Bushnell 6" f/8 Dob - It's better than you think

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• Loc: 51°N (Belgium)

Posted 04 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

Review of Bushnell 6" f/8 Dob - It's better than you think! Read on...

By Jim Brant.

#2 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 04 December 2011 - 05:05 PM

Our astronomy club has selected this scope for our annual young stronomers program that awards 6 inch Dobs to deserving youngsters. We bought one and tested it our and liked it. We were going to buy 5 more. Now we find that it is no longer available for purchase.

#3 stevetaylor199

stevetaylor199

Ranger 4

• Loc: SE Wisconsin

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:29 PM

Our astronomy club has selected this scope for our annual young stronomers program that awards 6 inch Dobs to deserving youngsters. We bought one and tested it our and liked it. We were going to buy 5 more. Now we find that it is no longer available for purchase.

That does sound disappointing. I see they have a form for submitting product requests; perhaps they'll consider restocking it.

Considering it's on the order of half the price of the 8" (GSO) Dobs, I wonder if the margins were just too thin to make it worthwhile to stock the 6". Or, perhaps Bushnell lost interest in it; I see the only offering they have now at OpticsPlanet is a 5" model I haven't seen elsewhere.

Is this 6" of Synta or GSO origins? I'm a little unclear at the moment where Sky Watcher sources its Dobs. I understand that Orion brands Synta scopes, and their XT6 Dob base doesn't look anything like that of this Bushnell. (Too bad Orion's XT6 is nearly 50% more expensive than our reviewer's Bushnell 6"!)

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics