Handling odd questions and conspiracy theorists

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#51 Doc Willie

Doc Willie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mid-Hudson Valley, NY, USA

Posted 03 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

I have no doubt we went to the moon but the least believable aspect has to be the notion that they brought an automobile up there and went for a spin. :lol:

Hmph.

Posted Image

#52 Gil V

Gil V

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 03 July 2013 - 11:16 AM

Bean flew in Apollo 12. No rovers flew until Apollo 15.

#53 Matthew Ota

Matthew Ota

Hmmm

• -----
  • Loc: Los Angeles, California

Posted 04 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

The most common question I hear is:

"How much does the telescope cost?"

I explain how I got a $4000 telescope for $300 by cobbling together used parts.

The next question is:

"How much does the telescope weigh?"

I tell them it weighs five grunts...as it takes some physical lifting work to unload and load it into my truck, and to mount the OTA/Fork assembly onto the tripod/base.

#54 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 July 2013 - 07:44 AM

It's a homing beacon to the mother planet and the invasion fleet should be here within minutes now........appears Earth has been sucking up photons with large tube photon accumulators without MWOA (Milky Way Owner's Association)approval. :bigshock:

#55 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 05 July 2013 - 12:21 PM

My situation was somewhat like Jason's, except they were not home schooled; they were high schoolers pumped up by their Christian Academy background to be nearly street corner preachers. It so disarmed them when I manipulated their concept that it stopped them in their tracks. It is difficult to try to have them learn something when they are not interested in the eye candy nor the science facts. There were on a mission of self-validation. I gave them a comfortable escape for themselves. If they wanted to introduce the concept of an all-omniscient presence responsible for all that we see, then I led them acknowledge this presence in the laws of nature, and their responsibility to learn the manifestation of these laws. They ended up darn close to being science groupies so they could find their creator's presence in the works. Rookies. I felt relieved when no adult teachers or parents showed up to get the A Team involved in the discussion. The kids were ready for a verbal joust, and I think they were stunned a bit at the outcome. I think I was the one astronomer who treated them with respect as long as they showed the willingness to engage in a conversation. I've had some at the Grand Canyon Star Party that were so dogmatic I did not engage, but changed the topic.

My toughest verbal opponents just might be my younger sister and brother-in-law; they are convinced that the earth is hollow and that UFOs are the vehicles of an underground civilization that enters and leaves the underworld through a hole near the North Pole. And about twenty other fringe beliefs.

How do you know they're your sister and brother-in-law and have not been taken over by aliens from the center of the Earth????? :question:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics