Photo

Power Adapter for Canon Rebel XS

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortle 4.5)

Posted 23 October 2011 - 02:59 PM

I have a Canon Rebel XS (1000D) that I'm using for imaging and would like to get away from using internal batteries in the camera. I see on the web that there are many AC adapters available that include a battery-shaped insert to provide power into the battery compartment of the camera.

Does anyone know what the voltage is for that power going to the camera? Is it 12V and could I just wire it up to a plug so I can use a 12V battery to power it? If not, are there any adapters made that plug into 12V and power the Canon XS?

-Dan

#2 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 23 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

Dan,

The dummy battery is just a shell to patch in the battery voltage. It should be 7.4V and no greater than 8.4V.
Use an external power regulator to drop 12V to 7.4V outside the camera body.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#3 Radiostar

Radiostar

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Thunder Bay, Ontario

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:48 PM

The LP-E5 battery is rated at 7.4 volts. The Canon power supply is part number ACK-E5. Prices are all over the map starting at around $50 to well over double that. I have the same camera so let us know how you make out with your project.
Cheers

#4 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

• Loc: St. Petersburg, FL

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

What type of power input socket does the camera use? If it's a typical barrel type then you can use a multi-voltage output unit mentioned in a Fan Speed posting in this forum. My Panasonic FZ50 uses a 7.4V lithium battery but the external source is rated at 8.4V. I'm going to build an 8.4V regulator circuit using an LM7809 chip and a 1N4001 diode in series with the output and power it from the 12V scope supply.

#5 Radiostar

Radiostar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:20 PM

Hiya Eddie
The Canon XS doesn't have an external power jack (nothing I have found anyway). It uses a "dummy" battery to connect to the terminals in the battery compartment and you plug into that. The only jacks I can find is video out, USB, and the external shutter control (very simple to make an external shutter release).
Cheers
73 de VE3SNW

#6 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:35 PM

Maybe Dan can find an empty battery case and attach his own 8.4V supply.

#7 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:51 PM

AC powered.

http://www.amazon.co...MZBGNB3HMR5C8TJ

#8 Radiostar

Radiostar

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Much better price than the Canon original. Thanks

#9 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

Once you get the empty shell then you can connect an 8.4VDC wall supply or some kind of switching DC/DC converter or linear regulator producing the same voltage from your scope 12VDC source.

#10 piaras

piaras

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Niagara Region

Posted 23 October 2011 - 07:39 PM

I know this does not apply for your camera but it will give people ideas of what they can do for a replacement for the battery.

http://www.togastro..../batt_elim.html

#11 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:09 PM

Thanks for the replies:

css_hello: thanks for the voltages! I'll see if I can come up with a 7.5v regulator.

Eddie: that $15 AC adapter on Amazon was the cheapest one I found too. I'll probably get that just to use the dummy battery part.

It would be nice if I can open up the block with the transformer in it, gut that section, and put a 12V to 7.5 volt regulator inside. Then I could use the AC cord for the 12V power lead and just replace the 120V plug with an appropriate 12V one. Of course, those things tend to be pretty well sealed up so I may not be able to do that.

In any case, it doesn't look like there's an off-the-shelf 12V solution so this will be a job for a winter weekend.

-Dan

#12 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:01 PM

I picked up an AC supply for my 350D on eBay for around $10. The dummy battery and cord are used with my field power supply which has an 8v regulator (12v input) in it to power the camera.

You have two choices for a regulator. Linear regulators are cheap, very simple to set up and use, but aren't the most efficient when looking at power consumption. Powering your 8v regulator from a battery (13v to 11v) will result in 60 to 72% efficiency. The remainder of the power taken from the battery will be dissipated as heat. DC-DC switching supplies are much more complicated to build, more expensive to buy, and usually run in the 85-90% efficiency range.

If you have AC power available; then it doesn't make any difference. If you're powering your scope from batteries; you'll need to decide if the cost of the power savings of the DC-DC converters are worth the lower load on the battery.

Phil

#13 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Re: DC-DC step-down module

I'd suggest considering this (has current limiting feature) and this (just voltage regulator) modules. Adjust output voltage first before use.
(fleabay search keywords: LM2596 module)

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#14 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:48 AM

Dan
I think the second item is the way to go. Put it in an aluminum diecast box, bore a hole in each end for the two cables, set the voltage, and power it from your scope supply. I'm going to order two since I have a 3.7VDC camera and a 7.4VDC camera to use for astro work.

#15 Midnight Dan

Midnight Dan

Voyager 1

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:19 AM

Hi Eddie:

Just bought a couple myself. At this price, it's chump change, but I am a little concerned about electrical noise from a switching supply. That can sometime end up showing up as noise in images. I'll have to see how that goes. May want to put a filter capacitor on the input and output, plus putting it in a metal enclosure would help.

-Dan

#16 Arctic_Eddie

Arctic_Eddie

Soyuz

Posted 24 October 2011 - 12:35 PM

The photo shows that there are already input and output caps. There's nothing wrong with adding another on the output side. Tantalum caps have good high freq response. You can also add a few ferrite beads over the input and output wire pairs. I'm going to put a reverse polarity diode across the input side with an inline fuse in the positive lead. I've got some diecast aluminum boxes so that will stop any radiation from the PCB.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics