ETX-125 Mounting Alternatives

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BobH

BobH

Messenger

• Loc: Right Coast

Posted 29 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

Would like to hear suggestions/advice for mounting the ETX-125 tube on alternate mounts.

Thanks,

Bob

#2 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 30 October 2011 - 07:04 PM

Bob, I have recently moved up to a CG-5 ASGT mount, Celestron's Goto GEM, & an Astronomics Voyager Alt-Az; both have Vixen dovetail mounts. My ultimate goal is to have a few OTAs and only 2 mounts, this will give me the ability to choose which optical tube and mount configuration I want for that evenings observing. You could easily put a Vixen dovetail on the ETX-125's 1/4-20 mount on the bottom of the OTA and defork... I still have my ETX-125, but I am seriously considering selling the ETX-125 as the CG-5 ASGT goto ability is as good as the Autostar, and I can mount most OTA's from a 60mm refractor to an 8" SCT, and anything in between on either mount.

My $0.02,
Jaimo!

#3 BobH

BobH

Messenger

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:26 AM

Jaimo,

I have a CGEM and iOptron Minitower. Am getting tired of the inaccurate Gotos of the ETX and thought I might mount the ETX tube on one of the other mounts. Was just wondering if there are any special consideration to keep in mind when doing that.

And if it doesn't work out, how hard is it to reassemble the ETX? I've looked around on Weasner's site, but haven't yet found the guidance I need.

I don't want to screw it up, as I may try to sell it.

Thanks,

Bob

#4 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:18 PM

Bad GoTo's are a sign that the motors need to be recalibrated and trained. I got rough GoTos until I figured out the calibration step. A master reset can also help. There are two mounting points on the underside of the ETX-125 OTA, but I don't think that I'd want to hang the weight of the scope from there. A set of tube rings and a saddle plate might work well.

#5 Pierre Stromberg

Pierre Stromberg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

I just picked up a deforked ETX-125 for forty bucks. I got a dovetail mount from ScopeStuff and put it on my Atlas EQG. It's a winning combination.

P

#6 BobH

BobH

Messenger

Posted 31 October 2011 - 05:35 PM

Bad GoTo's are a sign that the motors need to be recalibrated and trained. I got rough GoTos until I figured out the calibration step. A master reset can also help. There are two mounting points on the underside of the ETX-125 OTA, but I don't think that I'd want to hang the weight of the scope from there. A set of tube rings and a saddle plate might work well.

The tube rings and saddle plate method was what I was thinking about. Was hoping someone had done that and could recommend the components.

#7 BobH

BobH

Messenger

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:41 AM

I just picked up a deforked ETX-125 for forty bucks. I got a dovetail mount from ScopeStuff and put it on my Atlas EQG. It's a winning combination.

P

Pierre,

Can you tell me which dovetail you bought and how you attached it to the OTA?

Thanks,

Bob

#8 blb

blb

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

... Am getting tired of the inaccurate Gotos of the ETX and thought I might mount the ETX tube on one of the other mounts...

I find that after about 12 to 18 months my ETX125PE needs a little tune up because the go-to's are getting off. So I reset the hand controler, train the drives and recalibrate the motors. After doing that, all's well for another year or more. My ETX125PE is now about seven years old and going strong. If I were you I would not give up so easily on a great little grab and go scope for a mount that will never be a grab and go setup. I have other scopes that are used like that. ;)

#9 Jaimo!

Jaimo!

Apollo

• Loc: Exit 135 / 40° North

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:09 AM

Sorry, I have not checked back on this post for a few days.

Bob, I have not deforked my ETX... Rather, I figured the ETX-125 was worth more as a complete system, so I purchased the new mount and 6" Intes Mak OTA. It works fine, so the CFO is leaning on me to sell off the ETX-125. However, I think with a little care and caution, it can be done. I have seen a few ETX forks for sale in the classifieds, and people are buying them... That tells ms that it can be removed and re-installed.

If I were to add a dovetail to the ETX OTA, the simplest would be as Pierre has described.

I also agree with Buddy, I have routinely trained the drives on my ETX about once a year & never had any real problems with the go-to.

Also, if I sell my ETX, can I still visit this forum...? :roflmao:

Jaimo!

#10 Pierre Stromberg

Pierre Stromberg

Ranger 4

• Loc: Woodinville, WA

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

Hi Bob, I got this one from ScopeStuff.

It comes with the standard photo screws which just attach to the bottom of the ETX-125 OTA. It was quite simple once you've removed the forks. The broken pieces of the fork were removed with a simple allen wrench. Hope that helps.

P

#11 BobH

BobH

Messenger

Posted 07 November 2011 - 06:29 AM

Thanks. I should have checked Scope Stuff myself. I didn't realize there was a dedicated plate just for the ETX...that's perfect!

I tried the training and calibrating again, with little improvement. Plus, now I think I've broken (or at least strained) the az lever, so it's "off with his head!"

Thanks again.

Bob

#12 Stavos

Stavos

Lift Off

• Loc: Farmington, Missouri

Posted 21 September 2013 - 03:34 PM

Hi Bob, I got this one from ScopeStuff.

It comes with the standard photo screws which just attach to the bottom of the ETX-125 OTA. It was quite simple once you've removed the forks. The broken pieces of the fork were removed with a simple allen wrench. Hope that helps.

P

:D Been looking for ETX stuff, man you saved me a ton of searching. Thank you so much.

Steve

#13 RichardHK

RichardHK

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Posted 22 September 2013 - 09:44 AM

Steve,

I just bought the 6.3" rings, felt, and dovetail from ScopeStuff and all fine. Only 'problem' was trimming down felt to get good fit on tube. Part numbers are CR63, FL82, and EQD6.

I read about another CNer here who suggested NOT to use the installed mounting on the ETX-125 as being plastic it actually broke on him but he was lucky to catch OTA before it hit the deck.

My deforked ETX-125 runs fine now on a Portamount but waiting on my new AVX later this month.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics