LunarMap for Android

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#51 jimarshall

jimarshall

Ranger 4

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

I downloaded the 1.11 .apk file. It installed OK but will not run, I still get the unexpected stop error. I guess my panimage tablet just doesn't have the technical specifications to run all android 1.6 apps. Thanks for the help.

Can you install the Android Log Collector, run LunarMap, and then email me (arpruss@gmail.com) a log from the log collector right after LunarMap crashes?

The log is on the way, I hope. It's the first time I have sent e-mail from the tablet.

#52 arpruss

arpruss

Vendor: Omega Centauri Software

• Vendors
  • Loc: Waco, TX

Posted 11 July 2012 - 05:55 PM

I posted 1.13 on Google Play (and in a couple of days it should show up in the Amazon Appstore). The main new feature is the 1971 USGS Geologic Map of the Moon (with a scan of the geologic description, which can be accessed via MENU | Legend). Nearside only, I am afraid.

In the screenshot, the black labels are a part of the official map, and the yellow labels are added on by LunarMap.

Attached Files

#53 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:56 PM

Very nice! I'm looking forward to that upgrade.

:grin:
Mike

#54 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

I posted a new versions of LunarMap Lite and HD, available in both Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
- HD: nearside NASA Lunar Chart LMP (1976)
- HD: nearside Lunar Chart LPC-1 (1979)
- both (but especially HD): slightly faster startup
- both: fix bug where app went back to last searched-for feature instead of last on-screen location

The maps I added have their own pre-printed labels for the larger features, so LunarMap's labels will overlap them. Sorry about that.

#55 dedo

dedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

You did a good job! I actually enjoy the HD version very much at my scope.
Why don't you add the possibility to import custom maps?

#56 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Got the updates today for Kindle Fire and am still happy that I bought the HD version months ago. (Before I joined this forum!) Great work.

I posted a new versions of LunarMap Lite and HD, available in both Google Play and Amazon Appstore.
- HD: nearside NASA Lunar Chart LMP (1976)
- HD: nearside Lunar Chart LPC-1 (1979)
- both (but especially HD): slightly faster startup
- both: fix bug where app went back to last searched-for feature instead of last on-screen location

The maps I added have their own pre-printed labels for the larger features, so LunarMap's labels will overlap them. Sorry about that.

#57 AdirondackAstro

AdirondackAstro

Ranger 4

• Loc: Plattsburgh, NY

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Just got the update for my Kindle Fire HD too. Thanks, love this app.

#58 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

You did a good job! I actually enjoy the HD version very much at my scope.

Thanks!

Why don't you add the possibility to import custom maps?

I could, but the format isn't very user-friendly, and it takes a lot of work to generate a map. If there is interest from multiple people, though, I can easily add the feature to the HD version.

Download a map from <a href="http://pruss.mobi/dl...rmap/">here</a> to your PC. Then change the .lunarmap extension to .zip, and you can unzip the file and see what's inside it.

What you'll find inside it is an index.txt file, as well as lots of jpg files. The jpeg files provide map tiles at five or six different resolutions. So to generate a map, you need a high resolution moon image at a resolution that can be nicely divided up into 640x640 tiles, say 10240x10240 or 5120x5120. Then you divide it up into tiles. Rescale to half size. Repeat until you resize to a single 640x640 tile. And then add a 320x320 tile.

The tile filenames start with "lib" if the image is "librated". This means that it was projected with a modified projection that adds 7 or so degrees of the other side of the moon, so you get coverage for libration. I can give you the formula I used for the projection.

If you want straight orthographic projection, then you just don't start the tile filenames with "lib".

There are some other pieces of information you can include in the index.txt file, such as indicating that it's a map of the farside.

If after looking at all this, you're still interested, let me know. I have all sorts of messy conversion code, too.

But if the source map is public domain (like the NASA / US government ones I use), you may just want to ask me to convert it for you and make it available in the next release.

#59 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 28 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

I've just uploaded version 1.20 to Google Play.

This has some significant optimizations which should make for a smoother (but still not perfect) experience.

Also, I've changed how the Lite version works. The Lite version now has available all the maps of the HD version. However, the Lite version watermarks the screen when you do more than 8X zoom. Previously, zooming past 8X resulted in simply blowing up the 8X image, i.e., pixelation. Now you have the full resolution map, with the annoying word "LITE" on top of it to encourage you to go for the HD version.

It might be a couple of hours before the new version shows up on Google Play.

If all works well, I'll upload to the Amazon Appstore in a day or so.

If you are a Lite user and you really like the previous Lite version (1.14), for at least a little while it's available here.

By the way, LunarMap works great with Bluestacks on a Windows 7 laptop.

#60 Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak

Apollo

• Loc: Northeast, Florida

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Hi arpruss,

I checked my Installed Apps on my Nexus 7 and the update was there. Updated without incident, fantastic app by the way.

peace & clear skies

#61 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:33 PM

Cool, I'll look for the update in a few days for my Kindle. I own the version 1.14, LunarMap HD already and love it.

#62 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 31 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

Cool, I'll look for the update in a few days for my Kindle. I own the version 1.14, LunarMap HD already and love it.

Amazon has approved and posted the update. Enjoy!

#63 Photobud

Photobud

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

Got! Thanks for the update, especially the hiding of zoom buttons since I never used them.

#64 dobsoscope

dobsoscope

Messenger

Posted 27 August 2013 - 02:21 AM

Are the maps downloaded directly into the SD cards in smartphones? (or would one need to shift them manually)?

#65 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 27 August 2013 - 07:03 AM

They are downloaded to whatever area the Operating System designates as external storage. On my S2, there is an internal SD card and an external SD card, and they go to the internal one.
One can't move them, I am afraid.

#66 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 11 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

I made a bunch of updates in 1.32.2. Is now up in Google Play and should be up in the Amazon Appstore tomorrow or the day after.

1. New Actionbar-based user interface, particularly nice for tablets. Easy icon for switching maps. (Currently you do lose your place. That's a leftover from how it used to work. I hope to fix that.)
2. Memory management improvements.

Unfortunately, the new version's ActionBar support requires Android 2.1. Rather than keep support for the very small number of users with older Android devices (which are likely too slow anyway for satisfactory use), I spun off the free LunarMap Classic, which has all the features of the old LunarMap HD, but is limited to Android 1.6 to 2.0. So if you have Android 1.6-2.0, just get LunarMap Classic. That won't get any feature updates, but if I find an easy bug fix, I may do it.

Attached Files

#67 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 12 December 2013 - 08:30 AM

Alexander:

Thanks.. I will download it asap..

Does it include the laser cloud blaster you were talking about?

Jon

#68 bluesteel

bluesteel

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: KILM

Posted 12 December 2013 - 11:25 AM

I have been using this app for over two months now, and this latest update has made scrolling when zoomed in all the way infinitely smoother. Very nice job! This is helping me a TON with locating features for the lunar observing program. Excellent job! I am using the app on a Nexus 10. Keep up the fantastic work!
Edit: The update also fixed a friend's Lunar Maps HD as well, in which on their phone the menu would disappear after displaying it the 1st time.

#69 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 26 December 2013 - 06:44 PM

I just posted 1.35. There are some minor fixes, but the main thing is that you can get a 20480x20480 resolution LRO orbiter map of the nearside. Just press the Folder button to choose the map, and select the LRO WAC hi-res map. The map is a separate 34mb download.

#70 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

My favorite Lunar app just got even better! The new map is excellent. I especially enjoy LunarMap while I'm using my MallinCam to observe the Moon.

About the only additional feature I'd like would be to have the unilluminated portion of the Moon dark. The current terminator 'line' is functional, but I'd rather have the dark portion covered either by a translucent or opaque mask to match the sky view.

If you enjoy observing the Moon and don't already have LunarMap, get it!

Don:usa:

#71 The Mighty Mo

The Mighty Mo

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: South of North, North of South, Somewhere on the 3rd Rock

Posted 26 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

The just download update and new LRO map waiting for Orion and Jupiter to rise. Very nice.

edit - after playing with it for a while on my Note 2, I'd really like to see what it looks like on a 10" tablet screen.

#72 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I have a new beta version. If you'd like to test it, email me at arpruss at gmail dot com, or PM me with your email address.

I'd ideally like beta testers who have been using the old version already, though new users are welcome. The new version has some additional optimizations that should make it faster and more responsive.

BUT the down side of the new version is that it requires a re-download of all the maps. Before forcing users to do that, I really want to make sure that the new version is better.

#73 arpruss

arpruss

• Vendors

Posted 10 January 2014 - 12:07 PM

I posted 1.40 to Google Play and Amazon Appstore. I've optimized memory usage and scrolling speed. The downside of the optimizations is that I had to change the map format, which means that you will need to re-download any maps you were using. (It will delete the old ones on startup.) The new maps take up slightly less space than the old ones, though. While I was at it, I added a 20480x20480 LRO map of the farside.

I had a user query me about a vertical reflection mode for SCT+diagonal users. That will be coming in the next release, but in the meanwhile any SCT+diagonal users can just set left-right reverse mode AND check "Southern hemisphere" in the options (or Northern, if you're in the South!)--that should have the same effect.

#74 dedo

dedo

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Italy, Rome

Posted 13 January 2014 - 05:54 AM

Very good job Alex, both with the higher resolution LRO map as well as with the optimizations. Pro version now runs considerably better on my Samsung Tab II.

Perhaps I have a little bug: with the USGS Geologic map, whenever i try to turn on the reference labels (second icon from left on the action bar which becames visible only if available on map itself) it crashes, while the map info button on the same map does nothing.

By the way, I've read only now your post about beta testers, and since I use it extensively since more than an year now, I will be glad to help you in the future just in case.

Andrea

#75 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 13 January 2014 - 08:05 PM

Alex, will the new version you refer to above have the ability to show the unilluminated proton of the Moon as dark (hopefully a dark translucent mask so the details are still visible)? That's about the only feature I miss.

Thanks!

Don:usa:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics