Black Creek Observatory

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Florida

Posted 19 January 2012 - 08:44 PM

I first posted in another thread about moving an existing Observatory. I have decided to not only move it, but to rebuild it into my dream observatory.

Here's the history:

About 20 years ago, I purchased my first real Telescope, a Meade 10" Starfinder on a EQ mount. After lugging it out a few times I decided I HAD to have an observatory. This was a pretty bold move as I this was before the Internet, and I was isolated from any other Hobbyist. I never heard of anyone owning there own OB, and neither had any of my friends, coworkers, or family! I was just 25 years old then, and had no construction experience. What a did was just copy some half built homes I found being constructed, and guessed on how the roof should operate. All in all it worked pretty good considering I had no resources back then, and it was utilized a lot over the next 5 years. Things change though, and eventually the scope was sold, and the OB became a lowly storage shed.

Fast forward to now. We moved from that home about 5 years ago, but kept it as a rental property. The poor OB always ends up being a trash dump for my lousy tenants!

Now, having bought a another large scope, I have found myself having to lug it around as I did 20 years ago. I was ready for another Observatory, but funds are tight this year. The idea to reclaim my old OB and have it moved 10 miles to my current home started to enter my thoughts. After a post on the forum, and a estimate of only $100 to move the beast, I was convinced. I spent all last weekend getting the structure ready for the big move, and laying down footer blocks at it's new home.

Here's a pic of my old friend. Please excuse it's beat appearance. I shall install new siding, and trim, Paint here up, add a 5x10 warm / control room. An ad a 12" concrete pier / footing.

Posted Image

#2 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 22 January 2012 - 08:20 PM

Move Day! The Black Creek Observatory is now at it's new home, and ready for reconstruction to begin.

Got the call about 9AM this morning to meet the driver at my old property. I always said that if a moved I'd take that observatory with me, but could believe I was actually seeing that big building slide up into the air and on the flatbed.

I was planning pictures, but it was touch and go for a few moments, so I concentrated on the effort. The operator had some difficulty getting the building completely off the truck. He finally stack up several blocks, and "drove out" from under it, dropping it 2 feet onto the blocks. This left one end jacked up at a 45 degree angle!!!!!!!!!

Still it was $100 dollars well spent.

Me and the wife spent the rest up the day levering it down from the block stack, and monkeying it around to it's finally level resting spot! We just got back from the lumber yard with $500 in new siding, and lumber. We Will fix it up first, then add a pier, and new rook tracks. The finally touch will be a 6x10 warm room extension, And much further down the road, perhaps a Exploradome.

Much more to come!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#3 Dr Morbius

Dr Morbius

Soyuz

• Loc: ManorvilleNY-but not for long

Posted 26 January 2012 - 10:11 PM

Good luck with your endeavors, William......and keep sending pictures as it progresses.

#4 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:00 PM

Ok, Finally got a chance to start this weekend.

Stage 1: Remove old beat siding!

Posted Image

I decided to re-frame the door opening on a different wall. I may even rough in the warm room window, and door opening into one of the OB walls before hanging the siding on that side. Warm room is still a couple months out however.

Got started on nailing up the new T-111 siding.

I feel the interest in this project may have been low due to the neglected condition of this OB. Believe me, it's about to look a whole lot better! :cool:

Posted Image

#5 starbob1

starbob1

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: IN

Posted 05 February 2012 - 11:11 AM

Good job and a great Idea to reclaim your old observatory.Bob

#6 mikey cee

mikey cee

Cosmos

• Loc: bellevue ne.

Posted 05 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

:foreheadslap:Anyone check under the floor for termites? :crazy:

#7 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2012 - 06:28 PM

NO termites, Other than the siding, It's in very good condition.

#8 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:14 PM

I'd like to post some pics for the record showing how the wall will receive, and support the 4x6 beams that will support the roof when off the building.

I had posted a question about this topic a while back, but had hoped to find a pic or two of my options. Believe it or not, after reading through multiple builds, I couldn't locate even one good picture of the connection. Recently Gastrol has posted some good pics showing this detail, and I'd like to add to that to perhaps help the next guy!

My OB was originally framed years ago without thought as to how the beams would connect, and I ended up setting them on cleats, much as Gastrol has. The contruction was standard practice at the corners, with one wall having a single end stud that was nailed into double studs at the end of the adjoining wall. A lapped top plated tied it all together as shown here:

Posted Image

Temporarily ignore the new stud of the right that was added after cuts were made. I began by making the vertical cut on the right with a sawsall to disconnect the walls.Next a chunk was cut out of the top of the double studs to form a 4X6 Pocket.

-------------------

Posted Image

Next a spacer, and stud was added on the right to support the right hand wall, and reattach it to the other wall.

----------------

Posted Image

Another shot showing the new pocket.

#9 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 11 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

This is looking better every day.

#11 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: los angeles

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:20 PM

Looking very nice and solid! Relocating the obs was a good move.

#12 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:34 AM

Update!

Roof support structure is up and primed

Building is primed and awaiting paint.

V groove casters, and steel track installed, and first roll off has happened.

Posted Image

Posted Image

So how do you install, and align Casters when the roof is currently sitting on top of the walls!

I tried a few different things, all ending up being extremely dangerous.

Then it hit me.
I rushed to Home Depot, and purchased a fence post. I then cut off 4 chucks of posts I stuck one at each corner. All I had to do at that point was gently roll the roof over 6 inches to gain access to the caster mounting areas!

Posted Image

Installing casters. after aprox. 15 years the roof is again wheeled!

Posted Image

#13 BKBrown

BKBrown

Gemini

• Loc: Northern Virginia, USA

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:45 AM

Looking good! This has been a terrific thread on reclaiming your old observatory, can't wait to see the final product...

Clear Skies,
Brian

#14 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

This is looking really good! Ditto on the reclaiming of your old obs.

#15 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Update:

Been a while! The exterior is almost done! Still need to add the door AFTER the Pier is done. Then on to the warm room extension.

I've been fighting a Tin roof since the OB was originally built. The tin had no underlayment and the condensation Rained on everything every morning for the last 20 years, and slowly killed an old Meade Starfinder scope.

NO more!

I ripped off the old tin, and layed down sheathing and tar paper. Then I went with a Fabral steel roof like everyone else. ( I had been jealous!) How do you like the new roof?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#16 Raginar

Raginar

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Rapid CIty, SD

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

Looks awesome :) Fabral makes a wonderful product.

#17 csa/montana

csa/montana

Den Mama

• Loc: montana

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Wow! Congratulations on a beautiful remodel of your old observatory. The new/old observatory will hold many memories for you; knowing you saved it from certain destruction.

Fantastic job! :bow: Thanks for taking us along, on this great trip! :)

#18 Gastrol

Gastrol

Apollo

• -----

Posted 14 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

So clean, very nice job so far!!

#19 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:21 AM

OK, Summer break is over as the winter viewing season is fast approching!

Phase 2 begins!

Now that the basic remodel is complete the good stuff is about to begin. This will include a nice size warm / control room, complete with heating / cooling, mini fridge, and audio system!

#20 Bachus

Bachus

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Nashville,TN.

Posted 19 August 2012 - 11:58 AM

Really a nice building and setup. Just in time for Fall & Winter viewing.

#21 Starman27

Starman27

Skylab

• Moderators
  • Loc: Illinois, Iowa

Posted 19 August 2012 - 02:43 PM

OK! Now I've got to refurbish my observatory. Great work on yours.

#22 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

And so it begins......

PHASE 2

Posted Image

#23 Wmacky

Wmacky

Surveyor 1

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:10 PM

Major construction including the warm room is now finally complete. The exterior just needs some final painting / touch ups, and trim installed. Then it's on to the fun part, the interior!!!! :jump:

I have to say it's pretty much what I have envisioned for a few years. Here's the neat thing. The main OB is 10x10 square which means if I get tired of the ROR, I can roll it right off the edge, and install a Exploradome. I think it would look even better with that dome on it, but alas. It's right on the road next to my house and the neighbors could take issue!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#24 Shannon s

Shannon s

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Bartow FL.

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Nice job on the new skin and trim.Come on winter. :jump:

#25 Gastrol

Gastrol