• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigdob24

bigdob24

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Central Illinois

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:30 PM

Anyone have any experiance with this mount. I have a Williams Optics 132mmFLT that I would be using, about 25lbs maybe a bit more.
Like to know about movement , stability , vibration .
Any commits good or bad would be considered before I purchess
Thanks
Dan

#2 stevew

stevew

Now I've done it

• -----
  • Loc: British Columbia Canada

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

I was curious about this mount as well.
There must be someone out there with one of these mounts.
It's hard to get an idea on the size of the M150 mount from the Stellarvue web site.
It would be nice to see a picture of one with a scope on it.
The specs say it has a 45 lb load capacity.
Does that mean I can mount my C11 on it?

Steve

#3 GShaffer

GShaffer

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Bogart, Ga USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:34 PM

I have its predecessor the M7 and love it....use my C11 on it regularly. I find it works best with the C11 if I have something on the other side to offset the weight with the C11 on it. From talking to Vic the M150 has a larger bottom bearing (6 inch I beleive) hence a bit higher capacity. Mine has the encoder kit and combined with my Skycommander it makes it my favorite larger capacity Alt-Az mount.

You should have NO complaints with the WO 132mm based on my experience with the M7 given the M150 is an improvement on an already great mount.

The tripod they offer for it is also VERY good.....I beleive I have a pic with my C11 and a 140NA vixen on it. This is a bit loaded and there is a slight bit of stiction but with a bit of practice its very usable....

Attached Files

#4 Craig Anderson

Craig Anderson

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:24 PM

I picked up an M150 at the Arizona Science and Astronomy Expo last Sunday and so far I've been very impressed with it. I'm using a Lunt LS152 H-Alpha scope on one side an an AP155 with a Herschel Wedge on the other all on top of a G11 tripod.

Both of these scopes are pretty heavy, and definitely exceed the stated capacity of 45 pounds. Although I didn’t have any saddles that quite fit, I found that the AP Dove8 saddles I had around do have a hole pattern that can be used as long as you don’t mind a bit of an offset from the plane of rotation and so I gave them a try. Later I found that by adjusting the mount assembly a bit I could use the AP Dove8 saddles properly aligned with the axis of rotation, which I have since done, and its even better.

The bottom line is that the M150 works great. It handled the load I described well with smooth and precise motion in altitude and stiffer but entirely acceptable motion in azimuth. Surprisingly the images from the scopes lined up quite well- certainly well enough for low power solar viewing- which was awesome for comparing features visible in chromosphere and photosphere between the two scopes. I also tried using just the LS152 on the mount (~28 lbs), which created an offset load, to see if the motions would remain smooth. That configuration also worked just fine.

I have some pictures of the setup at http://www.craignamy...lery2/main.php.

Attached Files

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics