(and we both know what happened to that, lol) used with my 6" f/8 yard cannon,(Skywatcher refractor) and i think a 2X barlow, its been so long ago since i`ve done any lunar or planetary i just dont remember that well, i can say though, that this was the best capture i made of Saturn in all the time i imaged it,this was captured at 10 frames per second on a very clear and stable night.

EDIT...just checked the details on the AVI,this Saturn image was aquired on the 12th May 2007 at 10.33 pm at 10 frames a second, 601 frames captured, and all frames used in the stacking

regards,

Tom.

#1816 Peter9

Peter9

Aurora

• Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred

Posted 29 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

Two fine Saturn images and good processing to boot. Helps while away the frustration, keeps your hands in, and treats us to something to feast our eye on. :bow: :bow:

Thanks for posting.

Regards. Peter.

#1817 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 29 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

Hi Tom, that's a stunning Saturn. :D

#1818 Alex Post

Alex Post

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Iowa, USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

^^ What Maverick said.

#1819 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:01 PM

One of the better ones I've seen, Tom. :waytogo:

#1820 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Many thank`s to all for your comments on that Saturn redo :thanx:

best regards,

Tom.

#1821 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:52 PM

Tel- Very nice! Tony

#1822 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:15 AM

Very many thanks Tony, much appreciated. Tom's beats me hands down for resolution though ! :bow::bow:

:waytogo:

Best wishes for a very happy New Year to you and yours,
Tel

#1823 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Very many thanks Tony, much appreciated. Tom's beats me hands down for resolution though ! :bow::bow:

:waytogo:

Best wishes for a very happy New Year to you and yours,
Tel

Many thank`s for that kind comment Tel, but in all truthfulness, i got very lucky that night, in that i had a very rare night of good seeing, does not happen very often, simply a case of right place at the right time me thinks.

best regards,

Tom.

#1824 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 31 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

Hey... They are both good :bow: :bow: :grin: One of these days I'd like to give it a try but I'm not quite there yet,g. Tony

#1825 bouffetout

bouffetout

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:56 PM

Isn'this supposed to be a Nexstar thread ?? Just asking...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics