Hi all,

Just a heads-up on a new mount from Vixen:

Vixen SXP

#2 core

core

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:00 AM

Thanks for the heads up! Was wondering when they would be revising the SX line with the new Starbook Ten ... although at US$4,880 I'd wager it's positioned between the SXD and AXD. Any reviews on the new SB Ten around the 'net? I hope they've learned their Starbook lesson well enough.

Also, apparently the SB Ten has the option of displaying external video - it would be a rather interesting option for video astronomy for a elegant, albeit it pricey setup - and I don't doubt Vixen has something lined up.

fwiw, weight of mount head:

SXW 6.8kg 15lb
SXD 8.8kg 19.4lb
SXP 11kg 24.3lb

And gleaned from Vixen Japan's site, the payload capacity and moment arm (payload is a weight placed 25cm/9.8" from RA axis, at least that's the way I interpret it):

SXW 300kg.cm 12kg 27lb
SXD 370kg.cm 15kg 33lb
SXP 400kg.cm 16kg 35lb

#3 Kolenka

Kolenka

Apollo

• Loc: Seattle Area, WA, USA

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:16 AM

Beefier than the SXD and it looks like the Dec clutch is no longer part of the saddle.

Price is a bit rich for my blood. Especially with the history of the starbook software for the Sphinx, and that the new software is a complete unknown. The page also mentions that auto guiding will be an add-on later. Whoops.

#4 amys

amys

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Groton, CT

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:19 AM

I saw the new Starbook 10 at NEAF. The display was gorgeous -- no comparison to the old Starbook.

#5 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 08 November 2011 - 12:34 PM

Hi all,

Just a heads-up on a new mount from Vixen:

Vixen SXP

For 3K, I MIGHT be interested. For the money they want for this? Nope. Not given the history of the previous Sphinxes/Starbooks.

I am guessing my Atlas will still be better...and if we ever see the SynScan Tour Controller in the U.S., better still. ;)

#6 ericsolo

ericsolo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 08 November 2011 - 05:15 PM

I hope they've learned their Starbook lesson well enough.

I don't know about Vixen, but I sure learned my lesson well. After my experience with their New Atlux/Starbook, I would be seriously skeptical of any of their mounts, old or new.

Eric

#7 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:18 AM

I am a very happy Atlux user :) With Starbook I had to find my own solutions for goto accuracy but after switching to NexAtlux control board, I don't have any problem at all. The mount acts like a CGE Pro now.

Atlux has a clean, beautiful design and very robust and precise mechanics. Starbook was not a match for this beauty but there are ways to overcome its shortcomings. I will be glad if I can be of any help to you Eric.

#8 ericsolo

ericsolo

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Edmonton, AB, Canada

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:51 AM

Sedat

Thanks for the offer, but I traded my Atlux back to the vendor just prior to the NexAtlux board becoming available. It had more than GoTo problems, it suffered from the infamous "dec jump", making astrophotography next to impossible. The fact that a separate company is making a replacement board is testimony to the poor design of the electronics of the Atlux, and other Vixen mounts. It shouldn't be necessary to spend another $500 on a $5,500 mount to make it work properly. Vixen Optics was of no help, I was assured by them that the problems were my own fault, and the mount was "was working as designed". I spent considerable money sending the mount back to Vixen twice, and had to pay for their time to test the mount (even though it was still under warranty). Not only did I have to send the EQ head, I had to ship the tripod and weights, because they didn't have a tripod to test it on. Based on my experience, I would caution prospective buyers to test these new products before buying.

Eric

#9 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 09 November 2011 - 07:21 AM

Eric, I fully agree with you and very sorry to hear about what you have gone through.

I have gone through a similar period of stress. Besides, it was a big disappointment for me to find out the mount was only rated for 45lbs, contrary to what was stated on Vixen Optics website, 75lbs.

I spent 6 months to understand the goto problems, exchanged lots of emails with Vixen. Finally, just when I was about to throw the mount away, I found a solution on my own and used the mount happily with starbook after that. Starbook was missing a lot of Celestron's functionality but an iPhone + Sky Safari sorted out the majority of these problems. I never had this "DEC jump" issue. I was believing that this had more to do with the SX series until I read your message this morning. Please have a look at my photos all taken with the New Atlux ( I am still a noob on the post processing front)

I switched to NexAtlux last April and this proved to be a very wise move. The only thing I am missing now is the network connectivity of SB.

The support for Vixen products really sucks as we experienced, at least in the States.

However, I still love my mount. I am keeping my Starbook and the Vixen control card as spares just in case I might need them again. NexAtlux board cost me like 179 Euros fyi. The replacement was a straightforward task which took something like 1 hour.

Enjoy your new mount!

#10 tjugo

tjugo

Apollo

• -----

Posted 09 November 2011 - 05:00 PM

Wow 4.8K for this mount?

mmmm... I guess they after the Tak EM200.

I own a SXD+NexSXD and I am very happy, but I bought the mount second hand at a very good price.

Another issue with Sphinx mounts is the lack of a good full feature ASCOM driver...

Cheers,

Jose

#11 JerryK

JerryK

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:03 AM

I believe SkyX and Voyager have Sphinx drivers.

#12 Shiggy

Shiggy

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Auckland, New Zealand

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Has anyone who has the SXP tested DEC. Is the infamous DEC jump gone or still there?

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics