• Please log in to reply
2693 replies to this topic

#1851 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

• Loc: Wallingford England

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:40 AM

Congratulations, Nomosnow ! :bow::bow:

For a first attempt at video making, this is superb.

(Something I've never undertaken, would like to, but don't know how) ! :bigblush:

Best regards,
Tel :gramps:

#1852 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:50 AM

Also, congratulations, Milby, on the rework of your M42 image ! :bow::bow:

Yes, with a similar weather pattern over here, reviewing and trying to improve old images is the only thing preserving my sanity ! :confused:

I am trying to make notes this year on how often we see the Sun for any prolonged length of time. So far this year, today will likely be the third time in 13 days. The first was on the first of January, the second on the nineth !

(It's not doing my Vitamin D synthesis any good at all) :4

Best regards,
Tel

#1853 CelestronDaddy

CelestronDaddy

Viking 1

• Loc: Central Texas

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

nomosnow - Very nice! :grin:

#1854 milby

milby

Vostok 1

• Loc: Indiana, USA

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:10 PM

LOL, Tel. I've read so much about the Herschels over the years and often wondered how they managed to canvass the sky so thoroughly given their obvious hardship from the weather in England. I always hover over their spot in Westminster Abbey when I get to London. Anyway, hope it breaks for you soon, my friend!

#1855 cpl43uk

cpl43uk

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bristol, UK

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:54 AM

Let me bring down the discussion a notch or two!

Thought I would show you an image I captured yesterday of AR1654 from iphone video mode and registax/photoshop. I attach the phone to a 2" diagonal of my ALT-AZI 8SE with (literally), a piece of plumbing, some sticky-back plastic and a couple of rubber bands!

Eyepiece was the 8mm stop of a baader zoom and used a UHC filter. Video was about 1 min long, then translated .mov into .avi file (cost some resolution) and the used Registax to develop the image. Ported this into photoshop and played with layers.

I was impressed with the level of detail you can pull out of the scene with such a simple set up and it's a great -yet -easy- way to learn some skills in astrophoto-land.

Attached Files

#1856 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

Chris,

That is cool as hell! I got some shots of the Venus transit from the eyepiece with my phone and, though not nearly as detailed as yours, they are surprisingly good. Congrats!

#1857 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

• Loc: India

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:54 AM

Milby, Chris, Tel, some great images and processing to boot. Specially Tel for taking the time to explain in detail which is helpful to me as well. :bow:

#1858 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 19 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Mosaic of two Rosette images from 1/17/13. HA filter. Processed in Maxim DL and pixinsight, with final conversion to format in PS

Attached Files

#1859 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hi Milby,

A great mosaic and a lovely image to boot ! :bow::bow:

Did you use that really excellent piece of software "Microsoft Ice" which "Maverick" (Haseeb) brought to the forum ?

So saying, I took some seven segments of the full moon some years ago in order to practise my skills in mosaicking via a processing program known as Photo Impact 8. I was somewhat successful but in some cases, I,(and of course others), could still see the "stitch" !

Haseeb's offering on the other hand, eliminates this completely.

Unfortunately, due to my poor calculating, my segmentation of this full moon was incomplete and a small portion appeared to have been omitted. (See attached).

However, I now know, thanks to our friends and colleagues, Haytor and Mushroom Bill, what happened to it !

:4

Best regards,

Tel :rofl2:

Attached Files

#1860 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 19 January 2013 - 05:47 PM

Gosh darn it Milby.

Those stunning images of yours are enough to make anyone else attempting astro-imaging to simply give up!

Another cracking shot.

Art Posted Image

#1861 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 01:25 AM

Art, you are far, far too kind, but thanks. The feedback from this board has been SO helpful in my struggles with this marvelous, frustrating technology!

Tel, I used the Maxim DL mosaic program, which in my limited experience seems to be pretty effective provided the images are photographed with very similar circumstances (these were the same night, same parameters, etc.) I will have to look into the one you mentioned. Shame about the rodent problem lol!

Clear skies!

#1862 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

Milby, your image are stunning as usual, gettin' used to them now, so don't drop your guard, we are expecting more of these, be warned. :grin:

Lovely image of the Moon Tel, glad ICE was helpful.

Had a chance yesterday to take in some views and felt the transparency was good enough for a quick imaging session of 20 minutes with M 42. Nothing to compare to Milby's and others but from my yard, I am happy.

Attached Files

#1863 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 20 January 2013 - 07:53 AM

It's fine Haseeb ! You are even incorporating the area of sky occupied by the "Running Man" ! :bow::bow:

Perhaps next time you get the opportunity to image the same though, try taking one set of images at, say, this exposure and another set at, say, a quarter of the time ? (Obviously you'd need to adjust exposure times as you think best for the prevailing conditions).

The result of each individual stack could then be overlayed to give both details of the gaseous filaments, while not overexposing the region around the "Trapezium" in the final image. Indeed it should be quite possible to retain the "Trapezium" stars themselves within the image.

If you think you might have any difficulties in producing and/or processing along these lines, (and of course only if you've a mind to attempt this), let me know and I'll try to help.

Best regards,
Tel

#1864 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

• Loc: Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Hi Tel,

Hey buddy, it looks like you need a "better mousetrap"!! :grin:

#1865 Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Galactic Hitch-Hiker

• Loc: South Yorkshire, UK

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:48 AM

Art, you are far, far too kind, but thanks.

On the contrary, credit where credit is due :bow:

These are images that I would be proud to have taken (and I'm a perfectionist)!

Art Posted Image

#1866 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Hi Tel, now that you mentioned it, I did take some 15 secs images to. Only when I try to blend the outcome is a disaster or perhaps I am doing this wrong. :question: I used the quick tool to cut the core and try to paste the one with the 15 secs. Is this correct? I am sure it can be as simple as this.

Thank you. :bow:

#1867 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Haseeb, this is a useful video tutorial on layer masks in photoshop:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=THlwDf4zDDo

#1868 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:18 AM

Thanks Milby. I have seen a couple of tutorials and need to study them more carefully step by step.

#1869 Tel

Tel

Cosmos

Posted 22 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

Hi Hasseb, Hi Milby,

That's an excellent tutorial, Milby. Mind you, I think I'll have to watch it a few times in order to digest its content fully ! :lol:

But as Doug remarks on this "Youtube" video, there are many ways of effecting layering; this way being prefered by him.

As mentioned, I found it very informative, but I also believe that the quality of the image will ultimately dictate the best method to employ, in turn, to get the best out of it. I once heard once that apparently there are 17 Photoshop ways of tackling any processing task ! How true that is, I don't know but I do know that there are quite a few "wrinkles" one can use to get around processing problems !

Sorry, Haseeb, but could you refresh my memory; did you say at one juncture you were using Photoshop Elements ? In any event, what you describe you did with your 15 second exposures, sounds to be on the right track.

Is there however any possibility you could post your stacked 15 second exposures here in jpeg format so that I could take a shot myself at layering them, in order to possibly allow "Trapezium" visibilty ?

Best regards,
Tel

#1870 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

well, the skies are clear here but it's 7 degrees F and blustery so in the interest of keeping my digits I'm foregoing data acquisition!

Still tinkering with M42. I've had a go in Pixinsight, which has an HDR composition program that is somewhat more sophisticated than the PSE layer masks I'd used before. These are two sets of images ( 20x100s subs plus 20x5s) integrated at the linear stage via that program, then after stretching I used the HDR wavelets tool to bring out the details in the core. If anyone is interested in the full workflow in Pixinsight I'd be happy to provide it.

Attached Files

#1871 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

Not to be a killjoy, Milby, but I thought the Trapezium came out clearer in your previous go at it.

#1872 milby

milby

Vostok 1

Posted 22 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Possibly in this compressed form. On my machine this original full size version is far superior to the Photoshop one and the trapezium is well resolved.

#1873 Skip

Skip

Starlifter Driver

Posted 22 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Anyway, it's a beautiful image! :bow:

#1874 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:28 AM

Hi Tel, I will post in Jpeg format as soon as I get home. Thanks. :) I use Photoshop Elements 9.

Milby, another great image, well done. :bow:

#1875 Maverick199

Maverick199

Voyager 1

Posted 23 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Hi Tel, here's the 15 sec stacked and converted to Jpeg. I had to reduce file size too. No processing done.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics