Photo

Classic Telescopes appearances in movies.

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Oliveira

Oliveira

Sputnik

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:46 PM

I have just watched that old (1966) Jerry Lewis movie "Way... Way out" and thought about how often we see telescopes appearing in movies. I can remember some scenes, but, I think have never seen a questar performing as a punch device, like Anita Ekberg came up with. Well in a Jerry's movie, everything is possible!
Take a look at: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pgh5kHqTjh0
By the way, could one say which is the other telescope in the scene? A short refractor?
I take this opportunity to wish you a Great New Year for all.
Clear optics and dark sky! :grin:

#2 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

A very nice observatory Cassegrain(?) with a decent size refractor piggyback on it:

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=J88vLOdxFBY

-Tim.

#3 Mike E.

Mike E.

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Moonstone Observatory

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

I have just watched that old (1966) Jerry Lewis movie "Way... Way out" and thought about how often we see telescopes appearing in movies. I can remember some scenes, but, I think have never seen a questar performing as a punch device, like Anita Ekberg came up with. Well in a Jerry's movie, everything is possible!
Take a look at: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=pgh5kHqTjh0
By the way, could one say which is the other telescope in the scene? A short refractor?
I take this opportunity to wish you a Great New Year for all.
Clear optics and dark sky! :grin:

I believe thats Constance Ingolia, aka Connie Stevens.

#4 rmollise

rmollise

Hubble

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

You might enjoy my blog article from some time back:

http://uncle-rods.bl...es-n-stars.html

#5 ams

ams

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fremont, CA.

Posted 30 December 2011 - 12:59 AM

Never Say Never Again ( 1983 )
James Bond looking into telescope and look like a Celestron modified.

At this link you can download the scene of the telescope:
http://alag3.mfa.kfki.hu/astro/Movies/

#6 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 30 December 2011 - 04:08 AM

Not sure if anyone remembers the Old Dennis The Menace sit com from the late 1950's thru early 60's and Good Ole Mr Wilson. Well one episode Dennis was shooting some space age blast toy while Mr Wilson was trying out his brand new refractor telescope in the back yard and thought he discovered some sort of UFO. It was a grand looking scope, remember it being a white tube on an Eq mount, must have been a Unitron, it was at least 80mm obj or larger. I can picture it in my mind. Wish I can locate that episode. Bob

#7 BDS316

BDS316

Vanguard

• -----
  • Loc: Sol 3

Posted 30 December 2011 - 06:33 AM

In the classic "My Tutor" Bobby(?) wanted to go to UCLA and major in astronomy and had a big eq refractor.

In "10" Dudley Moore and Julie Andrews looked at each other with refractors

In "Star Trek first contact" Cochrane had a modified schmidt cass.

#8 Oliveira

Oliveira

Sputnik

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:47 AM

Well, I can remember some other "telescope movies" (sorry, but not listed in chronological sequence):

The Mechanic - Charles Bronson - Questar.
Silent Runnning - Bruce Dern - Early Celestron Orange C8.
I Dream of Jeannie (series) - Nelson's loft - A 3" refractor.
Roxane - Steve Martin - Daryl Hannah's Newtonian reflector.
Armageddon - Bruce Willis - Unknown telescope (in fact i have not watched this whole movie).
Beach Party (1963) - Frankie Avalon/Anette Funicello - Robert Cummings terrestrial refractor (Tasco VTE55?).

#9 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

Guys, just a reminder, no direct pictures of movie scenes, URL links are permitted.
Brian

#10 Brian Risley

Brian Risley

Mercury-Atlas

• Moderators
  • Loc: SW Florida

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

Don't forget Close Encounters with a big orange tube and Sabrina, the teenage witch show used a Celestron in multiple episodes.
Brian

#11 1stScope

1stScope

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:38 PM

Eiger Sanction - Looks like maybe a white tubed Tasco.

#12 Goodchild

Goodchild

Viking 1

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:05 PM

Wow, you guys are good!

#13 sgorton99

sgorton99

Gemini

• Loc: Wisconsin, Madison

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:05 PM

Not sure if anyone remembers the Old Dennis The Menace sit com from the late 1950's thru early 60's and Good Ole Mr Wilson. Well one episode Dennis was shooting some space age blast toy while Mr Wilson was trying out his brand new refractor telescope in the back yard and thought he discovered some sort of UFO. It was a grand looking scope, remember it being a white tube on an Eq mount, must have been a Unitron, it was at least 80mm obj or larger. I can picture it in my mind. Wish I can locate that episode. Bob

This one - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0557946/

#14 Vesper818

Vesper818

Astronomess

• Loc: near the edge

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:28 AM

Mr Wilson let Dennis point what looks like a 4 " Unitron at the sun, with no visible filter! :bigshock:
Spittin' image of Preston's Dad's scope.
Here's your episode...

#15 bob midiri

bob midiri

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: pa 19320

Posted 31 December 2011 - 05:22 AM

i guess ill just have to buy that episode from amazon. I remember seeing that episode as a kid, and I was envious of his telescope.

#16 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

• Loc: Chicagoland

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:31 AM

In Star Trek's "First Contact" my hero Zephram Cochran has what looks like a C8 or C11 with a truss extension added to it to make it look cool.

http://www.trollandt...om/p202537.html

Zephram Cochran where are you!!!

#17 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:42 AM

Cool Movie.

It looks like my future home observatory! :roflmao: :lol:

Since when do Astromoners where lab coats?

#18 Napersky

Napersky

Vanguard

Posted 31 December 2011 - 07:48 AM

A couple of the later Sci-fi channel's meteor and asteroid disaster movies have telescopes in them but not classics.

#19 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:34 AM

Well, I can remember some other "telescope movies" (sorry, but not listed in chronological sequence):

The Mechanic - Charles Bronson - Questar.
Silent Runnning - Bruce Dern - Early Celestron Orange C8.
I Dream of Jeannie (series) - Nelson's loft - A 3" refractor.
Roxane - Steve Martin - Daryl Hannah's Newtonian reflector.
Armageddon - Bruce Willis - Unknown telescope (in fact i have not watched this whole movie).
Beach Party (1963) - Frankie Avalon/Anette Funicello - Robert Cummings terrestrial refractor (Tasco VTE55?).

I saw "The Mechanic" again just a couple weeks ago. Interesting that they have Mr. Bronson looking through the "back end" of the Questar. Like it was a refractor.

#20 Fred Ley

Fred Ley

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Lancaster,CA(Athens,GR)

Posted 31 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

The telescope in "First Contact" was indeed a Meade Schmidt Cassegrain telescope.

Also, in the 1986 movie "Invaders From Mars" there is a 3-inch folded Unitron refractor in the boys bedroom.

#21 tim53

tim53

Cosmos

• Loc: Highland Park, CA

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:59 AM

The gods must be crazy had a newt of some kind being used to count wildlife in Africa.

Tim

#22 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 31 December 2011 - 03:48 PM

The telescope in "First Contact" was indeed a Meade Schmidt Cassegrain telescope.

Also, in the 1986 movie "Invaders From Mars" there is a 3-inch folded Unitron refractor in the boys bedroom.

Yes, and it had somme kind of a wierd truss-end on it...maybe something to make it appear like more of a profesional-observatory class telescope??? In the movie "Impact" which I believe was several hours long (i watched it a long time ago...can't remember if I've even got the title right) where a piece of neutron star crashed into the moon during a meteor shower, therefore changing the mass thoroughly of the moon itself. I can't remember exactly what telescope the main astronomer was using in the movie, but it definitely was a large cassegrain of some sort. It was sad to see him die at the end of the movie on the moon. Excellent movie, and I highly suggest that everyone try to see it one way or another. The only negative thing I'd have to say is that there sure was a "quick fix" in the end for such a large and complicated/sophisticated problem. Also...just another bit of a critique, I believe that that astronomer was the founder or something of a piece of neutron star that landed on Earth due to the collision. He walked right up to a base-ball sized piece in a crater, if I remember correctly...I'm pretty sure that neglects the laws of physics or soemthing. From the reading I've done, I'm pretty sure that neutron star material has to be heated to be that dense, and when it cools it expands explosively...the relatively "nice" conditions of the Earth are a bit mild for it to just be like that, for sure.

Clear skies,
Brandon Doyle

#23 flyznest

flyznest

Sputnik

• Loc: tucson

Posted 01 January 2012 - 05:22 PM

in the iconic 80s flick "can't buy me love", the main character was in a store testing it a 6" meade cometracker.

#24 ams

ams

Vostok 1

• Loc: Fremont, CA.

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:08 PM

Never Say Never Again ( 1983 )
James Bond looking into telescope and look like a Celestron modified.

At this link you can download the scene of the telescope:
http://alag3.mfa.kfki.hu/astro/Movies/

Does anybody know the type of telescope in this film?.. Celestron?..

#25 oldtimer

oldtimer

Apollo

• Loc: Lake County Illinois

Posted 01 January 2012 - 11:15 PM

I was watching a 'B' movie the other night called 'Restiturion' In it our investigator hero is questioning a 'peeping tom" type nerd in the nerd's apartment. The nerd has 3 scopes set up by his balcony windo , 2 refractors and a 4.5" newt which is set up BACKWARDS with the mirror end toward the window.. Our hero even takes a peek through it. What a laugh!

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics