• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Donald6887

Donald6887

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Elk Grove, Ca.

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:13 AM

I've noticed that some of the Mallincam set-ups on SCT's (fork base)use diagonals while others do not, what would be the preferance? Will the camera / focal reducer / wires clear the base when using a diagonal?

#2 biomedchad

biomedchad

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Marion, Ohio

Posted 08 December 2011 - 01:19 PM

many things contribute to how the mallincam is attached. focal reducers and barlows will move the focus point around so you can use diagonals and such to adjust for that. some prefer the diagonal for cable management or the fact that without the diagonal the mallincam and cables sticking straight out will not clear the base of the fork mount.

#3 Lorence

Lorence

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 08 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have a 10" Meade LX200. My camera is mounted directly to the back of the Meade to get the widest field of view possible. Using a diagonal will result in a slightly smaller field of view.

I bought a few parts from ScopeStuff to mount the camera/focal reducer as close to the telescope as possible. With right angle connectors on all the cables the camera will clear the base of the mount and allow the telescope to slew to 90 deg. in Dec.

http://www.mts.net/~...bservatory.html

#4 Digital Don

Digital Don

Vanguard

• Loc: Manteno, IL

Posted 08 December 2011 - 11:31 PM

I installed a FeatherTouch Crayford focuser on my CPC 1100 because of image shift with the stock focuser. Because of this, I have to use a diagonal for my MallinCam to clear the base.

If it wasn't for the external focuser though, I would not use use a diagonal to gain a little extra field of view.

Don :usa:

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics