• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#351 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 25 November 2012 - 09:39 PM

RG6 with RG6 cable TV ends... BNC ends don't hold up well.

#352 Tak North

Tak North

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

Figured I might as well finally Chime in as well. Got my camera earlier this year. It's taken quite a while to get things finally tuned in, but it seems to be working quite well now. Here are a few of the most recent results:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My thanks to Dick Spalding for his help and extreme patience in getting me up to speed! :grin:

#353 Mary B

Mary B

Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Minnesota

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:17 AM

Much better product for connector sealing, make sure to cover with a layer of UV resistant electrical tape or it will deteriorate.

http://www.amazon.co...e/dp/B000MY55F4

#354 WirelessDude

WirelessDude

Messenger

• Loc: San Tan Valley, AZ, USA

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

I wanted to chime in as well regarding installation techniques...

I run 3/4" PVC under the eaves of my roof for all my astronomy-related runs and paint them accordingly to match the house. I plan to install PVC from the All Sky cam with a downward facing opening at the camera side. The PVC will run to a utility box that will cover the hole into the house that the power and video cable will enter. This alleviates any weather-proofing issues I may run into in extending any cabling...

Clear skies!

#355 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

Vendor - Spike-a Focusing Mask

• Vendors
  • Loc: Mineral Point, Wi

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Here are my composites from the Geminids last week. Dec 13/14 first.

Attached Files

#356 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

• Vendors

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:32 PM

Dec 14/15

Attached Files

#357 petemumbower

petemumbower

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: West Michigan

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:36 PM

Very nice Jon! I have been trying to figure out how to build those composites, but with only the meteors. I tried to delete the false alarms, but then the composite does not build.

BTW - I am across the Lake from you and the newest part of the Wisconsin node (Grandville).

#358 John Wunderlin

John Wunderlin

• Vendors

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:43 PM

Ya I wish I could delete all the airplane trails. If you figure that out please share and welcome to the club!

I keep hoping for a new node to my West for correlation events, but I'll bet our cameras will catch some together. I've had several hits with the Indiana cams.

#359 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, AZ

Posted 24 December 2012 - 12:55 PM

I came across one of these

http://www.ebay.com/...&_trksid=p39...

Granted this one is color, but I'm wondering if one of these units with the B&W sensor could be put to work. Mount this facing up, already in a weather enclosure...just hook up power and a BNC connection?

I have a TV-tuner in my HTPC that has the proper connector.
This tuner would facilitate images being available for a server.

#360 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 25 December 2012 - 06:25 AM

Granted this one is color, but I'm wondering if one of these units with the B&W sensor could be put to work. Mount this facing up, already in a weather enclosure...just hook up power and a BNC connection?

A quick glance at the product description doesn't indicate whether it's heated to prevent dew or frost formation. That may be an issue (it would be in my neck of the woods.)

#361 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 25 December 2012 - 03:02 PM

A quick glance at the product description doesn't indicate whether it's heated to prevent dew or frost formation. That may be an issue (it would be in my neck of the woods.)

Yep, you get a bit colder than we do in Tucson, where dew and ice are rare events. I believe the only heat would be from the camera itself.

I did confirm that the camera is water resistant in any mounting orientation, but have had no luck in confirming remote on screen display. There's a connector for it though.

EDIT: I was just digging around on the manufacturer's website. Apparently heating and cooling are options that can be procured.

#362 johne

johne

Messenger

• Loc: Prescott, AZ.

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:24 AM

With the vendor-offered heat options, it sounds like you have your bases covered. 😊

#363 James_826

James_826

Explorer 1

• Loc: Beggs, Ok

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:28 AM

I have noticed there has been talk about Windows apps, but what about linux? I have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk and thought it would be a great tool to use for a All Sky Webcam. I almost have everything for Radio Jove running on it for remote listening. Anyone else trying to use linux? If so is motion the only app out there people are using? Anything else?

#364 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

I have noticed there has been talk about Windows apps, but what about linux? I have a Raspberry Pi sitting on my desk and thought it would be a great tool to use for a All Sky Webcam. I almost have everything for Radio Jove running on it for remote listening. Anyone else trying to use linux? If so is motion the only app out there people are using? Anything else?

I'm not a Linux user, but the possibilities of using that remotely with a USB web cam seems interesting.

#365 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

First light, if you will, with a lower cost Dome Camera.
At a cost point of $135 delivered, it seems to have the sensitivity...It's too bad I can't acess the camera controls remotely, but that will have to wait until tomorrow.

I'm porting the signal to a TV Tuner in the Observatory Computer, which then acts as a video server.

Attached Files

#366 Tom and Beth

Tom and Beth

Soyuz

• -----

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

While I can get a better picture I'm not getting the FoV I wanted.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics