Photo

Helpful Advice for Novice Amateur Astronomers & How to Locate Some of the Major Messier Galaxies

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 FrankJ

FrankJ

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Ohio

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

If I ever see a galaxy with my10 X and 20X binoculars it will make my day. I'm going to read all of the above informations and give it a shot on a night with a good dark star. If this ever happens, it would be awesome to me.l I'm going to have a glass of wine to celebrate--maybe two.

#77 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 23 March 2014 - 10:24 PM

If I ever see a galaxy with my 10 X and 20X binoculars it will make my day.

Funny you should say that, because that's how I'm choosing tonight's targets for my dSLR and a zoom lens on my SkyTracker.

Even in my red, fringing on white zone, I can sweep up M51, M65, M66, M 81, M82, etc in my 11 X 65 binoc's.

#78 Allan...

Allan...

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Penticton B.C. Canada

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:06 PM

Last night was a perfect night out; so I figured that I would try to find M13 again; hadn't seen it in a while. Managed it;no problem, even in my semi-light polluted skies. Of course the easier targets like Mars, Jupiter and Saturn were also impressive; seeing was good. Then, after I found M13, I was cruising around in the Eastern skies and came across something that I didn't think it was possible for me to ever see from the city, in my 8" dob - M57, the Ring Nebula. I had never tried before; and just happened to have the right eyepiece installed at the time (ES24 68°); there was no question as to what I was seeing. Wow! I felt like shouting out....but it was after midnight and didn't think the neighbours would appreciate it, plus they would likely all turn their yard lights on to find out what the excitement was all about...lol. The usual eyepieces that I would normally "cruise" with are the 30 and 38mm; and in them, I'm sure that I could've easily missed it; slightly more magnification was needed and the 24mm filled the bill. I love moonless nights; even in the city, one can find a fair bit to keep interested in this great hobby!

#79 Love Cowboy

Love Cowboy

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Houston, TX USA

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:58 AM

The usual eyepieces that I would normally "cruise" with are the 30 and 38mm; and in them, I'm sure that I could've easily missed it; slightly more magnification was needed and the 24mm filled the bill.

I can vouch for this. In that scope, with a 30mm+ eyepiece, it would require VERY careful observation to distinguish the Ring from a star. Whenever I look for the Ring I just stick with high(er) power even just to locate the thing, because it's easy enough to find the right area for it, and it helps to distinguish it from the starfield.

#80 no1453

no1453

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Colorado, USA

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:06 AM

It's been said many times, but thanks for a list of the brighter galaxies; it's exactly what I needed. Sometimes having an ephemeris with a list of 25,000,000 objects just gets in the way!

#81 Island Doc

Island Doc

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 07 June 2014 - 08:28 PM

I just placed my order.

Nightwatch: A Practical Guide to Viewing the Universe

#82 vignettes

vignettes

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: México City

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Very helpful thanks for sharing.

#83 Patrick.carter

Patrick.carter

Sputnik

• Loc: Southern Indiana

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:49 PM

:bow: Thanks for the posts! This is such a great thread on such a great website.  

#84 Dave Mitsky

Dave Mitsky

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: PA, USA, Planet Earth

Posted 01 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Two separate posts of mine were combined into this one for some reason, with a title that doesn't properly indicate the order of those posts.

Dave Mitsky

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics