CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Practical Astronomy with your Calculator or Spread

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Olivier Biot

Olivier Biot

Amused

• Loc: 51°N (Belgium)

Posted 12 January 2012 - 04:06 PM

Book Review: Practical Astronomy with your Calculator or Spreadsheet (4th edition)

By Michael Coren

#2 bluedandelion

bluedandelion

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Hazy Hollow, Western WA

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:18 AM

Nice review.

The book's been around through a number of editions. About 1984 or so I taught myself to program in Basic on a Casio programmable calculator (which had a BASIC interpreter and 2k of memory!). Later I used a ZX Spectrum+ and finally one of the earliest IBM Compatible pcs. I found the algorithms well explained for a freshman or sophomore in college to pick up.

Ajay

#3 mcoren

mcoren

Apollo

• Loc: Virginia, USA

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:40 PM

Hi Ajay,

I have a similar history with this book. I bought the second edition in 1985 when I was a sophomore in college and I wrote a program to compute the positions of planets using Apple's (interpreted) Macintosh Pascal. In the course of debugging it against the step-by-step intermediate results listed in the book, I discovered a serious (and inexcusable, IMHO) bug in Mac Pascal's sine function. I retargeted it to TML Systems' Pascal compiler that came out the following year, and had much better results.

Thanks and Clear Skies!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Recent Reviews

Imaging/Sketching Contest

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics