Posted 11 November 2012 - 04:48 PM

How well does it work, then????

Best,
Mark

#102 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

I have only used it one time I have some mechanical tweaking to do it focuses very nice . Just like using the newt . I need to do a mounting but the optical train is done . Very happy to see it focus

#103 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:49 PM

Took this pic with my cell phone with the 17inch chief :jump:

Attached Files

#104 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

Making the top box took help first Mike gave us the zemax numbers then Dave O put them in oslo and in a 3d drawing .That my CNC water jet could make a file . Any mistake it would be hard to find . My goal was make everything on the top correct and not move it ever . Mike used the real numbers off my finished optics for the final distances and tilt and de center info. Dave O putting it in OSLO was great as it proved the first numbers were good . Having a working 20 f8 chief for 3.5 years I was sure the design would be easy to setup and it is . When you have a working one no one can tell me they do not work .The 17 Wide Band CHief is not much different than the 20 that ED designed . Only the corrector and secondary is fixed . EDs way of setting the mirrors is very powerfull and why the chief works .Be great if ED Mike or Dave would explain the design

#105 Dave O

Dave O

Ranger 4

• Loc: Sri Lanka

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:30 PM

lol -- I'll leave any 'explaining of the design' up to the Jones's and other optics experts ... I simply crunched numbers that were provided by Mike. Yes, verifying the numbers in OSLO was one way to help eliminate errors (and allow you and others to play with the design); but my OSLO skills are not sufficient to optimize this design to the level that Ed and Mike are capable of using ZEMAX.

Your idea of 'fixing' all the elements in the 'top box'; effectively reducing the number of variables to overcome in aligning the optics worked beyond my expectations ... putting it together and getting an image on the first go was a welcome surprise!

Looking forward to any further modifications in the mechanical portion of the design, as you continue to tweak it for optimal performance. Thanks for sharing.

#106 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:50 PM

Dave your work was great .With out it I would have failed . I owe you and Mike . Thanks

#107 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:38 AM

Took a risk as none of the optics had any value except for this CHief and if one mistake came up I would have little chance to find it out . So it was all or nothing .Sure glad it was all good .

#108 kfrederick

kfrederick

Gemini

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

Jupiter last night was very clear, in the 17 inch offaxis setup took 5 min It has the depth of focus of a f9 newt . Very happy with it .

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics