• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Fox1971

Fox1971

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Oregon

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:09 PM

I have an opportunity to buy a Selsi No 274 60 MM Selsi Altazimuth Mount Refractor locally. It is packed in the original wooden crate which is in excellent shape and the scope, mount and parts are still wrapped in plastic. I do not believe the scope was ever used or even taken out of the box. Only $75-wondering if there are opinions on whether it would be a worthwhile purchase since it appears unused. I think these were f/15? Thanks all.

#2 David E

David E

Aurora

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:57 PM

Not having seen it, I don't see how you could go wrong with that price, as long as the optics are in good shape, I'd say that's worth considering.

#3 roscoe

roscoe

curmudgeon

• Loc: NW Mass, inches from VT

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:54 PM

Fox,

I recently encountered a vintage Selsi 60mm alt-az scope that was Japanese, but had a plastic objective cell, and a metal tube with a seam - like a piece of stove pipe - along it. Many Selsi's are fine scopes, this one wasn't. Check this before you open your wallet......
On the other hand, you might have a fine deal in hand.....
Russ

#4 apfever

apfever

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 04 January 2012 - 07:37 PM

Fox,

I'd give that a shot for $75. Even though it is wrapped up, open the wrapping and check the optics. If you do it in daylight, you can still to a terrestrial check to make sure there are no gross errors in the optics. I'd check it if it was local to me.

Neil

#5 AstroPhys

AstroPhys

Viking 1

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:03 PM

http://www.cloudynig...80/Main/4819662

See this thread for more info on Selsi scopes. Look for japan on the label and metal focuser knobs as a clue to quality, then check the optics. I have a vintage pair of Selsi binoculars that are absolutely the best I have ever used. At that price, it is a bargain if it is one of the good ones.

#6 strdst

strdst

Soyuz

• Loc: Oregon Territory

Posted 05 January 2012 - 02:03 AM

Hi Fox,

I would speculate that this is a 60mm X 700mm (very maybe 800mm). Although longer fl 60mm scopes were put on alt/az mounts (60 X 1000mm SPI) usually they were shorter fl. The silver tube and styrofoam inserts in the case remind me of a TOWA (would be a small circled T on the focuser) product marketed through Sears as well as other names Can't see too many details but the condition appears to be new which is pretty amazing for a 40 plus year old anything!

Please let us know what you find out.

other keith

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics