Did I record a UFO???

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

• Loc: Lawndale NC, USA

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:56 PM

I recorded this with my all sky camera on 1.14.2012. It is not a meteor and not an aircraft. If you notice the trees lit up? At this time I had our outside flood lights on and I was standing looking out the back door in the direction it was going and I didn't see it or hear ANY aircraft!!

Posted Image

Here is a time lapse composite of the pass.............

Posted Image

Any clues? I am not one that believes in UFOs but............ :question:

#2 mrramsey

mrramsey

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hudson, Oh

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:20 PM

Bizarre indeed... if it were warmer there I would say it looked like a bug. It appears to me that it does a dive toward the camera the swoops back off in the distance. Are there any bugs still flying there?
:confused:

#3 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2012 - 03:27 PM

It's possible. it was about 37 degrees at the time I think. The fish eye effect of the camera makes it look like it dips.

#4 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Michigan

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

It looks like it may be an iridium flare. Go ahead and google it. It is a line of satellites that reflects a variable amount of light according to the angle at which some part of the satellite reflects light. They can get very bright.

#5 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 January 2012 - 07:24 PM

Also, you can check when these come around on heavens-above.com. That should verify this.

#6 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 16 January 2012 - 08:04 PM

It looks like it may be an iridium flare. Go ahead and google it. It is a line of satellites that reflects a variable amount of light according to the angle at which some part of the satellite reflects light. They can get very bright.

I have photographed literally hundreds of Iridium flares, they are not visible but for a short time and they are slow moving, that was NOT an Iridium flare.

Iridium flare.......

Posted Image

#7 StarmanDan

StarmanDan

Soyuz

• Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:54 PM

I've seen similar things in my all sky camera. Most likely a bug or bird.

#8 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

I've seen similar things in my all sky camera. Most likely a bug or bird.

Bug possibly.........

But after some more scrutinization and playing it frame by frame, it seems to veer off right at the end and does seem to be "flapping" and has short rounded "wings" so I am thinking it is an OWL swooping down. Or possibly a Nighthawk/Whipoorwill type bird.

#9 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 17 January 2012 - 02:42 PM

Ohh, I realize now that the picture is actually a video! Definately not a satellite by that speed.

#10 Ptarmigan

Ptarmigan

Lagopus lagopus

• Loc: Arctic

Posted 17 January 2012 - 07:09 PM

I am thinking of a high flying airplane. You can see a high flying airplane, but hear little to no noise.

#11 blb

blb

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Piedmont NC

Posted 17 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Did I record a UFO???

Did you identify what it was? No
Did it fly across your sky? Yes
Was it an object and not an illusion? Yes

So yes you did record a UFO. Was it an alien spacecraft? NO! It is probably a bug like has been said already.

#12 Stellarfire

Stellarfire

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Switzerland

Posted 18 January 2012 - 08:46 AM

I looked that video. Hmmmm..., perhaps a re-entry of some old rocket or satellite parts? Or some separated parts of the failed Russian probe Phobos-Grunt?

Stephan

#13 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:08 AM

No, it is not that high up. I am pretty sure it was a bug or owl closer to the camera.

#14 calibos

calibos

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Ireland

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:53 AM

My vote would be Bird and not bug. The composite with the three bulges in the middle to me says.....glide..flap,flap,flap......glide

Bugs can't glide, the must constantly beat their wings be they a moth, beetle, dragonfly etc.

#15 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

That is one fast bird.

#16 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

My vote would be Bird and not bug. The composite with the three bulges in the middle to me says.....glide..flap,flap,flap......glide

Bugs can't glide, the must constantly beat their wings be they a moth, beetle, dragonfly etc.

I'm thinking it was an owl, there has been one hootin' around there for a few days.

#17 lunar

lunar

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

It couldn't have been anything in Space...at least nothing of our origin. If you look at the left side of the image above, it appears to have a little bit of a bent profile...as if it changed direction. The momentum that a satellite would have would require a lot of "push" to change its direction. Also, I'm curious about the level of the Horizon from the craft's origin, or ending point, in the lower right hand of the image. If it's below the tree-line, or cloud-line, as the darker region suggests, I'm guessing it may not be at a very high altitude either, just above your property or something...then again, I wasn't there to witness it, and your eyes would probably suggest something different.

Clear skies,
Brandon Doyle

#18 Megapixelit

Megapixelit

Explorer 1

• Loc: Dobson N.C.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 10:35 AM

No such thing as Aliens Flying in UFO's. Plenty of ufo's out their but with out passengers. Nice shots though, very nice indeed.

#19 MrKrink

MrKrink

Apollo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:22 PM

It couldn't have been anything in Space...at least nothing of our origin. If you look at the left side of the image above, it appears to have a little bit of a bent profile...as if it changed direction. The momentum that a satellite would have would require a lot of "push" to change its direction. Also, I'm curious about the level of the Horizon from the craft's origin, or ending point, in the lower right hand of the image. If it's below the tree-line, or cloud-line, as the darker region suggests, I'm guessing it may not be at a very high altitude either, just above your property or something...then again, I wasn't there to witness it, and your eyes would probably suggest something different.

Clear skies,
Brandon Doyle

It was definitely not a satellite, I have photographed many. I feel sure it probably was of the alien OWL persuasion. There had been a couple hooting around at that time.

By the way Brandon, you know Roger Ivester (LVAS)? I think I got your name off of something he did and that was where I learned about Weebly. Now I have a website thanks to you!!
See below.

#20 bandhunter

bandhunter

Vostok 1

• Loc: North Carolina

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:11 AM

No such thing as Aliens Flying in UFO's. Plenty of ufo's out their but with out passengers. Nice shots though, very nice indeed.

Umm have you ever seen the History Channel? ;)

On a more serious note, I think people focus too much on a ufo(with aliens) having to be a craft per se. Why couldn't the ufo and the passenger be one and the same. Why does a UFO have to be a craft carrying a biological creature from one planet through the void to another planet? I suggest some "ufo" observations have entity potential. :question:

Daniel

#21 haytor

haytor

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Smethwick near Birmingham UK.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:17 AM

I`ve seen these so called UFO`S reported in various programmes, heres a link, if it works, showing what looks very similar to what you captured, often called RODS, and are thought to be bugs flying close to the imaging source.Pay attention to the videos on this page.

http://www.huffingto..._n_1033966.html

regards,

Tom.

#22 bassplayer142

bassplayer142

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:46 PM

Unfortunately, the word UFO is associated with aliens so much I try to avoid the word altogether.

#23 Shawn Garbett

Shawn Garbett

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:24 PM

If you want to pursue the owl theory, buy some mice at a local pet store. Release one around the time you saw the owl. Within about 5 minutes the sharp eyed owl will swoop down and eat the mouse and fly off.

#24 panhard

panhard

It's All Good

• Moderators
  • Loc: Markham Ontario Canada

Posted 28 October 2012 - 10:54 AM

That's got me baffled. :lol:

#25 NorthWolf

NorthWolf

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Eastern Canada

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

I just figured it out, this is what it was.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=Cwxc_zLH560

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics