• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#76 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:38 PM

Tom, thanks for sharing that one too. The comments are very negative towards this.

#77 csrlice12

csrlice12

Voyager 1

• Loc: Denver, CO

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:43 PM

I just submitted my comment regarding the Open Air project. This project makes me livid. The motto of Knight Arts, "witnessing the transformational power of the arts" couldn't be more ironic since Open Air celebrates waste and distain for the environment. What on earth is transformational about that? If Open Air represents the sort of artistic statement of which they approve, then perhaps their motto should be "the power of the arts to reinforce the status quo".

Geoff

Just gave them my 2 cents worth about their "art".

#78 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 25 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Here's an article desperately in need of some facts and positive reinforcement comments:

http://www.nwitimes....b50697ab2b.html

Need to register, but it's easy and takes about 30 seconds.

#79 TOM O

TOM O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Joshua Tree CA.

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:22 AM

Thanks, Dave. I posted....

#80 TOM O

TOM O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Joshua Tree CA.

Posted 29 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

from my other post...

Forgive me if I am purposing something already suggested, but I didn't do a lot of research to see if this was already ongoing. If it is, I'd like to see a little about it.

Since the formation of this light pollution activist group, and excluding being involved myself, the others involved continue to dedicate themselves to the cause of changing the course of bad light use and the waste of energy and money that goes with it. I have encouraged them to join IDA, but do not know if they have, as I am only an advisory participant. They run the show. I know money is a big issue in what they do and suspect most of these small groups have money troubles. They certainly do put in the time, however.

I wanted to take a moment and share a bit about these fellow caring folk, who are not astronomers. They like astronomy and a couple have a scope, but they are regular community members and neighbors of mine who just love the night sky as it is supposed to be.

As Dave Fuller points out in his thread about leaving a positive comment, I felt like there is good sense to his idea! So, here is a link to the website this group produced. Though our astronomy group is listed, we had nothing to do with creating or maintaining this site. I see that continues to grow and improve every time I visit it.

Perhaps, there are other groups doing similar efforts, and perhaps a kind note of appreciation would encourage them to keep up the great work they do?
With that, I wonder if anyone can add to this and help build a list that creates a larger "alliance"? Maybe it will be a small way to thank those who are doing what they can to bring dark skies?

Respectfully, Tom

http://www.mbdarkski....org/index.html

#81 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

LA Times - that's a big deal. Please add your positive contributions to this OpEd piece:

http://www.latimes.c...ht-sky-20121221,0,4632467.story

Thanks!

#82 barasits

barasits

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Chicago

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Here's the repaired link to the LA Times oped that Dave referred to:

LA Times article link

Geoff

#83 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:12 PM

Oops! Thanks Geoff - I didn't see the link was broken after I posted.

#84 Dark Sky Scott

Dark Sky Scott

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tucson, Arizona

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

From Bloomberg:
"Turn Down the City Lights and Make Streets Safer"
http://www.bloomberg...s-and-make-s...

#85 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 25 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

Scott, I couldn't figure out how to add a comment to that particular oped. I registered with the site and everything, and when I'd click on the "comments" link, it just took me to the bottom of the page. I didn't see a "post a comment" button though.

#86 Tonk

Tonk

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Leeds, UK, 54N

Posted 26 February 2013 - 03:16 AM

From Paris pioneers light pollution reduction

“Lighting has a social role, it serves as a reference point,” said Elise Bourmeau, vice-president of the Lighting Union. “We will adapt. But truly, there are solutions that would allow us to keep [lights] on in an energy efficient way.”

This is someone who has totally missed the ecological point or has too much of a vested interest to care

#87 magic612

magic612

Soyuz

Posted 24 March 2013 - 09:08 AM

http://sagharboronli...r-dark-skies...

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics