Photo

Simply the best hand controller on the planet!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#51 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 07 December 2011 - 10:38 PM

Jeff are you serious! :o I didn't even know that. That's fantastic!!!!!! It just keep getting better. BTW, if you go into Night Sky Observers Guide to all those really obscure catalogs, Sky Safari lists nearly every one of them. No hand controller does that.

#52 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:29 AM

I have tried some of the lesser known catalogs such as Haffner, Collinder, etc. In these cases the speech to text stumbles a bit - the spellings don't match the names exactly. Better off doing text entry for those.

Also, the abbreviations are hit or miss. For example, Haf 6 gets rendered as "Half six", which won't match the Sky Safari database. However, Mel 71 will prompt you to choose between Melbourne 71 and Melotte 71.

Overall, it's very good and the really large/bright catalogs (Messier, NGC, IC) render perfectly.

#53 Doug Culbertson

Doug Culbertson

Skylab

Posted 08 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

Does this mean you could also find carbon stars via speech to text? For example, just say "R Leporis", and it would find it? If so, I also see an iPad in my future. Sure would be easier than trying to download Excel sheets into my Sky Commander.

#54 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

Jeff

I have skysafari pro on my ipad...but cannot see how to make the speech to text function work.....

Can u help?

#55 bilgebay

bilgebay

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmaris

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

neither can I :(

#56 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

I tried and it was recognized as "Arlo Poras" or "Are LePore us".

Since the speech recognition is tied to US English, results will probably be hit or miss names that technical, or foreign (Arabic, Latin, etc.). It got "Regulus" and "Antares" perfectly, but Betelgeuse came back (predictably) as "Beetlejuice". It rendered Capella as "Kapalla". Phonetically close, but useless as a search string.

Part of the battle is knowing correct pronunciation. For a test of this (and a few laughs) try "Ophiuchus".

Interestingly enough, it gets the next planet after Saturn no matter how you say it :grin:

#57 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:38 PM

Jeff

I have skysafari pro on my ipad...but cannot see how to make the speech to text function work.....

Can u help?

I don't have an iPad, I'm using an iPhone 4s. Perhaps it's tied to Siri?

#58 HowardK

HowardK

Apollo

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:46 PM

Siri.......whats that?

#59 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

Siri.......whats that?

Siri is a feature on the new Iphone 4S that allows you to speak to the phone to find things you want and Siri can speak back to you. For example you can speak to text instead of actually texting.

#60 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Does this mean you could also find carbon stars via speech to text? For example, just say "R Leporis", and it would find it? If so, I also see an iPad in my future. Sure would be easier than trying to download Excel sheets into my Sky Commander.

Doug,

I can do even one better. PM me your email address and I actually have a list of about 50 carbon stars you can download right into sky safari. it's super easy to do. Anyone who wants the list just PM me your email and I'll send it out. When you go to "search" you will see the list called "carbon stars".

#61 oo_void

oo_void

Viking 1

• Loc: San Francisco, CA

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:34 PM

FYI, the app is half off until then end of the day today, 12/08/11.

#62 deSitter

deSitter

Still in Old School

• -----

Posted 11 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

You're looking at it! Nothing comes even remotely close to Sky Safari. For the first time ever, I have a tool that's powerful enough to engage almost every double star in Burnham's Celestial Handbook. My primary observing guide and Celestial Bible has been resurrected for the first time ever WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

I bow in humble acknowledgement of your unsurpassed Burnham foo - that is one beat up looking observing notebook :)

-drl

#63 Daniel Mounsey

Daniel Mounsey

Vendor (Woodland Hills)

• Vendors

Posted 11 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

You're looking at it! Nothing comes even remotely close to Sky Safari. For the first time ever, I have a tool that's powerful enough to engage almost every double star in Burnham's Celestial Handbook. My primary observing guide and Celestial Bible has been resurrected for the first time ever WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!. :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump:

I bow in humble acknowledgement of your unsurpassed Burnham foo - that is one beat up looking observing notebook :)

-drl

In that case I present to you, Burnham's Celestial Handbook. :imawake:

"What we have learnt Is like a handful of earth;
What we have yet to learn Is like the whole world....."

Attached Files

#64 jmiele

jmiele

Patron Saint?

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:06 PM

Dan,
A testament to their owners commitment. :) I'd say, make sure you get a good IPhone/IPad cover. :)

Joe

#65 Trombone

Trombone

Viking 1

• Loc: Canadian west (and north!)

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

The other item I would suggest for us cold weather observers is a tablet stylus so one can wear gloves/mittens and still control the iPad.

#66 wpappas53

wpappas53

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: The Villages, Fl

Posted 11 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Argo is still required, you set the Catalog to From Planeterium, if you don't it does not work.

#67 Rick R.

Rick R.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: center of known universe

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:43 AM

Hello All,

New to this forum and first new scope in decades! Also just got an iPhone 4s. I was clueless that Sky Safari existed. Wow! this thread has me pretty excited!

I am going to spend some time with my new scope's (CPC 9.25Edge HD) capacities and alignment procedures for a bit first, but I am very interested in being able to control this scope from the comfort of my home. We currently have our home set up with Apple routers for wireless connectivity. How can I set up my iPhone and or Mac laptop to wirelessly control my scope?

Sorry for the nube questions but this forum seems to have awesome tolerance for newbies and I am so pumped to finally own a good scope!

regards,
Rick R.

#68 OneDaveT

OneDaveT

Ranger 4

• Loc: IL, USA

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:30 PM

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the 4S and soon CPC925HD.
The device is called SkyFi by one manufacturer, or StarSeek if you buy it from Orion. It's a little box that plugs into the serial port on your CPC925HD (which would be at the bottom of the NexStar hand controller). The device sets up a WiFi adhoc network, which you would then connect to with your iPhone. Likely can connect wireless with your mac, but I just haven't tried it. The adhoc network is completely independent of your infrastruture mode home wifi network. This would let you control the scope from anywhere within range of the SkyFi device. I suppose in theory you could wireless transmit video from the scope, and then watch everything in your living room this winter.

enjoy,
Dave

#69 Rick R.

Rick R.

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: center of known universe

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:39 AM

Thanx much Dave. I am for sure going to set this scope up to send images back to the comfort of my home! I am also looking forward to simply being out under the night sky with family and friends. This is just the beginning of fulfilling a childhood dream and this forum has, in no small part, helped push me to do this. :bow:

#70 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 10 May 2013 - 04:35 PM

A year and a half later, I have had the chance to drive a ServoCAT dob with SkySafari and SkyFi.

Wow. After 30 plus years of star hopping, I don't want to be without this. One of my observing partners has had ServoCAT for years, but the Argo Navis interface didn't do a lot for me. But with SkySafari as the inteface, it's like going from an old command-line interface on your computer directly to OS X. And then there is the whole benefit of leaving 20+ pounds of charts at home.

Even with a slipping encoder on the first night out this thing is amazing. As the reticle drifted into the field, I could see the amount of error relative to the target on the screen of my iPad Mini. It was then a simple matter to use the ServoCAT directional buttons on the hand controller and watch the iPad screen to place the reticle on target and viola! The target was centered in the eyepiece.

With the Dob question settled, the question is what to do with my older non-GOTO Losmandy GM-8. Adding Gemini would be a pretty decent chunk of change ($1500). Realistically, I could liquidate the mount and AP refractor and build quite a first-class rich-field Newtonian with Zambuto and ServoCAT with money left over.

But I kind of do like the refractor presentation on double stars and wide-field. And one does not get rid of an AP refractor lightly. So if Gemini plays well with SkySafari, it would be the preferred option.

Are any Gemini owners using SkySafari? How is it working out for you?

#71 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 10 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Hi Jeff,

Your use with the servocat got me thinking.. can I use skysafari or the celestron skyq without the skyfi or celestron skyq link. Maybe through nexremote? As the Koolaid man would say... OH YA!!! Using open source code (google server_rs232.exe or share pc serial port over lan) I was able to share my nexremote virtual port over my lan and have skysafari link to my pc and control the mount. Skyq works too. I simply told the program to share com 9 (my nexremote virtual port) and use port 4020 to listen on. Skyq and skysafari use port 4030 (you can set the port in skysafari) to connect to your pc..

This also allows me to control the scope over the internet from anywhere with any planetarium program.

Thanks for making me brain storm real quick. I was getting a little sick and tired of using skysafari manually. I don't use the wifi dongles because they drop packets and don't have much error control between the tcp stack and the com stack. With this setup I can align with nexremote and if my ipad or iphone loses connectivity, i don't lose my alignment! :jump: :goodjob:

Tested on win7x64

I tested nexhub and tcp2ip (astrogeeks) nexhub works great. I can connect phd, skysafari, thesky, and maxim all at the same time to nexhub and have wifi mount control through the pc.. tcp2ip has some timeout issue that I will be working with the guys at astrogeeks to resolve. The opensouce program I used works with nexhub and works great.

Thanks again!

#72 microstar

microstar

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Canada

Posted 10 May 2013 - 09:22 PM

I just wish there was an option to connect it through a PC instead of a dedicated device, so I could run PHD and whatnot at the same time...

Here's another option for interfacing Sky Safari to your mount through your PC.

http://www.mainseque...re.com/WFS.html

Otherwise I use Splashtop to remotely view and control my PC desktop from my iPad.

...Keith

#73 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 10 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

This post was resurrected from the dead..

I believe RJ (jwaldo) wants to use it without the wifi adapter connected to the mount. That's just ip to serial emulator software. You can also use celestron skifi pc app for a free ip so serial emulation software.

I believe RJ (jwaldo) was looking at the way I bypassed the wifi device connected to the mount.

#74 MAURITS

MAURITS

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Belgium

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:44 AM

I use the Handheld Algiz 7 handcontroler with SkyTools3.

Posted Image

#75 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

This post was resurrected from the dead..

Guilty as charged.

I was looking through old threads to see if people were using SkySafari with Gemini and didn't find the answer (yet). I thought asking about it here may be more productive than starting a new thread, and an enjoyable retrospective.

Or perhaps not :(

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics