Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:34 PM

First Light Review of my new Orion SkyQuest XX14g

By Chris Caka

#2 David Knisely

David Knisely

Hubble

• Loc: southeastern Nebraska

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:45 PM

I'm glad the Go-to and tracking seem to be working, but I am still wondering about the optical quality in these new scopes (especially after what happened with my XX14i). The review states that "Nearly every object I selected would end up in the FOV of my 13mm eyepiece!". That field would be roughly 32 arc minutes across, so I would think one would expect any halfway decent Go-to to do at least that well. My XX14i allows me to easily look into the eyepiece even when it is pointed straight up without having to use any kind of step stool (a 63" eyepiece height and I am barely 69" tall). Looks like the Go-To version is significantly taller if someone 6 feet tall can't look into the eyepiece without a step stool. There were a number of questions left unanswered by this first light account, other than the Go-To and tracking performance, so the review may not be as useful as it could have been. How about some comments about the star test of this beast and its planetary performance at some fairly high powers? Inquiring minds want to know (more). Clear skies to you.

#3 hypergolic

hypergolic

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Home

Posted 26 September 2011 - 02:40 PM

I love Orion's online description....

"The 14-inch parabolic primary mirror doesn't just gobble up photons; it wolfs them down eagerly for your visual inspection."

#4 Snaproll

Snaproll

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Green Bay

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:00 PM

Chris, thank you for you review. I found it very useful. My wife has the XX12 and did a review on it. We've been eyeing the XX14 because of the folding base. I've been wondering if the "G" version was taller. It sounds like it is...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics