Stephan's Quintet

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Bill Weir

Bill Weir

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Metchosin (Victoria), Canada

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:28 AM

I am trying with a 16 inch f4.5 Dob from just on the fringe of a yellow to green zone.

jake

Then it should be easy if you are in the correct spot. I'm guessing you aren't quite looking in the proper spot or with too low magnification.

I'm guessing my back yard has similar conditions to where you describe and I can detect a distortion to the spot with my 6" and it's a piece of cake with my 12.5". Once from 6000' at the Mt Kobau Star Party I could just detect the clump with my ED 80. It's about knowing the field or having a good chart.

Bill

#27 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL.

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:31 AM

While I can SEE Stephan's Quintet most any clear night at Chiefland Astronomy Village...bringing out any DETAIL still requires excellent transparency - even with a 28" scope...and CAV is in a dark blue region.

Once in a while we get a really special night and I was lucky enough to be looking at the Quintet there 3 years ago when we had just that -
a truly dark sky with absolutely perfect transparency!
I also found that the electronic gods had smiled upon my endeavor and the big scope was tracking solidly so I put my Mallincam in the focuser and the resulting image is here:

http://groups.yahoo....ount=20&dir=asc

This is a single frame. Actually a hand-held digital camera snapshot of my 9" monitor screen. The iteration time is 56".

I've never been able to duplicate this. It goes to show what others have said. Seeing conditions are everything. I've even experienced nights when the Horsehead is totally invisible even with a 28" scope and Hb filter!
If the sky background is brighter that the object you're looking for, you won't see it with ANY sized telescope.

On the other hand - the BEST "eyepiece view" I've ever had of the HH was with a 10" Teleport! It was PERFECT....for about 10 minutes!
15 minutes later it was totally invisible, although the sky didn't LOOK any less-transparent.
As with the detail in Stephans' Quintet...I have never again seen the HH that beautifully, even with 4X the aperture!

Mike Harvey

#28 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 29 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Sorry, I am not a member so I could not see the photo.

#29 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

What an image, Mike! Is that a single 56-second exposure, or a stack?

Jeff.

#30 Mike Harvey

Mike Harvey

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Orlando, FL.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:08 PM

Single 56". And that's just a hand-held snapshot of the monitor screen! The real-time on-screen image was better!
Mike

Mike

#31 Jeff Young

Jeff Young

Aurora

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 31 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

... The real-time on-screen image was better! ....

Sweet! What a night that must have been.

Chers,
Jeff.

#32 John_G

John_G

Messenger

• -----

Posted 15 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

I had some excellent conditions last night from Bortle 3 locale. At around 1:30 I took a look and found NGC 7320 with my 200mm and ES 6.7mm/149x. Wearing my observing vest and tracking along for several minutes, eventually I could see it. Elongated and broad.

#33 stevecoe

stevecoe

"Astronomical Tourist"

• Loc: Arizona, USA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 10:05 PM

John, et al;

NGC 7320 is the galaxy in the group that we call "Big Mushy" it appears as the largest galaxy in Stephan's Quintet and has a mediocre surface brightness. All the other galaxies need 150X and up to make them stand out well.

Clear skies to us all;
Steve Coe

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics