The "Add positive comment to this article" thread

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

• Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome

Posted 28 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Here's an idea: Whenever we see an article about light pollution or outdoor lighting and there is a comments section, let's all add a positive comment to it, so that we are showing people in a given area that there are a lot of people who care about outdoor lighting. So when you find such an article, post it here, and everyone who reads this please post a positive comment to the article about reducing light pollution.

Here's one we can start with:

http://www.poconorec...0322/-1/NEWSMAP

#2 amicus sidera

amicus sidera

Skylab

• Loc: East of the Sun, West of the Moon...

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:33 PM

I think that this is a splendid idea! How would you propose the subject be approached? In my estimation, using the term "light pollution" may not come off well with the majority of people who are not amateur astronomers or environmentalists... perhaps it might be wiser to address this issue in term of "unwanted (or undesired) light", "light trespass" or "disability glare" (a term used by many state DOT's to signify light that interferes with the act of driving).

It might also be beneficial to mention (with references and links) those studies done that indicate 24-hour bright lighting disturbs the circadian rhythms in both man and animals.

Perhaps a pinned thread could be established here on this forum that could alert us to articles that need our, shall we say, "input"?

#3 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 28 November 2011 - 05:20 PM

I left a comment at the bottom of that article; I didn't even mention the term "light pollution." I just made some arguments against one of the "This is stupid" comments by pointing out good things about better lighting, and indicating this action taken was a positive development. Never hurts to add links to studies, if the comments section will allow links (some sites don't).

Just adding our our positive, constructive thoughts to put the "good" ideas out there to help combat some of the (and I use this term in the nicest possible way, seriously) ignorance surrounding outdoor, nighttime lighting issues should help others know that "darkness isn't bad or scary" or something that people fear. And if we can add more comments "for" than those "against," that can help sway public opinion.

May not be much, but if it takes us 2 minutes to add a short comment, at least it is some of us doing something.

#4 GeneT

GeneT

Ely Kid

• Loc: South Texas

Posted 28 November 2011 - 06:16 PM

Great idea!

#5 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:05 AM

Here's another article - please take 90 seconds to add a quick positive comment, or take a few minutes and read the article and post. But please post something good about better outdoor lighting - thanks!

http://www.theatlant...ight-stars/613/

#6 hfjacinto

hfjacinto

I think he's got it!

• Loc: Land of clouds and LP

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Posted!

#7 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 01:22 PM

Thanks Helder! :waytogo:

#8 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 01 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Excellent idea! I've added comments to both of the articles you cited. It's seems to be a better way to spend time than endlessly rehashing the relative merits/defects of SCTs, refractors, and reflectors which, of course, we all do for fun but doesn't improve viewing. Providing a few words of support to people and communities that are making an effort is a very positive step.

Geoff

#9 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:08 PM

Geoff, those were both great comments - thanks for taking a few minutes to add those! :bow:

#10 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2011 - 12:51 PM

http://www.thisisbri...tail/story.html

Great article about how turning lights off lowers crime. Many comments are emotionally based there now - please add some comments about positive "lights off" experiences so we can counter the non-factual, emotional comments there.

EDIT: Hmmm.. even when I make an account, for some reason I can't add a comment. Hopefully others will try and have better luck.

#11 RobbW

RobbW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, IL

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:51 PM

I have left positive comments on all articles linked in this thread so far. Thanks for the idea, David!

#12 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:56 PM

Thanks for adding your thoughts, Robb! Nice to see you around again too. :)

#13 RobbW

RobbW

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Elgin, IL

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:01 PM

I know. I've been out of the loop for awhile. I have things brewing that are taking my time, but I hope to jump into the action here and there as I can. Hopefully more so in the near future!

#14 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:51 AM

That was a good piece from Bristol, but the lead made me wince. Of course, reporters often try to hook readers with a clever or amusing opening, but doing so encourages some people to treat the story as a joke. I wish the editor had asked the writer to come up with something that didn't detract from the seriousness of the piece.

Chalk up another comment.

Geoff

#15 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:11 PM

Here's a fairly recent article - and one with no information at all about good lighting practices, only emotionally-based "I feel safer with lights" arguments - that is worth commenting on. You'll need to register, but given that this is a recent issue for Rockford, there will likely be more articles there in the future. We'll need to keep an eye on that paper and keep adding positive comments to these kinds of articles:

http://www.rrstar.co...ed-streetlights

#16 Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeastern Cal

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:32 PM

Post deleted by Mr. Bill....

:p

#17 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:48 PM

The point of the thread is not about passively reading positive stories; rather it is to actively post relevant, factual, positive information to news stories online where there are a LOT of comments that are negative about light pollution, night-time lighting, and other outdoor lighting issues. If we can counter a lot of the negative comments at the end of such articles, we can positively influence other readers with statistically accurate information about the benefits of dark skies and better lighting.

And that's part of the problem - IDA doesn't have in place the tools needed TO counter the emotionally-based comments (or sometimes even articles themselves). So that's why I set up this thread - for others to post the stories when they appear, and for ALL of us to take a couple minutes and add a positive comment about better lighting practices.

#18 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:53 PM

Here's a great article to which we should add positive comments. Please take 60 seconds to add something positive to this.

http://www.r3magazin...ht/#comment-172

#19 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

This is a great idea. Having just trawled around some of the articles the first sense you get is the positive comments and educational material thats been linked in.

This approach is well worth keeping up. I'm going to collect some factual info from the UK relighting programs and link this in to these threads too

#20 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 07 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

Tonk, that would be most helpful, that way we can all access those in one spot for these article quickly.

#21 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:41 PM

RobbW, I liked your comment on the article in the Rockford Register Star. Excellent job of countering the crime issue with facts and references delivered in a friendly dispassionate style. Bravo!

A city that premium refractor enthusiasts probably consider sacred, Rockford certainly ought be a leader in the reduction of light pollution.

Geoff

#22 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

Have a look at the excellent set of responses to a report on The Energy Saving Trust's (an independent energy conservation organization in the UK) blog:

http://energysavingt...social-housing/

Many of these comments appear to be coming from Stargazer's Lounge members. Bravo!

Geoff

#23 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:35 AM

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

#24 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----

Posted 18 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

Geoff, I added a comment - I wonder if this is the same article Tonk linked to in another thread, as I was unable to see comments from that link, but it appears to be the identical article.

Sorry for the redundancy, it is the same article. I should have checked other threads first.

Geoff

#25 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:04 PM

No, it's okay - I didn't see a comments section in the other one. Maybe my browser doesn't display them...???

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics