61 replies to this topic

#51 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors
  • Loc: Sydney, Australia

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:23 AM

You do not need to be connected to any network (home WiFi or 3G/4G) in order to use an Android tablet or an iOS based device with Nexus and SkySafari Plus/Pro. Once you install SkySafari Plus/Pro on your tablet you are all set.

Nexus creates its own WiFi Access Point that any Android based (WiFi enabled) device (or iOS based device or a PC or a Mac) can connect to.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#52 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:38 PM

Serge and others,

I'm interested in using a AstroDevices Nexus with a Nexus 7 [Google 7" Tablet] and SkySafari [for Android] on my Astro-Physics 400 QMD mount. Can you tell me if the encoder cables come with the Nexus? Also, I operate my mount and accessories via a 17 AH 12v battery with cig lighter sockets. Can I operate the Nexus via 12v? Is a cig lighter cord supplied with the Nexus? thanks! -Tim

You do not need to be connected to any network (home WiFi or 3G/4G) in order to use an Android tablet or an iOS based device with Nexus and SkySafari Plus/Pro. Once you install SkySafari Plus/Pro on your tablet you are all set.

Nexus creates its own WiFi Access Point that any Android based (WiFi enabled) device (or iOS based device or a PC or a Mac) can connect to.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#53 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

Hello Tim,

Nexus is supplied with a cigarette lighter adapter and you can power Nexus from 9 to 25V DC.

The encoders cable is not included but can be supplied at extra cost ($10) .

Also, you will need SkySafari Plus or SkySafari Pro as basic version does not support any telescope interface.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#54 zawijava

zawijava

Viking 1

• Loc: West Paris, Maine 04289

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Serge! Another question regarding Firmware Updates. I assume any updates are done via the USB Port on the Nexus? Can updates be accomplished via a Mac? thanks, -Tim

...I think I just answered my own question upon closer review of your website....looks like a yes I believe.

Hello Tim,

Nexus is supplied with a cigarette lighter adapter and you can power Nexus from 9 to 25V DC.

The encoders cable is not included but can be supplied at extra cost ($10) .

Also, you will need SkySafari Plus or SkySafari Pro as basic version does not support any telescope interface.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#55 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Hello Tim,

You are welcome.

Firmware updates are done using a USB flash drive - it just needs to be formatted as FAT32. So, yes, you can use a Mac.

Best regards,
Serge.

#56 LateViewer

LateViewer

Apollo

• Loc: Pelham NY

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

Great thread. I was not aware of the Nexus system. I am still a bit confused about encoders and whose would work best an an Obsession like Dob.

#57 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:26 PM

The most popular choice for encoders is to use optical 10000 steps per revolution encoders from US Digital:
http://www.usdigital...rotary/shaft/S6 .
Some people use AMT102/AMT103 capacitive encoders (hollow shaft, 8192 steps per revolution) available from http://www.digikey.com. AMT102/AMT103 require a bit of work to install them as they were designed to be mounted on motors.

Best regards,
Serge.

#58 Daud

Daud

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: AZ, Scottsdale

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:18 AM

Serge,

what other specifications for the S6 encoders on the page you pointed to ?

#59 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

The specifications for the S6 encoders are as follows:
1. CPR (counts per revolution) - multiply by 4 to get the number of quadrature steps per revolution.
2. Shaft diameter - most people use 1/4".
3. Index - one of the pins has the index signal - one pulse per revolution, not used by most DSCs.
4. Output - most (if not 100%) DSCs need 'single ended'.
5. Torque - does not really matter which one.

In other words for 10000 steps S6 encoders the part number is S6-2500-250-NE-S-D.

Best Regards,
Serge.

#60 Defenderdan

Defenderdan

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:12 PM

Thanks for this thread! Are there any other write-ups about installing encoders, specifically for a fork drive on a Meade 10" SCT.

#61 Mickey_C

Mickey_C

Ranger 4

• Loc: AZ

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I hope it's not bad form to bring back this old thread... it just seems like the right place to keep this stuff concentrated.

I have a Unistar Deluxe with encoders that setup for interface to a Sky Commander XP4. In reference to the encoders, the mount has a label that says "Encoders 1250 steps/rev 5000 pulse/rev".

I'd like to know if I can just hook that RJ45 cable directly to the Nexus.

#62 astrodevices

astrodevices

Vendor-Astro Devices

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:20 PM

I have a Unistar Deluxe with encoders that setup for interface to a Sky Commander XP4. In reference to the encoders, the mount has a label that says "Encoders 1250 steps/rev 5000 pulse/rev".

I'd like to know if I can just hook that RJ45 cable directly to the Nexus.

Yes, you can use your existing cable with Nexus. Nexus is fully compatible with Sky Commander's encoder cable.

Best Regards,
Serge.

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics