Photo

Orion Skyview AZ Head on an Atlas Tripod?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Boston

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

How can an Orion Skyview AZ Alt-Az mount head be mounted to an Orion Atlas tripod?...

What would be the best way of attaching a Losmandy dovetail to the smaller vixen saddle?... Should I use one of these: http://www.telescope...c/38/p/7952.uts

I am thinking of a versatile system using one tripod with 2 mounts: one GoTo and one Alt-Az. This way I can eliminate clutter by having one less tripod to carry in the car.

Thanks.

#2 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

• Loc: Puerto Rico, US

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

Hello,

I am not sure is an ready-to-use adapter for that... The Skyview sits on CG-5,CG-4, Sirius, or SVP type tripods, and the Atlas is larger... I fortunately don't have that problem because my GEM is a Sirius so I use the same tripod for both.

#3 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:32 AM

I know this is an old thread, but... I will bring it back to life!

I have used my Sirius EQ-G with the Atlas tripod without any adapters, so the SkyView AZ should have no problem.

#4 AlBoning

AlBoning

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:46 PM

If one had the pier extensions for both the SVP and Atlas, and since the pier mounting hardware is interchangeable between the piers, then one could mount the SVP to either pier and then to either tripod.

#5 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:13 PM

Thank you, Gustavo and Al! Unfortunately, Orion no longer makes any alt-az mounts that are worth a damn. The last Skyview AZ was sold within hours of the last response of this thread. I may have to go with a Canadian Telescope Duo T mount now.

#6 Jan Owen

Jan Owen

Apollo

• Loc: Sun City West, Arizona

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:23 PM

As has been said, if you have both the Orion pier extensions, you now have the adapter plates necessary. I have an Atlas EQ-G, and SVP, and a SV AZ, and with those two pier extensions, I can do about anything that uses any of the parts of these three mounts in combination... I have the SV AZ on my Atlas tripod right now...

If I really wanted to do something crazy, I can put the Atlas mount on the SVP tripod (I've done it just to hold the mount when I was doing something else). And I can also put my SVP mount on my Atlas tripod (when the SV AZ isn't on it...

Attached Files

#7 gustavo_sanchez

gustavo_sanchez

Messenger

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Hello Jan,

I have used my SkyView AZ on a CG-5 tripod (which I assume is the same as the Atlas) without any adapters. Head to tripod directly. I don't think that the pier extensions joints are needed.

#8 10gauge

10gauge

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

Thank you, Jan. Right after your sage advice, Orion stopped making the Skyview AZ mount. I haven't been able to find one since. I've been looking at a Canadian Telescope Duo T as a substitute.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics