Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Review of the TEC eyepiece turret

By Tom Bryant

#2 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 03:35 PM

Nice review, makes one think of the possibility of owning one. But, they ain't cheap, that's for sure......

#3 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Tom:

Thanks for the write-up. I have one of those gadgets too and really enjoy it. Recently, through parfocalizing I've come up with all kinds of additional mischief I can get into with the turret (such as conducting tricksy "semi blind" tests regarding color tone and/or transmission of different eyepieces).

One thing I would add to your excellent write up is this: I've compared the scatter properties of the TEc turret mirror to many other mirrors and prisms, including my A-P Maxbright by measuring green laser contact spot diameters. The TEC mirror has the least scatter (smallest contact spot) of any mirror I tested, and is even superior to some of the prisms I've tested in this regard.

A very nice addition.

- Jim

#4 highfnum

highfnum

Vanguard

• Loc: NE USA

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:03 PM

good article
rebirth of an old unitron item

#5 Jim Curry

Jim Curry

Surveyor 1

• Loc: STL

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:04 PM

I purchased one several years ago and put a suite of ortho's in it. When my ortho collection grew I bought another TEC for that much used brand just to avoid the extra handling. Other than cash flow considerations there's minimum depreciation in ownership. THey're very high quality. In terms of weight, a 5 ortho ep loaded TEC turret weighs about what a 31N with diagonal weighs so other than stabilizing the OTA while making the switch, there isn't any other balancing issues to deal with.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics