• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 arpruss

arpruss

Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Waco, TX

Posted 25 November 2011 - 11:25 AM

An alpha test version (expiring at the end of 2011) of my moon map app for Android is here.

This is a very simple 2D app. No libration or terminator. But you can search for features, toggle which features can be seen, adjust colors, and zoom in and out with the volume buttons (or with the zoom buttons.

I am currently checking the copyrights on the LRO WAC mosaic (if it's NASA, then it's public domain, but it may be ASU copyrighted). I downloaded it and it looked gorgeous when plugged into LunarMap.

I am eventually planning a free version and a pro version.

Attached Files

#2 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Nice. I went to your website and did not find a list of specs. What is the earliest version of Android that this app will support? Unfortunately, my tablet is only Android 1.5. (But what do you expect for $67?)

Mike

#3 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:29 AM

The lowest it supports is 1.6. But PM me with your email address, and I'll see if I can build a special 1.5 version.

#4 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:34 AM

Well, LunarMap will not work with my Pandigital Novel Tablet. It would not install. Could you possibly change the app to be backward compatible with Android 1.5?

Mike

#5 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:09 AM

Currently, the one thing that isn't compatible is the zoom buttons. That wouldn't be that hard to change, though it's not a first priority right now. If I release and it's still locked to 1.6, remind me.

p.s. I just posted 0.13. This fixes the map-position bug, adds a longitude/latitude display (optional), improves image caching, and adds two additional zoom levels (these just blow up the 5Kx5K image layer, so they don't include any more lunar detail, but they may make labels easier to read in crowded areas).

#6 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:47 AM

Thanks for responding to my post. I'll send you my email through PM. If you can manage a version for 1.5 that would be great, if not don't worry about it.

I bought this tablet on a whim just to see what it could do. Not so much, besides simple viewing of JPEGs and PDFs, and PDF zooming is very slow.

So I might replace it with some other inexpensive tablet but which has a higher version of Android ... until I can get a much better Android tablet or even - gulp! - an iPad 2. That would be my first venture into the Apple world. Apple is still too proprietary and too expensive for my tastes, but it does have the most software at this time. No SD port? No USB? You can't upgrade the memory? So many things right and still so many things wrong.

Mike

#7 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

I made a bunch of updates. Now there are four maps to choose from (one included, three need to be downloaded in-app, at no additional cost in the pro version). Now in beta.

http://prussastro.bl...-moon-maps.html

#8 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 01 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

:waytogo: Thanks!

I should have no problem loading LunarMap now. I just upgraded to an Asus EEE running Android 3.2 Honeycomb!

Mike

#9 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 03 December 2011 - 11:38 AM

Version 0.23 just uploaded (here):
Android 1.5 support
Tap on feature for basic information and Wikipedia link
Make the disappearing zoom buttons optional (and non-default)
Make the volume-key zoom optional
Add "hard to change" orientation (you need to tilt the device very much to change orientation to the default portrait or landscape orientations; reverse orientations not allowed; this is handy for observing when the device can tilt in all sorts of ways without an annoying orientation change)

#10 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:08 PM

Thanks again. I can load version 0.23 on my Pandigital Novel, which has Android 1.5. Other observers who buy the inexpensive tablets like my Pandigital can also use this new version of LunarMap.

I found out yesterday that the code name for Android 1.5 is "cupcake." Appropriate. It is a "cupcake" compared to the latest versions of Android. 1.6 is a little better. It's called "donut." :grin:

Mike

#11 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2011 - 08:49 AM

I released the Lite and HD versions in the Market. Just search for LunarMap (one word). The screenshot is from the LRO map in the HD version.

Attached Files

#12 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Alexander,

Would it be possible to have optional inverted (Newtonian) and reversed (SCT, Mak refractor w/diagonal) orientations for the pro version? I have Newts, Maks and refractors, and I use all three at one time or another to look at the Moon, so those orientations would be convenient.

Mike

#13 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

Would it be possible to have optional inverted (Newtonian) and reversed (SCT, Mak refractor w/diagonal) orientations for the pro version? I have Newts, Maks and refractors, and I use all three at one time or another to look at the Moon, so those orientations would be convenient.

It's already there in both the pro and the lite versions. Menu | Options | Observing instrument. (And for a quick upside-down rotate, there is a hack: just tap on "Southern hemisphere".)

#14 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thanks, Alex! Obviously I didn't notice that when I was trying LunarMap. Yes, IMHO, being able to change the orientation depending on your observing instrument is an excellent feature.

Mike

#15 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:23 PM

Does this work with the Kindle Fire? If so, is it possible to download the file outside the Android Market since the stock Fire can't access that.

Thanks,

Don :usa:

#16 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 06 December 2011 - 10:29 PM

Does this work with the Kindle Fire?

I haven't tested it with it yet, but I see no reason why it shouldn't. It has higher specs than my Archos 43.

If so, is it possible to download the file outside the Android Market since the stock Fire can't access that.

I'll submit it to Amazon's Market in a couple of days, but it'll take them about a week or more to put it up.

In the meanwhile, there are instructions for non-Android-Market users here.

#17 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:18 AM

Thanks Alex!

It works great on the Fire. I'll have to upgrade to the 'Pro' version once it's available on Amazon.

Don:usa:

#18 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Alex,

I upgraded to LunarMap HD last night. Works great on my Asus EEE transformer (Android 3.2).

Mike

#19 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

So far, I like LRO mission WAC grayscale mosaic with red labels best. :waytogo:

Mike

#20 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:11 PM

Alex,

I have two suggestions for what I think would be improvements to LunarMap:

(1) Allow the two-finger zoom control

(2) Instead of linking the labels to Wikipedia, link them to The Moon Wikispaces. The Moon Wikispaces has a ton of interesting information for Moon enthusiasts. It has links to Rukl maps, LACs, geologic maps and LPODs. There are links to images from Kaguya and Apollo missions. A classical description of the feature by Elger is presented. If the item is one of the Lunar 100, a link is given to an article concerning that observing list. Also, each feature on Moon Wikispaces has a link back to Wikipedia.

For example, here are comparative links for the label "Rupes Recta":

Rupes Recta on Wikipedia

Rupes Recta on the Moon Wikispaces

A big and obvious difference, IMHO.

Is there a way that the user can set the preferred website themselves?

Mike

#21 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:33 PM

Alex,

I have two suggestions for what I think would be improvements to LunarMap:

(1) Allow the two-finger zoom control

I don't have a device that owns a multitouch device and I understand it's hard to debug two-finger zoom without it. It would also require allowing intermediate zoom intervals--currently I allow only zoom intervals for which the images are pre-rendered. Intermediate zoom intervals would probably be slower.

Once we get a Kindle Fire, I might be able to do it, though.

(2) Instead of linking the labels to Wikipedia, link them to The Moon Wikispaces.

Done for 1.02. Thanks for the suggestion!

Is there a way that the user can set the preferred website themselves?

Done for 1.02. Thanks for the suggestion!

#22 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thanks, Alex! I'll update my copy to take advantage of those changes. You are fast!

:grin:
Mike

#23 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Alex,

When will version 1.02 be available at the Android Market? I'd like to update my copy.

Mike

#24 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 07 December 2011 - 11:07 PM

When will version 1.02 be available at the Android Market? I'd like to update my copy.

I just uploaded. It may take a couple of hours for the Market to make it available.

#25 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:59 PM

I just updated my copy of LunarMap. It's comforting to able to link to Moon Wiki at any lunar feature that's labeled on LunarMap. Moon Wiki and LunarMap will make a Moon Killer combination for us lunatics. Nice!

Mike

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics