Help old Orion Starshoot Deep Space Color Camera 1

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bartine

bartine

Apollo

• Loc: Potomac, MD

Posted 01 December 2011 - 02:49 PM

I just got a used Orion Starshoot deep space color imaging camera with a set of gear. This is an older model - all black, original model.

It didn't come with anything but the camera body - no driver disk, no cable, no power supply.

It doesn't appear this older camera has a lot of value, but I would really love to play with it.
My computer is running Windows 7 64bit version. What can I do to get this thing running? I had a cable that appears to fit the camera body, and an old power supply that appears to fit. When I connect to my laptop, I get an error for "no driver located".

I downloaded a demo of Maxim, and they had a legacy driver, but I coudn't get that to work either.

How can I tell if the camera is good? Any way to get a copy of the original driver CD?

Thanks for any help or advice...

Ben

#2 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 01 December 2011 - 03:53 PM

I do not think the original Starshoot will run with Windows 7. I think it is fairly similar in design to the Meade DSI which definitely doesn't have a driver for Windows Vista or 7. I can get my original DSI to work on my old XP laptop but not my Windows 7 laptop.

On the Orion site, they've got 64-bit drivers for the Starshoot V2.0, but nothing at all for the original camera. I think the Starshoot driver just can't run on a 64-bit OS even in a compatibility mode.

Maybe you can scare up someone's 32-bit XP laptop and try it on that with the "legacy driver". You also have nothing to lose by contacting Orion and see if they can give you any help or a copy of whatever driver they may still have. Also, someone on the forum may be able to email you a copy of the actual driver. But I still think you'll need good old XP box to make it work.

Good luck.

#3 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 01 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

Meade does have new drivers for the DSI on their web site. I'm running Vista on one of my imaging computers without any problems. As for the Orion camera you might see if Nebulosity (Stark Labs) would work.

#4 Larry F

Larry F

Vanguard

• Loc: Westchester, NY

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:12 PM

Yes, I stand corrected. Downloading the latest version of Envisage seems to have loaded a driver for my original DSI (on a Windows 7 Starter Edition netbook). There's no W7-compatible driver for the original LPI in that upgrade, however.

#5 Stew57

Stew57

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Silsbee Texas

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:38 PM

I have vista and am using a meade dsi and lpi. I had found a post somewhere on how to make some registry changes to get the LPI to work.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

Voyager 1

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

True. At work we run our LPIs under native XP or XP running under Windows 7/VM. If they ever die we'll probably replace them with Imaging Source cameras.

#7 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:56 PM

Ben,

Unfortunately Microsoft's Vista and Win7 have made a lot of old hardware obsolete by changing the device driver framework. Some call it the progress (or stimulate economy). This pattern has never changed since MS-DOS.

It took more than a year (probably two) for Meade to create the Win7 drivers for its "old" hardware, after many complained. Will other vendors do the same? Many tried not to. Users calling their support lines may change their mind, but who knows.

The work around, as John said, is to run a copy of WinXP virtual machine within a virtualized environment (e.g., VMware Player which is free). However, you still have to find the software key to activate the WinXP itself, even it's just a virtual machine.) <-- unless you have Win7 Pro/Ultimate

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#8 LoveChina61

LoveChina61

Viking 1

Posted 03 December 2011 - 06:48 PM

You can download the freeware program Craterlet HERE. It works on all versions of Windows. One of the default camera choices is the Orion Starshoot. I also select the Orion Starshoot option when using my Meade LPI and it works great.

Here is a simple description I wrote up on how to use the program:

Setting the exposure length is a little tricky but doable. I use the Craterlet software program. When I plug in the camera it recognizes it as the Orion Starshoot which is okay. Proceed to "options" to set camera choices. I don't touch the brightness, etc although I have heard of others adjusting the brightness and contrast up slightly and the Gain up real high when taking a video of Saturn.
Click on the other tab and you will see Exposure with a check mark to the right. Uncheck it. You can use your mouse to grab the tiny scaler-box and slide it along the exposure scale. However, it will only show you increments of about 120 between each exposure point so put your mouse onto the scale line but about 1/8" to the side of the tiny scaler-box (the tiny box that sits upon the scale line. You can grab hold of it with your mouse pointer and slide it back and forth along the scale line to adjust the exposure). Begin clicking and you will see the scaler-box moves along the scale line in tiny increments towards where you have placed the mouse pointer. I find it is easier to make it move towards the right in tiny increments instead of towards the left. Watch the Craterlet view screen until you see that the planet (for example) is not all washed out in white but instead shows some detail. For example, with Saturn you should be able to see the ring clearly and even some of the open space between the ring (if the ring is tilted at an angle this time of season). For Mars, try to make sure you can see some splotchy dark patches (albeit very faint) which are the dark areas on Mars surface.
After you have set the exposure where you want it, do click on Apply but do NOT close the exposure box by clicking on Okay. If you do, it acts tweaky and the exposure might just jump right back to where it was before you began any of your adjustments. Leave this exposure box open during your entire filming process. Click Capture Video to begin filming. You can use your mouse to scoot the exposure setting window off to the side but don't close it.

#9 ccs_hello

ccs_hello

Fly Me to the Moon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

StarShoot DSCI is different than SSCI. SSCI is a CMOS webcam-like device and using WDM driver which is easy. DSCI is an astroCCD imager which requires special drivers.

Clear Skies!

ccs_hello

#10 JeffMiles

JeffMiles

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Ruby, Louisiana

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:40 PM

Ok. Lets follow up on this thread... Have Orion Color DSI but driver disk has crack in it... running Windows
Vista 32bit. Any ideas where to get drivers/replacement disk? Orion doesn't seem to want to reply to my request.
Thanks,
Jeffrey

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics