Photo

The "Spacer" for Losmandy G11: Downside?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dawziecat

dawziecat

Vanguard

• Loc: Rural Nova Scotia

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

I have seen some of this spacer for losmandy mounts in the forum. Is anyone actually using it?

It seems like a good thing. Would maximize imaging time before doing a flip and eliminate the possibility of the mount clobbering the motor.

Is there a reason NOT to do this? :question:

#2 jrbarnett

jrbarnett

Eyepiece Hooligan

• Loc: Petaluma, CA

Posted 19 December 2011 - 01:49 PM

Looks quite clever, actually, and stiff.

I'd wonder how it shifts the balance of the mount + scope. (Does it make it "tippy" by taking the load off of the tripod's centerline?)

Pretty clever though for cross-meridian imaging.

- Jim

#3 Hilmi

Hilmi

Soyuz

• Loc: Muscat, Sultanate of Oman

Posted 19 December 2011 - 02:13 PM

I read here on cloudy nights from another discussion that the needle bearings get overloaded reducing their life span.

#4 Bart

Bart

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Somewhere near Charlottesville, VA

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:55 AM

- Jim

I understand imaging, but could you explain what cross-meridian is and why it's a concern?

Thanks

#5 TxStars

TxStars

Apollo

• Loc: Lost In Space

Posted 08 January 2012 - 10:01 AM

The spacer will allow you to image for a longer time by keeping the motor from hitting. (Just have to watch where the scope is going to hit.)
This spacer is best when used with a pier.
Yes the front R.A. bearing in the mount will wear faster as the weight is shifted out more, but you can get a spare one for later.

#6 drksky

drksky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bloomington, IL

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

- Jim

I understand imaging, but could you explain what cross-meridian is and why it's a concern?

Thanks

Meaning you can start with the scope "under" the mount and continue uninterrupted from east to west and not have to do a meridian flip. You're still limited by the length of your OTA though, I believe.

#7 fmhill

fmhill

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Cape Cod, Massachusetts, USA

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:42 PM

I'm looking for information on spacers or pier/tripod extensions for a Losmandy G11 on the Losmandy fixed leg tripod.

I image with a Explore Scientific ES127 ED/APO refractor withe a Canon EOS 60Da camera. Unfortunately this scope/camera combination is long enough that when imaging near the zenith, the camera hits the tripod legs before the meridian is reached.

I tried the link in the top post in this thread however it is not current.

I need to find a solution to raising the OTA 2" to 4" or higher above the tripod legs to keep the camera from hitting them. A 6" pier type extension would be ideal however a spacer for the Dec bearing housing would work I believe...

Any information would help.

Thanks,
Mitch...

#8 Joe C

Joe C

Ranger 4

• Moderators

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:56 AM

I used a 45mm spacer on my G11 with a TMB130SS and a 80mm WO as a guide scope. I had a ST-8300 with filter wheel for a camera. To raise the mount above the tripod as to allow the OTA to clear the legs, a 12" riser is needed.

Astronomics Losmandy Riser

For the 45mm spacer, as stated previously, it allows for the DEC gear housing to clear the RA motor and gearbox housing. That allows for DEC to be moved 360 degrees when the scope clears the north side of the tripod.

I did not notice any changes in the mounts stability on a permanent pier or on the tripod. With the Ovision gear installed, I recorded +-6 PE prior to the spacer being added and after adding it.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics