Photo

Simply the best hand controller on the planet!

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#76 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:06 PM

I use the android versiion of Skysafari. With this you can use a dirt cheap bluetooth to serial connector on the scope end and connect via bluetooth from any android device easily. Can't do this with an Ipad/Iphone...one reason I'm getting an android tablet.
cheers
Gary

#77 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

I use the android versiion of Skysafari. With this you can use a dirt cheap bluetooth to serial connector on the scope end and connect via bluetooth from any android device easily. Can't do this with an Ipad/Iphone...one reason I'm getting an android tablet.
cheers
Gary

Which "dirt cheap" bluetooth to serial adapter did you have success with?
I'm using a Google Nexus tablet and would like to get wireless control for my CG5-GT.

#78 Gary.McK

Gary.McK

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Geelong, Australia

Posted 11 May 2013 - 07:05 PM

Hi,
I initially tried a borrowed one from a friend that had a 100m range. This was about $40 on Ebay. Just had a look and couldn't see any currently listed. Hooked up first try.

I've just ordered one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/...&_trksid=p39...

See no reason why it should not work.

There is also a thread here:
http://www.iceinspac...hlight=bluet...

that might help

cheers
Gary

"Which "dirt cheap" bluetooth to serial adapter did you have success with?
I'm using a Google Nexus tablet and would like to get wireless control for my CG5-GT. "

#79 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Well, dirt cheap is fine, but not the greatest. I am not a big fan of blue tooth control. I love the wifi option. I can connect my telescope/skyfi to my home network and hence control the telescope anywhere outside or from inside the home. And with the home network, in theory I can control from anywhere in the world. At a remote site, I am obviously not controlling via the home network, but I can remotely control from a distance much farther than bluetooth. This is great especially for outreach events.

I avoid android tablets like the plague. Too many malware issues, and platform inconsistency issues. From a developer point of view we also avoid it due to the high piracy rate of software under the Android universe (up to 90%). Android users seem to steal software. Why, I do not know. Revenues are WAY higher under iOS vs Android. And our commercial customers only go with iOS.

One thing I am putting together is tying in a MacMini via SkyFi/SkySafari Pro to the telescope along with the MallinCam software. Then tying this all together via the AppleTV and displaying on the 65" home theater system, and soon larger screens in the observatory. Supplemental control via either the iPad or iPhone (or heck, iPod touch!). Users just love look at the star maps (or enlarging the view of objects), touching the iOS device, watching the telescope go to the object and then seeing everything on the TV screen.

Oh, in one lazy moment, I forgot to "park" my LX200. While reading in bed, I switched from the iBooks app to the SkySafari app, and commanded the telescope to move, watching the viewfinder automatically move. I know, totally lazy, but I loved it!

Anyways, I love the iOS devices - it just works. SkySafari/SkyFi, I love it!

#80 Taylor

Taylor

Viking 1

• Loc: Owasso, OK

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:00 PM

I avoid android tablets like the plague. Too many malware issues, and platform inconsistency issues. From a developer point of view we also avoid it due to the high piracy rate of software under the Android universe (up to 90%). Android users seem to steal software. Why, I do not know. Revenues are WAY higher under iOS vs Android. And our commercial customers only go with iOS.

Careful with that statement. I used to believe the same thing, until I tried the Google designed and Asus built Nexus. That bad boy is sweet.
Very fluid design, the software just works on it, just like iOS.
I've been using it in the backyard as my star chart with SkySafari and enjoyed every second of it.
It also doubles as my work tablet as I can wirelessly enter orders into the computer from anywhere, love it.
Now if we're talking third party designed Android tablets, then I would have to agree. Google needs to get a lockdown on some of the garbage hardware that is being released with their name on it. It is killing what could otherwise be a very successful tablet OS.

I think piracy is higher on Android because of the nature of the market. More power users and computer geeks will buy that than the iOS devices.
The majority of iOS users will never consider jailbreaking, but piracy is just as easy on iOS once jailbroken. Android still needs to be rooted in order to pirate. Anyways, off topic.

#81 Spacetravelerx

Spacetravelerx

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: New Mexico

Posted 11 May 2013 - 09:10 PM

Well, to get back on topic ;-)

I find the SkySafari/Skyfi combo quite a great kit. So easy to use, and the folks at outreach events find it very welcoming to the hobby.

Most amazing thing to me about it? It was able to work with a 22+ year old mount, 10" LX200, right out of the box with an up-to-date and modern iPad. That is impressive! Seamless integration of old and new.

Next up - when I will soon be testing SkySafari/Skyfi with the LX850. God, I hope I do not break anything!

#82 EFT

EFT

Vendor - Deep Space Products

• Vendors
  • Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:33 AM

I use the Handheld Algiz 7 handcontroler with SkyTools3.

Very nice, but wow is that thing expensive.

#83 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 12 May 2013 - 10:47 AM

This post was resurrected from the dead..

Guilty as charged.

I was looking through old threads to see if people were using SkySafari with Gemini and didn't find the answer (yet). I thought asking about it here may be more productive than starting a new thread, and an enjoyable retrospective.

Or perhaps not :(

Jeff,

Actually, I am using Sky Safari (with a SkyWire connection) with my Gemini I GM-8 and love it. :)

I also have DSC on my mount and the feedback loop is what sold me on this combo. After I have aligned, I can put the old Gemini hand paddle down and go with the iPad for everything else. Plus, if I want to loosen the clutches and move the scope by hand, the target on the iPad follows me and I don't lose alignment or anything.

This has basically returned my old Losmandy/Gemini from its exile in the basement and it's now as much fun to use this mount as it is to use my Mach 1.

Cheers,

Ron

#84 Starhawk

Starhawk

Space Ranger

• Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:36 AM

I've been using Skyfi with sky safari alternating between an iPod touch and an iPad mini on a CGEM and on an AP Mach 1. Besides being great in itself, it allows mounts with very different control concepts to be controlled the same way.

And Tim at Southern Stars even fixed a bug where sky safari used to send "Sync" to AP mounts instead of RCAL (collisions ensue) When I pointed it out. You can't beat that!

-Rich

#85 frito

frito

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Fremont, CA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 12:35 PM

sky safari is the best even if just used as a map with a manual dob but now that i've got a CG-5 coming you bet getting my tablet hooked up to the mount is going to be pretty high on my priority list :)

#86 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 12 May 2013 - 02:46 PM

The Main Sequence guys also have a program called WIFI scope that's free and does what you're asking.

#87 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 13 May 2013 - 09:00 AM

Actually, I am using Sky Safari (with a SkyWire connection) with my Gemini I GM-8 and love it. :)

I also have DSC on my mount and the feedback loop is what sold me on this combo. After I have aligned, I can put the old Gemini hand paddle down and go with the iPad for everything else. Plus, if I want to loosen the clutches and move the scope by hand, the target on the iPad follows me and I don't lose alignment or anything.

This has basically returned my old Losmandy/Gemini from its exile in the basement and it's now as much fun to use this mount as it is to use my Mach 1.

Cheers,

Ron

Thanks Ron! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now that you mention it, with the smaller scale of a German EQ (vs. a large Dob) a SkyWire would be just fine. This would allow me to leave the SkyFi permanently attached to the Dob.

#88 JMW

JMW

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:43 PM

I used WifiScope for the first time on Saturday night for several hours. I have a Windows 8 laptop running the ASCOM stuff connected to my AP900 mount. I launch WifiScope on the Windows 8 laptop. I used SkySafari on my iPad and later on my Macbook Pro to control the mount. I was using the GOTO and ALIGN buttons on SkySafari. The Astro-Physics ASCOM driver converts the SYNC request from the ALIGN button to RECAL request on the mount.

#89 wolfman_4_ever

wolfman_4_ever

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal

Posted 13 May 2013 - 05:39 PM

cheers
Gary

It works with an ipad/iphone. I have been using an wisnap for about a year now. You just need to know how to configure serial over bluetooth. About the same setup as seial over wifi. You just just use a com emulation app on the iphone... which means jailbreak.. which means I can not talk about this anymore.. :x

You could also use Arduino and bluetooth 4.0

#90 RAKing

RAKing

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: West of the D.C. Nebula

Posted 14 May 2013 - 05:50 AM

Thanks Ron! Exactly what I was hoping for. Now that you mention it, with the smaller scale of a German EQ (vs. a large Dob) a SkyWire would be just fine. This would allow me to leave the SkyFi permanently attached to the Dob.

Jeff,

I originally bought the SkyFi at NEAF in 2010, but didn't really know how to use it. Ninety nine percent of the time I am sitting within a couple feet of my scope and I eventually sent the SkyFi to a friend of mine who is far more Mac-literate and could actually use the doggone thing.

Then my wife won an iPad and we started learning to speak "Mac". I picked up the SkyWire and she downloaded Sky Safari just so we could see if it worked. It does. :)

I have a few pieces of Manfrotto gaffer gear (clamp and arms) that allow me to attach the iPad to my tripod and move it around easily. So I can sit close to my scope and still push my fingers around the iPad screen at the same time. Wireless might be nice, but it's not really necessary for me.

Cheers,

Ron

#91 payner

payner

Viking 1

• Loc: Bluegrass Region, Kentucky

Posted 14 May 2013 - 04:33 PM

Dave,
The only one on the list that's baffling is the Vixen SXW. I understand you have to use a router :(

I noticed on Dave's mount list the Vixen Star Book. I imagine that would be the selection to use with a "New Atlux," correct?

Best,
Randy

#92 Aquarist

Aquarist

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Illinois

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:22 PM

Does Sky Safari now work correctly with AP GTO mounts? Also, how difficult is it to set up the wireless version compared to a wired version (Ipad 4)? And thanks for resurrecting this thread!!!

#93 LLEEGE

LLEEGE

True Blue

• Loc: Cloud-chester,NY

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

I have used SS with my AP900 for over a year now. Never had a problem. Wasn't aware there were any issues with using it with the AP mounts.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics