• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 Carol L

Carol L

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:23 PM

And bigger than I expected.

That's what I thought, too - widefield images make it look like a tiny little notch. Glad you finally bagged it! :)

#102 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 28 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Our plan was to use the 48mm Brandon, but the background sky was so black (a popular feature of Brandons) that we couldn't make it out. Pop in the 40mm, with its lighter background sky, and for some reason that made the difference.

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? :thinking: I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site. ;)

We compared the view to the U2000 chart, made sketches of what we saw, and they matched. So we're calling it a success.
But boy, is it faint! And bigger than I expected.

Congratulations! I've been observing for over 40 years and I never saw the Horsehead until last Winter. To get a good idea of the scale of the Horsehead, I like to switch over to the Burning Bush Nebula se of Alnitak (Zeta Orionis). The central dark area is about the size of the Horsehead ... but a lot easier to see.

Mike

#103 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

• Loc: Inner Solar System

Posted 30 January 2014 - 04:26 AM

Let's see, now I wonder what could be the reason? :thinking: I'll just say that I began leaving my Brandons home whenever I went to the dark site. ;)

Mike, I know you're baiting me for some reason, but I really don't understand what you mean. What are you saying? Or implying? If you don't plan on planetary viewing, you probably won't miss the Brandons.
But, the 31 Nagler didn't show the Horsehead, either. Maybe you'd want to leave that one home, too?

#104 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:15 AM

Rick,

No, I didn't intend to bait ... maybe tease a little. ;)

IME, the Brandons do not have the best light transmission. Your observation about the 48mm seems to confirm that. A black background is not necessarily an indication of high light transmission. Often it shows just the opposite. I've seen that the XW's, Delos, Sterling Plossls have higher light transmission than the Brandons. This shouldn't be surprising given the Brandon's simpler coatings.

Brandons for planet, lunar and double stars? Yes! For deep deep sky? No.

But at this point I've sold all my Brandons. I have other eyepieces for planet/lunar. I had too many eyepieces. I had to reduce the troops. Now I'm down to a small elite force of only 40 eyepieces.

Mike

#105 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:55 PM

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF. Plus, we had an h-Beta filter on, which sort of renders any light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. So I can't explain it, except to say that the 40mm is the one for the Horsehead.

#106 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

I don't think the h-Beta would make light-transmission comparisons irrelevant. Those eyepieces with better light transmission should still show objects brighter. If anything, the filter will make transmission differences more obvious. That was the effect I noticed. I think that was also what you experienced.

Mike

#107 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:02 AM

The thing is, when I've compared before, the 48mm B showed fainter stars and better contrast than the 40mm WF.

The WF's go back to 1982. I'm not sure if they have superior light transmission, either. Do they have that "coffee" tone?

Mike

#108 Rick Woods

Rick Woods

Voyager 1

Posted 01 February 2014 - 07:17 PM

Not that I've ever noticed.

#109 Stargazer3236

Stargazer3236

Mariner 2

• Loc: Waltham, MA

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

I observed IC434/B33 back in 1987 with a Coulter I 13" Telescope, a 9mm Nagler and an H-beta filter. I could just detect the nebulous curtain being bisected by the dark nebula.

I observed it again last weekend in my C11, with an 8.8mm ep and an H-beta filter. Could just barely see the curtain and used averted vision to just barely detect B33.

#110 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:39 PM

I'll be giving it a whirl from the Sonoran desert at the end of March in a C9.25. You've encouraged me greatly.

- Jim

#111 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

The end of March will be a little late in the season for Horsehead hunting.

Mike

#112 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 01 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

We'll see.

It's on my supplemental MM menu. I'll hunt for it during the M42, M42, M78 and M79 part of the Marathon search sequence.

I'll be below 34N.

- Jim

#113 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:20 PM

I made my first attempt at the Messier Marathon last year here at 39N. It was easy sneezy with Sky Safari Pro on my Android tablet, using the program as an on-the-fly star hopping guide and memory jogger (no fancy electronics connection to a mount). IIRC, I completed about 88 with no gaps before I called it a night due to cold and fatigue. I'm certain I would have bagged them all if I'd stayed at the dark site all night.

Mike

#114 Vondragonnoggin

Vondragonnoggin

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern CA, USA

Posted 03 April 2014 - 02:06 AM

I just caught first sight with real recognition of it earlier tonight and a prominent flame nebula in my 6" mak with .5x reducer and IIE with 7nm H-Alpha.

Able to just fit flame and HH in same view. Backyard in LP

Worked better to see the detail by sort of rocking view slowly a little side to side like bagging galaxies, then once found the notch, could just make out head curve with nose, but still kind of hard to get any real detail. That region has a nice misty neb though and flame was easy to make out lighter bands separated by dark streaks.

Probably darker skies than backyard or faster focal ratio or bigger scope could have got some further detail.

Was pretty awesome to see it finally. First time solid view though and it was great. On the other hand, moving the scope down a bit to take in M42 was photograph like details. Crazy.

Astronomy rocks!

#115 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 04 October 2014 - 11:09 AM

I had an excellent view of B33 through an H-beta filtered 22" f/3.6 SDM Dob from atop Spruce Knob in West Virginia on the morning of September 27th.  The famous horsehead shape was unmistakable and was even visible without filtration.

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics