CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Something for nothing: Celestron C90

• Please log in to reply
360 replies to this topic

#351 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

• Loc: Per sylvam ad astra

Posted 21 March 2015 - 08:26 PM

These scopes are tools, find what you can tolerate and use it. For myself I have found the C5 does what I need. It is the same weight as the C90, about as long, cools faster, has more light gathering/resolution than all the above scopes, utilizes the same focal length, has a ~26mm rear baffle vs ~16mm  rear baffle in the C90, can fit the brighter Pleiades in the same FOV, and is extremely portable. For me it is the "something for nothing scope". Decide what you like, get it, use it, love the sky!

I agree about the C5.  It comes closest to a master-of-all-trades light-weight grab-n-go scope.  It cannot match the wide-field low-power views of a C80ED, but when fitted with a 2" diagonal and 2" eyepieces, it surpasses the C90 in TFOV.  And it betters both C90 and C80ED in light grasp.  The C5 also has greater resolving power than the C90, and also the C80ED, at least theoretically.  But the C80ED has better contrast and cools quicker than the C5.   So overall, I would tend to use the C80ED for planet/lunar/doubles, at least during the colder months, and the C5 more for DSO, except the much larger ones, where the C80ED would show an advantage.

Mike

#352 karstenkoch

karstenkoch

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: GMT+9

Posted 21 March 2015 - 09:58 PM

Here may be another something (90mm Mak) for nothing ($139)...used.

http://www.skiesunli...ixen-Viper.html

#353 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted 22 March 2015 - 08:57 AM

That Vixen Viper 90mm Mak is a table-top scope.  The drawback for a table-top scope is that you need to carry along a table.  I've always thought that such scopes only work out well if the owner already has a big, sturdy table - like a picnic table - that they keep permanently in the yard.  Otherwise they are pretty much useless.

Mike

• DocFinance and Ahab like this

#354 schang

schang

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: columbia, sc

Posted 22 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

There are two things that a C90 excels: No CA at high mags, and easy on the mount requirements, even in a windy condition. The latter afford me to use it as an ultimate G-n-G scope, period.  I always have a bino or two by my side to take care of wide field view, which is much more convenient and comfortable than a short tube telescope of any kind.  I am also using my C90 as a terrestrial scope during the day just about daily, along with my 7x bino... YMMV, but for me, this is a very versatile scope that I will keep it as long as I am able... 

#355 Steve C.

Steve C.

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Sugar Land, TX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:19 PM

I got a chance to hook my Canon to my C90 that I got a few weeks ago.  Not bad on the moon.

Attached File  moon_c90 copy.jpg   273.14KB   7 downloads

• Starman81, DocFinance and BillShakes like this

#356 RodgerHouTex

RodgerHouTex

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted Yesterday, 10:23 AM

I got a chance to hook my Canon to my C90 that I got a few weeks ago.  Not bad on the moon.

attachicon.gifmoon_c90 copy.jpg

Beautiful pic!

• Steve C. likes this

#357 DocFinance

DocFinance

Viking 1

• Loc: Clear Lake, Texas

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

That Vixen Viper 90mm Mak is a table-top scope.  The drawback for a table-top scope is that you need to carry along a table.  I've always thought that such scopes only work out well if the owner already has a big, sturdy table - like a picnic table - that they keep permanently in the yard.  Otherwise they are pretty much useless.

Mike

That's pretty good for the price, though.  Might be worth a shot.  You could always rig up a wedge and tripod for it.

#358 Starman81

Starman81

Vanguard

• Moderators
  • Loc: Metro Detroit, MI, USA

Posted Yesterday, 11:15 AM

There are two things that a C90 excels: No CA at high mags, and easy on the mount requirements, even in a windy condition. The latter afford me to use it as an ultimate G-n-G scope, period.  I always have a bino or two by my side to take care of wide field view, which is much more convenient and comfortable than a short tube telescope of any kind.  I am also using my C90 as a terrestrial scope during the day just about daily, along with my 7x bino... YMMV, but for me, this is a very versatile scope that I will keep it as long as I am able... 

I am operating under these same assumptions (they are facts for you but assumptions for me until I prove them out to myself!). 

There is "grab'n'go" and then there is grab'n'go. All my darn G-n-G's eventually gain so much weight that they really aren't G-n-G's anymore. Either the scope or mount gets upgraded to a point where the portability is compromised. Case in point: my SW 120ED. Meant to be a G-n-G... Not too heavy a scope overall, but long and large and with the AT Voyager Mount + extension pier + CG5 steel tripod --> somewhat of a beast requiring two trips. 

But like you said, the C90 on a lightweight mount/tripod combination is an 'ultimate grab'n'go'! I have a DwarfStar mount and now waiting on the Slik 700DX Pro tripod to come in. 

• BillShakes likes this

#359 Sarkikos

Sarkikos

Hubble

Posted Yesterday, 11:40 AM

There is "grab'n'go" and then there is grab'n'go. All my darn G-n-G's eventually gain so much weight that they really aren't G-n-G's anymore. Either the scope or mount gets upgraded to a point where the portability is compromised. Case in point: my SW 120ED. Meant to be a G-n-G... Not too heavy a scope overall, but long and large and with the AT Voyager Mount + extension pier + CG5 steel tripod --> somewhat of a beast requiring two trips. 

But like you said, the C90 on a lightweight mount/tripod combination is an 'ultimate grab'n'go'! I have a DwarfStar mount and now waiting on the Slik 700DX Pro tripod to come in. 

From my experience, I wouldn't consider any refractor as big as a 4" f/10 or bigger to be a grab-n-go scope.   They and the mounts they require are just too big, long and awkward for easy grab-n-go for many observers.   If you need to bring your mounted scope down stairs, out through a standard-sized house door and maybe down more stairs from the porch, forgetaboutit.  You're talking two trips unless you enjoy a struggle and like to live on the edge.  The only exceptions are if you park your mounted scope right beside the sliding doors to your deck or inside your garage.  Shoot, in those situations a 10" Dob could be a grab-n-go!

The C90 is a very nice grab-n-go scope.  Extremely compact and light.  I recently snagged a UA MicroStar on sale.  Sometimes I wish I still had my C90, because it would be the ideal little scope for that mount.

But so far IME the C5 is the ideal grab-n-go scope.  True g-n-g, not "open the sliding doors and schlep the scope onto the deck" g-n-g like your 4" and larger refractors.   I can put the C5 in a little padded bag or knapsack, sling a tripod and folding stool across my shoulders and walk the whole kit and kaboodle a couple miles to an observing site in my neighborhood.  Try doing that with a C102.  Well, you could do it, but it would be quite a work out.  

Mike

#360 OrdinaryLight

OrdinaryLight

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted Yesterday, 12:32 PM

Mike

That's pretty good for the price, though.  Might be worth a shot.  You could always rig up a wedge and tripod for it.

The Viper mount has a tripod socket on the bottom so you can put the whole thing on a decent photo tripod. The mount is electric only, no clutches for manual use though the OTA has a standard Vixen dovetail on the right side and could easily be moved to another mount. Not only that it has an additional tripod mounting plate on the underside of OTA. The fact that it includes a dew shield is pretty great too. Overall that thing looks like a great deal.

• Sarkikos likes this

#361 Leda

Leda

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: NC

Posted Yesterday, 07:47 PM

Don't tell the Questar folks that :) :)

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics